Is this cheating?.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iantay16

I have a mate who shoots sporting two or three times a week at his local ground, he relates to himself as a snap shooter due to how early he takes the clays,he always shoots with his 26" barrel o/u skeet gun, I must admit he does really Well and consistently finishes in the top three, however when I have gone to watch him all I can hear the other shooters harp on about is remarks like, ( he's using a bloody skeet gun, anyone can cheat, I'd like to see him using a " proper" sporter or trap gun, I bet he doesn't hit as many then!.). My question is this, is what he is doing classed as cheating in sporting or is this just sour grapes from the other "" not as good"" competitors, 

I have a mate who shoots sporting two or three times a week at his local ground, he relates to himself as a snap shooter due to how early he takes the clays,he always shoots with his 26" barrel o/u skeet gun, I must admit he does really Well and consistently finishes in the top three, however when I have gone to watch him all I can hear the other shooters harp on about is remarks like, ( he's using a bloody skeet gun, anyone can cheat, I'd like to see him using a " proper" sporter or trap gun, I bet he doesn't hit as many then!.). My question is this, is what he is doing classed as cheating in sporting or is this just sour grapes from the other "" not as good"" competitors, 
You can use what you like in terms of barrel length so long as they are legal length.  He may very well struggle with much longer barrels as he is used to such short ones but no-one knows until he tries.  He's definitely not in the normal range of barrel lengths used by most serious clay shooters but then neither am I with 28 inch barrels.

Sour grapes.  If using a 26" barrel skeet gun gave you a significant advantage in shooting sporting everyone would use one.

I suggest that the local ground probably has a lot of close, quickish targets that suit being shot early.  If your mate tried to take some of the more distant targets you see at some grounds very early he'd find that his success rate wasn't as high.

You can use what you like in terms of barrel length so long as they are legal length.  He may very well struggle with much longer barrels as he is used to such short ones but no-one knows until he tries.  He's definitely not in the normal range of barrel lengths used by most serious clay shooters but then neither am I with 28 inch barrels.
Yes your right there, he does struggle with longer barrels and I've actually seen him get really good results on the high towers with his skeet gun.atb.

Sour grapes.  If using a 26" barrel skeet gun gave you a significant advantage in shooting sporting everyone would use one.

I suggest that the local ground probably has a lot of close, quickish targets that suit being shot early.  If your mate tried to take some of the more distant targets you see at some grounds very early he'd find that his success rate wasn't as high.
I thought it was myself, and your right the ground does have quite a lot of close /quick targets.atb.

It's certainly not cheating, you're allowed anything from 24" upwards here but I suspect the other shooters need some mid week practice because you can hit close targets with long guns too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It's certainly not cheating, you're allowed anything from 24" upwards here but I suspect the other shooters need some mid week practice because you can hit close targets with long guns too. 
I completely agree, and thanks for clarifying the minimum length for me, ATB.

Lantay, as a newbie looking to find the secret of high scores you will (I guarantee) spend at least the next two years looking for a way of legally "cheating" or at least finding some advantage through equipment that maybe the other shooters haven't quite discovered. You will also read an advertisement that implies that a gun / chokes / cartridge is a way of circumnavigating the need for ability. Then one day - a sad occasion it is too - you will just realise and admit that there is no substitution for good method, practice and more practice. As soon as you can accept this, the more money you will save and the more your ability will increase.

As you may realise, the above is written to my younger self also..

Last edited by a moderator:
never heard as much nonsense tell them they are a holes

Lantay, as a newbie looking to find the secret of high scores you will (I guarantee) spend at least the next two years looking for a way of legally "cheating" or at least finding some advantage through equipment that maybe the other shooters haven't quite discovered. You will also read an advertisement that implies that a gun / chokes / cartridge is a way of circumnavigating the need for ability. Then one day - a sad occasion it is too - you will just realise and admit that there is no substitution for good method, practice and more practice. As soon as you can accept this, the more money you will save and the more your ability will increase.

As you may realise, the above is written to my younger self also..
I know exactly what you are saying and agree totally, I haven't been at it very long but I have already decided what gun I am going to use ""every time I shoot"" it's nothing fancy just a Lanber sporter 30", and it fits me like a glove, I am using cartridges from the grounds that I go shooting at until I manage to improve then I will find the ones that do the gun justice, every day is a learning curve but I am enjoying every single minute of it, ATB.

A gentleman I shoot with borrowed my Mirage (with Tula chokes) to shoot some skeet.  He said those chokes were like cheating.

Obviously, people happy with the gun they have should be penalized and made to use something else less satisfactory.  It would only be fair.

indeed Charlie, in fact lets all use a single barrel .410 surely that cannot be construed as advantageous.

I have heard some bull spoken at clay grounds in my +30 years of shooting but the above anecdote is the biggest pile of bull excrement one is ever likely to hear ?

Latest posts

Back