Colours??

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAWY

Hi folks,

i am just seeking your views on the different colours of lenses on shooting glasses. I have a very cheap pair of Brownings in yellow which seem ok, but I do see many guns at the club wearing a whole spectrum of colours. Do certain colours suit different conditions?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi folks,

i am just seeking your views on the different colours of lenses on shooting glasses. I have a very cheap pair of Brownings in yellow which seem ok, but I do see many guns at the club wearing a whole spectrum of colours. Do certain colours suit different conditions?

Cheers,

Ian
Yes they do is the correct answer but in practice these colours seem only to empty the vast majority of shooters pockets of money. There are exceptions but by and large you will rarely see anyone changing lens either at the beginning, middle or end of a shoot regardless of light, cloud or sun conditions, people buy these packs then stand in the garden for 5 minutes and decide which one they're gonna run with, that's the honest reality regardless of the science behind it. 

As Hamster says really. I use two - smoked for summer and a dark orange for winter (i try to get away with the darkest possible). However i did shoot a stand with a friends set of red pilla glasses the other week, crikey they were bright. If you look at the adds, how many show a black clay against any background?  It is what suits you at the end of the day and the amount of bs about different shades is mind boggling. A lot of people like to look good though  :)

in changeable uk light whichever of the £100 + lens you put on at 10am will be the wrong one by 10-15am I have tried god knows how many types and colours and concluded that a good pair of clear and a good pair of very slight tint (think slight tint sunglasses) is all you need.

just my opinion but yo me its just one more thing to have to get right and one more thing to blame

have a look here. probably the most detailed chart ive ever seen .

http://lmlenses.com/lens-color-chart/

personally i use light Purple for all conditions . i find it easy on the eyes and it makes the clay pop for me and dulls the backround .

dont get too hung up on it . i see people at shoots changing their lenses 5 times between the time they sart and finish and it rarely makes a difference to how they shoot

The absurd thing is that on many stands you will have two different colour clays and there may well be very different light/background, it is common for instance to have to tackle a high clay against the background of sky and then immediately drop down to an orange rabbit running amongst blackish debris or a white clay sailing against green vegetation. The whole thing is a load of old baloney for the majority of shooters, back in the day when glasses hadn't properly been invented for shooting everyone shot without and many straights were recorded in Trap as well as Skeet, even today there are some high calibre ESP shots  who prefer shooting without glasses. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they do is the correct answer but in practice these colours seem only to empty the vast majority of shooters pockets of money. There are exceptions but by and large you will rarely see anyone changing lens either at the beginning, middle or end of a shoot regardless of light, cloud or sun conditions, people buy these packs then stand in the garden for 5 minutes and decide which one they're gonna run with, that's the honest reality regardless of the science behind it. 
Brilliant! This made me laugh, it's a trap that everyone gets caught in starting out I think.  I now use two pairs for clays, I have very light sensitive eyes so I use a purple tint most of the time then a dark pair if pits really bright.

I use yellow or rose tinted glasses for game shooting..

The absurd thing is that on many stands you will have two different colour clays and there may well be very different light/background, it is common for instance to have to tackle a high clay against the background of sky and then immediately drop down to an orange rabbit running amongst blackish debris or a white clay sailing against green vegetation. The whole thing is a load of old baloney for the majority of shooters, back in the day when glasses hadn't properly been invented for shooting everyone shot without and many straights were recorded in Trap as well as Skeet, even today there are some high calibre ESP shots  who prefer shooting without glasses. 
It is crazy, a case of finding the best all rounder for the individual, light purple suits me best unless it's welding goggles bright!

For game I think they are handy - well a decent dark lens and something that assists in poor light anyway - pay a fortune to shoot and then get drawn on a peg that has the Sun glaring directly in your eyes is a complete pain but aside from the welding mask lens for the direct sun I would tend to agree that I generally use the same light purple for other light conditions despite having some others 

My welding mask is the Pilla 9 polarised that Ed Lyons suggested - really helps on the relatively rare UK occasions when forced to shoot with direct sun issues 

On report pairs I simply change glasses between shots. On sim pairs i have a different colour for each eye and swap eye dominance.

Latest posts

Back