Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
PP

Kids starting shooting..

Recommended Posts

PP

My youngest is desperate to come shooting, to watch and button and maybe accompany me on the peg.  I'm concerned that this could cause damage to his hearing even with ear defenders, is there any age that this activity becomes less risky??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davy_B

what age is he ?

 

have a look at this 

 

http://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/age-youngsters-start-shooting-37654 

 

unless they are very very young i would think as long as you can get ear protection that fits them properly you should be fine . obviously get the best ear protection you can get with the highest rating 

 

Edited by Davy_B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP
13 minutes ago, Davy_B said:

what age is he ?

 

have a look at this 

 

http://www.thefield.co.uk/shooting/age-youngsters-start-shooting-37654 

 

unless they are very very young i would think as long as you can get ear protection that fits them properly you should be fine . obviously get the best ear protection you can get with the highest rating 

 

Thanks, he is nearly 7

My concern is that the peltor kids ear defenders that he uses to watch motorsport aren't good enough..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips

use foam plugs AND ear defenders 👍

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davy_B

well i see that those peltors are designed for up to 7 year olds so maybe move him on to an adult set with foam ear plugs. these are the highest protection i know of and are what i use and they are excellent 

 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-X5A-37274-AAD-Over-the-Head-Earmuffs-10-EA-Case?N=5002385+3294326317&rt=rud 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP

In not so sure foam plugs are a good idea in kids ears..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
1 hour ago, PP said:

In not so sure foam plugs are a good idea in kids ears..

I wouldn't personally worry about the foam ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP

Ok cool, thanks guys!

Ian, check out the 🐶 muffs on the link above!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
5 minutes ago, PP said:

Ok cool, thanks guys!

Ian, check out the 🐶 muffs on the link above!

ooh Dora the explorer, I like her 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP
55 minutes ago, ips said:

ooh Dora the explorer, I like her 😁

Tone it down Saville, I meant the ear protection for dags. 🐶 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley

I have taken my Grandkids shooting with me, at both clays and game (and their Parents, before them). I have always used the kids sized ear muffs and small sized sunglasses with plastic lenses, try the cycling glasses, cos I believe they, and I quote, "look cool". Neither of my 2 Daughters or my Grandkids have shown any sign of deafness with the possible exception of the 28 years old Grandson, but strangely only when discussing his lack of money !  The youngest Grandson is still wearing the 'hand me downs' and he is aged 11, Oh, and YES, we have now bought the eldest Daughter a T.V. for their bedroom !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP
1 minute ago, westley said:

I have taken my Grandkids shooting with me, at both clays and game (and their Parents, before them). I have always used the kids sized ear muffs and small sized sunglasses with plastic lenses, try the cycling glasses, cos I believe they, and I quote, "look cool". Neither of my 2 Daughters or my Grandkids have shown any sign of deafness with the possible exception of the 28 years old Grandson, but strangely only when discussing his lack of money !  The youngest Grandson is still wearing the 'hand me downs' and he is aged 11, Oh, and YES, we have now bought the eldest Daughter a T.V. for their bedroom !

Excellent, thanks, managed to find some small safety glasses that fit really well and my old Debden over ear seem fine. Funnily enough in this weeks junk mail was a reminder for audiologist so I will ask him too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley
1 minute ago, PP said:

Excellent, thanks, managed to find some small safety glasses that fit really well and my old Debden over ear seem fine. Funnily enough in this weeks junk mail was a reminder for audiologist so I will ask him too.

Just check the over ear fit on Adult defenders though. The cups on the specific kids model are smaller and so is the frame. Have a look on fleabay, they are not expensive, well NOT when compared to 'hearing aids' , and they are available in dayglow pink or green too  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PP
1 hour ago, westley said:

Just check the over ear fit on Adult defenders though. The cups on the specific kids model are smaller and so is the frame. Have a look on fleabay, they are not expensive, well NOT when compared to 'hearing aids' , and they are available in dayglow pink or green too  !

Good advice, I'm actually going to book my review after school and take him along..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Craigo

Use both . In ear and ear muffs . He/she won’t be able to hear anything tho 😂

Edited by Craigo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
35 minutes ago, Craigo said:

Use both . In ear and ear muffs . He/she won’t be able to hear anything tho 😂

that's what I use at home so I cant hear the Mrs 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
balltrap
47 minutes ago, ips said:

that's what I use at home so I cant hear the Mrs 😉

Surprising ! I thought it would be the Mrs that was wearing them :wink: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
31 minutes ago, balltrap said:

Surprising ! I thought it would be the Mrs that was wearing them :wink: 

oh bollox your right, I got it the wrong way around 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
westley

 

HaHaHaHa  !

 

33 minutes ago, balltrap said:

Surprising ! I thought it would be the Mrs that was wearing them :wink: 

 

I always have the last laugh  !  I just flick the switch to OFF..............end of  !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ips
57 minutes ago, westley said:

 

HaHaHaHa  !

 

 

I always have the last laugh  !  I just flick the switch to OFF..............end of  !

I guess being deaf as a post has its up side............I SAID BEING DEAF 😁

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×