OT clay on the pip/bead

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b

When shooting OT well i dont see the clay as the trigger is pulled,i almost shoot without seing it atall but i have been toying with getting a trap gun that shoots high enough to let the clay sit on the pip untill it breaks.At the moment the bottom barrel blots out the second shot and top onefirst shot.So the question im asking is do other people lose sight of the clay during the shot or see it right through to the second shot?

I see the target at all times after its release... makes no difference though I still manage to miss the :)  bloody things.

Are you seing it with your rib eye or other eye when you pull through or can you ride the clay on the pip?

i can always see the clay as im shooting it . cant imagine shooting OT and not being able to see it . be bloody impossible 

Its not impossible, as the pip touches the bird i pull the trigger and if i see something after i go at it with more shot but my wrong eye is telling me something has appeared as the barels obscure the rest of the shot.

no not impossible but definitely more difficult than it has to be . surely that doesnt give them enough lead on hard left and right wingers ?

well i suppose if it works for you it must 

for me the clay is always above the bead as i fire 

80% of the time it works,hense the questions,im looking for better and if that means getting a high shooting gun then thats what im going to have to do,but was wondering if that was the norm.

what gun do you use?

ive never seen anyone use anything other than a dedicated trap gun for OT . unless it was at practice and some lad just wanted to try it 

Last edited by a moderator:
nice gun . does it have an adjustable stock ? maybe try raise it up a bit.

not ideal but worth a try

I got extended posts on the comb raiser and its wel jacked up,doesnt seem to make any difference. 

hmm . maybe go to a gun shop that has an OT range and try a dedicated trap gun . or ask someone during practice can you try theirs and see if it helps . you should definately be able to see the clay as you pull the trigger .

i use a Zoli Kronos Trap and i can always see it . i have used a friends Beretta 692 xtrap and its the same 

I was under the impression that the 'high' stock on a Trap gun was to enable the Trap shooter to see the clay at ALL times until after the shot was fired.

I was under the impression that the 'high' stock on a Trap gun was to enable the Trap shooter to see the clay at ALL times until after the shot was fired.
same

the barrells pattern differently i believe aswell though. they pattern higher

when shooting OT or ABT I have no idea I just focus on the clay and my brain pulls the trigger. On the occasions I have tried to analyse it (as I suspect you are Paul) I generally miss and am still none the wiser.

your comment re raising comb making no difference, I found the same thing BUT only if I just shot and didn't analyse it. I concluded some time ago that comb height makes minimal difference in reality (although I stand by the law of physics that say it raises poi) and that setting the comb at a comfortable height is more important.

I got extended posts on the comb raiser and its wel jacked up,doesnt seem to make any difference. 
Where are you based  ?  I have a Winchester Supergrade with a VERY high stock that could do with an outing,  if you wish to give it a go ?

Ips im not trying to over think it when shooting but as im from sporting i know what the gun is doing in relation to target in all situations, and although blotting it out like a fast teal works most of the time i cant help thinking a high shooting gun may alow me to control the clay more with the gun.

Westley im in Staffordshire, thanks for the offer,definitely going to be trying as many as possible over the off season.

paul

ok, in that case your current set up of 50-50 is way too flat for consistent trap. 60-40 even 70-30 may not necessarily benefit but it definitely wont harm your scores.

Back