Kids starting shooting..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

My youngest is desperate to come shooting, to watch and button and maybe accompany me on the peg.  I'm concerned that this could cause damage to his hearing even with ear defenders, is there any age that this activity becomes less risky??

I have taken my Grandkids shooting with me, at both clays and game (and their Parents, before them). I have always used the kids sized ear muffs and small sized sunglasses with plastic lenses, try the cycling glasses, cos I believe they, and I quote, "look cool". Neither of my 2 Daughters or my Grandkids have shown any sign of deafness with the possible exception of the 28 years old Grandson, but strangely only when discussing his lack of money !  The youngest Grandson is still wearing the 'hand me downs' and he is aged 11, Oh, and YES, we have now bought the eldest Daughter a T.V. for their bedroom !

I have taken my Grandkids shooting with me, at both clays and game (and their Parents, before them). I have always used the kids sized ear muffs and small sized sunglasses with plastic lenses, try the cycling glasses, cos I believe they, and I quote, "look cool". Neither of my 2 Daughters or my Grandkids have shown any sign of deafness with the possible exception of the 28 years old Grandson, but strangely only when discussing his lack of money !  The youngest Grandson is still wearing the 'hand me downs' and he is aged 11, Oh, and YES, we have now bought the eldest Daughter a T.V. for their bedroom !
Excellent, thanks, managed to find some small safety glasses that fit really well and my old Debden over ear seem fine. Funnily enough in this weeks junk mail was a reminder for audiologist so I will ask him too.

Excellent, thanks, managed to find some small safety glasses that fit really well and my old Debden over ear seem fine. Funnily enough in this weeks junk mail was a reminder for audiologist so I will ask him too.
Just check the over ear fit on Adult defenders though. The cups on the specific kids model are smaller and so is the frame. Have a look on fleabay, they are not expensive, well NOT when compared to 'hearing aids' , and they are available in dayglow pink or green too  !

Just check the over ear fit on Adult defenders though. The cups on the specific kids model are smaller and so is the frame. Have a look on fleabay, they are not expensive, well NOT when compared to 'hearing aids' , and they are available in dayglow pink or green too  !
Good advice, I'm actually going to book my review after school and take him along..

Use both . In ear and ear muffs . He/she won’t be able to hear anything tho ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back