Which gun, again

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjevans

With a short term budget of around £4000 I am struggling to make up my mind from the list below for a Sporting Clays gun.  I'm prepared to put the work in (and a little bit more money which I suspect might be needed over the next 6 months) to get the fit right.  

I'm also in a position spend money on lessons pretty much monthly (I shoot every weekend at least once, sometimes twice) so "buy a cheap gun and spend the money on lessons" isn't a factor - the £4K initial budget comes from a deal with my wife involving the sale of other unused sporting equipment (hoping to make a bit more actually as my 12 y old son also wants an air rifle and I'd like to get him a .410 too)

Anyway the list is:

- new Browning 525 and put a TSK/ergosign stock on it

- new or used Beretta 692 and modify stock or maybe put a TSK stock on it

- new Beretta 692 black edition (adj comb)

- new/demo Perazzi MXS (adj comb)

- older used K80 (seems to be the odd one around at ~£4000, figure I will need to factor in a bit extra for an immediate service and maybe some barrel work and woodwork renewal)

I regularly shoot 525 and 692 club guns, pretty much equally well.  I am a clays only shooter and don't care about "traditional" gun looks or engraving, I'm all for functionality.  I do realise a Jones pad, spacers and an adjustable comb can do likely 90% of a TSK/Ergosign thing.

Thoughts ?  Thx

With a short term budget of around £4000 I am struggling to make up my mind from the list below for a Sporting Clays gun.  I'm prepared to put the work in (and a little bit more money which I suspect might be needed over the next 6 months) to get the fit right.  

I'm also in a position spend money on lessons pretty much monthly (I shoot every weekend at least once, sometimes twice) so "buy a cheap gun and spend the money on lessons" isn't a factor - the £4K initial budget comes from a deal with my wife involving the sale of other unused sporting equipment (hoping to make a bit more actually as my 12 y old son also wants an air rifle and I'd like to get him a .410 too)

Anyway the list is:

- new Browning 525 and put a TSK/ergosign stock on it

- new or used Beretta 692 and modify stock or maybe put a TSK stock on it

- new Beretta 692 black edition (adj comb)

- new/demo Perazzi MXS (adj comb)

- older used K80 (seems to be the odd one around at ~£4000, figure I will need to factor in a bit extra for an immediate service and maybe some barrel work and woodwork renewal)

I regularly shoot 525 and 692 club guns, pretty much equally well.  I am a clays only shooter and don't care about "traditional" gun looks or engraving, I'm all for functionality.  I do realise a Jones pad, spacers and an adjustable comb can do likely 90% of a TSK/Ergosign thing.

Thoughts ?  Thx
I shot a Blaser on a game shoot for a drive yesterday and really liked it compare to my Beretta clay gun, you could probably pick up one of those and a TSK stock within budget.  (They do look V cool, although i don't think i would be able to leave the adjustability alone)

With £4k I'd be looking at something the next level up from 680/690 Beretta or 525 Browning. Like a second hand good condition Perazzi MX8/MX12, krighoff k80 or Beretta DT11 level of gun. If new then a Browning 725 pro sport. I don't really know enough about Blaser F16 to comment on them.  Any of them fitted  with a standard type of  adjustable stock will do what you want. 

You mention Browning, but only the 525 ??

I shot a 725 briefly the other day and was really impressed. So much so that I went to my local gunshop this morning to check out the range. Decent trigger pulls and good chokes are standard. 2 grand buys a decent one and you can get a factory fitted adjustable comb if that is required. Different recoil pads (to adjust LOP) and balance weights are also available.

It seemed like a lot of gun for the money. 

I've tried the Blaser F16 and the Browning 725 and didn't like either.   The Blaser I really disliked, I think the grip shape just didn't suit me at all.  

The Browning 725 I was particularly surprised with as I expected to like it.  Possibly I should revisit it.  

Was it the standard 725 Sporter of the ProSport? They are very different animals. I would recommend the ProSport, the 725 Sporter less so...

I've tried all those on your list, several times in fact, and I'd take any CG - either sporter or Ascent version - over any of them except possibly the MXS, depending... But then I can shoot with most standard stocks although some, such as Beretta are lower in the comb than I like.

p.s. Also tried a couple of 725 ProSports. Didn't feel at all comfortable to me and although I don't doubt their shooting qualities, I certainly wouldn't find it an easy gun to switch to,

Was it the standard 725 Sporter of the ProSport? They are very different animals. I would recommend the ProSport, the 725 Sporter less so...
It was the ProSport which made it all the more surprising 

With £4k I'd be looking at something the next level up from 680/690 Beretta or 525 Browning. Like a second hand good condition Perazzi MX8/MX12, krighoff k80 or Beretta DT11 level of gun. If new then a Browning 725 pro sport. I don't really know enough about Blaser F16 to comment on them.  Any of them fitted  with a standard type of  adjustable stock will do what you want. 
Hadn't thought about a DT11.  Good suggestion

Ok, when you refer to "comfort" is it:

* Grip - Width / Swell / Radius

* Stock - Width / Comb / Cast

* Fore end - Width / Shape 

* Action - Height / Width

* Weight / Balance

Just trying to understand what felt *off* compared to the 525 / 692.

Ok, when you refer to "comfort" is it:

* Grip - Width / Swell / Radius

* Stock - Width / Comb / Cast

* Fore end - Width / Shape 

* Action - Height / Width

* Weight / Balance

Just trying to understand what felt *off* compared to the 525 / 692.
Good question - hadn't really analysed it until you asked.  Stock wasn't a great fit and the balance was off.  Now you point it out, I realise both could be adjusted.  I'm just a little put off by my experience with it

If you are looking at buying an adjustable gun you should definitely adjust it so it fits when you try it if the gun room are amenable.

paid £4k for my 30" DT11 sporter, people thought it was new!! to have an adjustable comb fitted is £190, tis a lump but handles superbly and soft to shoot,

also have a 32" B725 black,thats a lot of gun for £2k, handles as good and is soft to shoot as well

Might I suggest that you buy your son a 28 bore, rather than a .410". Get it shortened and KEEP the wood that is removed (to put back later). I use a 28 bore Yildiz for my 2 Grandkids, the youngest at 11 is shooting 14 grams and the 14 year old is using 24 grams in my 20 bore now. The gun has been used by both and will take a bigger load than the .410" as they grow, therefore,  he will get more use out of it.  Oh, and if you want a full size stock for a Yildiz, allowing you to have the occasional 'play', I have one of those too.

Picked up a DT11 earlier this year. 2015 model 32" adjustable comb. Nice oiled wood. £4500. Absolutely love it .the best gun out there period. THE smoothest shooting gun ever. 

Seen a K80 at bywell for just over £4k if that floats your boat. 

Jasper.

2016-11-14-11.15.35-1024x682.jpg

S/H Perazzi MX12 sporter. 30 3/4 M/C barrels with 10 Multichokes. About 9 years old. In good condition and with adjustable stock. £4450 ONO

£4250 to you Matt...............try before you buy in East Sussex. PM if interested ;)

Might I suggest that you buy your son a 28 bore, rather than a .410". Get it shortened and KEEP the wood that is removed (to put back later). I use a 28 bore Yildiz for my 2 Grandkids, the youngest at 11 is shooting 14 grams and the 14 year old is using 24 grams in my 20 bore now. The gun has been used by both and will take a bigger load than the .410" as they grow, therefore,  he will get more use out of it.  Oh, and if you want a full size stock for a Yildiz, allowing you to have the occasional 'play', I have one of those too.
Thanks for the suggestion - will certainly look at this.  If I could find something w 20 and 28 barrels that might be ideal.  Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

S/H Perazzi MX12 sporter. 30 3/4 M/C barrels with 10 Multichokes. About 9 years old. In good condition and with adjustable stock. £4450 ONO

£4250 to you Matt...............try before you buy in East Sussex. PM if interested ;)
Thanks Andy.  I think I met you briefly on the JJ stand at the game fair this year.

I'm actually down Penshurst way next weekend for my wife's sisters birthday so I'll see if I can sneak off to have a look.  I also wanted to go to Chris Potter to have a look at the MXS.

Genuine question as I'm sure you know your P-guns - what makes a used MX12 a potentially better buy than a new MXS ?  I know they are both coil-spring triggers, but not much beyond that if I'm honest.

Anyway, will PM you once I figure out what the arrangements for next weekend are.

Latest posts

Back