DTL first timer

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsera

I've mainly been shooting skeet and a little simple sporting stuff recently. But I didn't have anyone with me to button today, so some nice chaps invited me to have a go at DTL with them. Rather enjoyed myself, stuck with first barrel only for a start to give me chance to reflect on my misses!

57/75 first round (19/25)

54/75 second round (18/25)

Happy with that for a start :)

Definitely looking forward to having another go at it. 

Thanks :)  Used my Lanber, swapped the chokes out (3/4 instead of skeet), whether it made a difference or not I don't know. But it worked... using Hull Comp X in 21g 7.5

It all works when I point it in the right direction anyway.  :huh:

that's a good start ?

use the second barrell next time ?

Thanks :)  Used my Lanber, swapped the chokes out (3/4 instead of skeet), whether it made a difference or not I don't know. But it worked... using Hull Comp X in 21g 7.5

It all works when I point it in the right direction anyway.  :huh:
Being a new shooter myself I was unsure what chokes to use when I started shooting DTL.

So I have played about with using half or 3/4 choke in my bottom barrel at the registered DTL I have shot this year.

I found that using half choke in the bottom barrel increased my score and I now shoot with half and full in my gun when shooting DTL (Ive been using comp X in 28g).

It might be worth giving half a go. 

Unless the choke needs to be tighter with lighter loads???

I shoot 3/8ths and 1/2 or LM and M if you prefer. Don't see the need to anything tighter, although I am no Trap expert I shot my one and only registered DTL comp this year with those chokes through my K80 with Trust 7.5 28gr Plastics and won my class with a  97/282.

Having a go at ABT and DTL on Sunday. Was wondering about chokes and thought about going light on the choke but stick with a decent shell like Black Gold 7.5’s.

3/4 full

1/2 - 3/4 at a push but nothing less, there edge on remember

Having a go at ABT and DTL on Sunday. Was wondering about chokes and thought about going light on the choke but stick with a decent shell like Black Gold 7.5’s.
I shoot UT and  FO with my Perazzi which is fixed at *** and * and I can plaster  targets regularly with the first barrel. The actual size of the choke I have not had confirmed but it should be half... however I have been told by many that Perazzi *** could be as tight as 0.7 or as open as 0.4 I will find out some day :)  thing is it matters not  targets can be, and are, obliterated through a 1/4 choke I have seen it done by a shooter at my club... it is all about putting the target at the centre of the pattern... if you had a SK choke in the first I bet you would break more than you would believe .

Nobody of merit that i know of shoots trap with 1/4. Even 1/2 is pushing it at anything other than DTL and i dont think many DTL lads go less than 3/4

Nobody of merit that i know of shoots trap with 1/4. Even 1/2 is pushing it at anything other than DTL and i dont think many DTL lads go less than 3/4

That is true Ian ... but it can be done... and successfully... although I think 1/4 is just having a laugh it is amazing how the targets break. I shot a round of FO with a well known shooter at Lonato and when we were talking after the round he was quite complementary. When I suggested I was just making up the numbers at the competition, which I was, he came right out and told me I was talking myself down and that " hey you were not just chipping those targets they were powdered" . As I see it at least it is about where you shoot for the better part and naturally because better shooters are more accurate it is natural to use a tighter choke but to be blunt 95% or more of shooters would not know the difference between shooting a 1/2 or a 3/4 ... the other week when I shot 25 straight with 27 cartridges nobody at all asked me what choke I was using... strange that.

My Perazzi has 21 and 32 thou choke constriction. Nothing wrong with my clay breaks using FBlack or Official Trap. I don't think It's underchoked, or feel disadvantaged in any way.

Of more importance is pointing the barrels in the right direction.

My Perazzi has 21 and 32 thou choke constriction. Nothing wrong with my clay breaks using FBlack or Official Trap. I don't think It's underchoked, or feel disadvantaged in any way.

Of more importance is pointing the barrels in the right direction.
The chokes on mine are *** and  * but I have heard although it could be 1/2 and full with Perazzi *** has a wide range? Whatever the first tube is it can, as you say, when pointed in the right direction hammer the targets.

As a final comment. The British shooter Derek Partridge did a very good article on why he thought, in general, trap shooters guns were too tightly choked to shoot targets that were normally shot at a distance of 30-35yds... he eventually settled on 3/8 for his first barrel.

It doesn't matter what's stamped on the barrels, someone could've had the chokes opened up unbeknown to you. The only way to discover the true choke constriction is to measure it against the actual bore diameter.  However, sometimes it's better not to know as the knowledge can play havoc with some people mentally.

I knew Derek Partridge very well when he lived over here.  He's lived in the USA for a number of years, his wife Joyce is American.  I've had many discussions with him regarding shooting matters both technical and political. He was the first President of the BIB in 1973, the forerunner of BICTSF, of which I was President of some thirty years later.  He put Perazzi on the map in America with articles he wrote for their shooting press in the late 60's and early 70's and was a very good friend of Daniele Perazzi. He was always an advocate for more open chokes and encourage me to experiment with my early multichoke bottom barrelled MX8 and I settled on a number 3 or 4.

However, sometimes it's better not to know as the knowledge can play havoc with some people mentally.
How true Phil ! I am happy to keep plugging away with what I have as long as I am breaking the targets they way I am at the moment. I have to say that I am intelligent enough to know it is me that misses the target not the gun :lol:

I don't mind knowing since I also know that the variation in Perazzi choke markings is of no consequence to me.  I suspect that if it were a matter of consequence to Perazzi they would be more definitive in their markings.  Perhaps they are simple realists.  I've had several barrels stamped *** and they all measured somewhere near 0.020" constriction.  I have one marked **** and it measures 0.018"  BFD!  As a first barrel they all are/were capable of killing any target I managed to put the pattern on - just like John suggests - including pigeons.  Actually I found that 0.012" (#3, IC sorta) in the first barrel killed pigeons just fine and was pretty OK as a OT first barrel for me as well but none of the fixed choke barrels I have are that open.

The OCD approach to chokes can be way more destructive than constructive.

JMO of course   YMMV

Back