mount.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin_b

Gents..

Does it matter where you mount the gun on your shoulder as long as your looking straight down the rib?

I have longstanding neck issues and find it most comfortable to shoot with a  high mount and a fairly upright neck. I shoot a reasonably high rib gun with a center bead so im happy the gun is shooting where I point it, ( its just that that's usually not where the clay is going!)

if its comfortable for you then carry on. Many people adopt stances or various other things to protect an ailment.

As long as you can do it repetitiously I don't think it matters where the gun is... providing of course you are constantly breaking the target. The problem is if you are mounting the gun in a way that make the gun movement awkward and shall we say not smooth that is going to lead to missing the target. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you new to shooting? Most beginners struggle to get their shoulder raised, weight over front foot and head forward, which basically creates the right shape to accommodate the stock. If you can't / won't work on that, then maybe a Jones adjuster is your next purchase.

Are you new to shooting? Most beginners struggle to get their shoulder raised, weight over front foot and head forward, which basically creates the right shape to accommodate the stock. If you can't / won't work on that, then maybe a Jones adjuster is your next purchase.
Only been shooting for about 40 years, but cracked a neck vertebrae playing rugby in my 20's  and then did motor sport for 20 plus years, which has basically screwed the ligaments.

I used to shoot game exclusively, but now as retirement beckons that's even more expensive than Motor racing hence my return to clay's.

Just to add a bit of info..  The good/bad thing about game shooting was that's its not really repeatable, you can always blame the birds..  Now Im clay shooting its a bit different, i can normally shoot in the high teens low 20's DTL and the low teens OT. i just seem to have hit a bit of a wall. Hence the question.

thanks for the reply's gents.

I know the feeling re motor racing! Jones adjuster then?
What did you race? I started on Grass track, then Alfa's single make series then Clio cup, after than a bit of historic stuff, in a SD1 and an XJS, and now Im an old man Hill Climbs.

I did karting as a youngster, then in 1990 went into the Toyota F3 series (for pre 81 cars). Then ARP F3, then British F3. Then most success came after, in various sportscar and GT series. My last years were driving a Lister Storm in British and FIA GT.

Another Motorsport ex here, 7 years in 250 gearbox both long and short circuit. Lot of receipts and a few trophies.

On the motorsport theme, me too. F2000, FVauxhall, FRenault and a little F3. Mostly with Mr Hewland’s gearboxes!

I did a couple of seasons with M.E Motorsport (Mike Brain’s team). Your nemesis in F3 and Pro Sport 3000 if I remember correctly.

I did a couple of seasons with M.E Motorsport (Mike Brain’s team). Your nemesis in F3 and Pro Sport 3000 if I remember correctly.
Everyone was my nemesis in F3.. I do remember a heart-in-mouth move round the outside of Mike at Stowe at Silverstone. Ha ha. I did a couple of races for his team in Formula Forward, early days. Not sure he raced in Pro Sport 3000. Maybe they ran a car for a while?

Yes, they ran Nigel Greensall in Pro Sport 3000. Happy days. Seems a very long time ago.

What did you race? I started on Grass track, then Alfa's single make series then Clio cup, after than a bit of historic stuff, in a SD1 and an XJS, and now Im an old man Hill Climbs.
Back in the 80's it was Alfasuds for me and a couple of races in a GTV6. Jack Knight did the internals for one of the 'Sud gearboxes.

Back