Time for shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Ok so we know that for FO you are allowed 12 seconds and for FU you are allowed 10 seconds to call for the target after the previous shooter is finished shooting... but when is it safe to assume the shooter before you has finished shooting. The reason I ask is I never watch the target before me or the shooter before me but I obviously hear the report of the shots taken. So a two shot report is obvious but what about a one shot.. do we wait for the second shot or raise our gun in the assumption that the shooter is finished should I be watching the previous shooter? This may seem a bit daft I have been shooting for quite a while now and never really given it thought but the other day when I was shooting one of the guys took a shot ... missed and then what seemed an eternity later took another shot and made a hit !  I have no idea how far the target had travelled by the time he took his second shot but I could quite easily have closed my gun and started to mount my gun in the time it took for his second shot to sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so we know that for FO you are allowed 12 seconds and for FU you are allowed 10 seconds to call for the target after the previous shooter is finished shooting... but when is it safe to assume the shooter before you has finished shooting. The reason I ask is I never watch the target before me or the shooter before me but I obviously hear the report of the shots taken. So a two shot report is obvious but what about a one shot.. do we wait for the second shot or raise our gun in the assumption that the shooter is finished should I be watching the previous shooter? This may seem a bit daft I have been shooting for quite a while now and never really given it thought but the other day when I was shooting one of the guys took a shot ... missed and then what seemed an eternity later took another shot and made a hit !  I have no idea how far the target had travelled by the time he took his second shot but I could quite easily have closed my gun and started to mount my gun in the time it took for his second shot to sound.
Not a trap shooter but do shoot trap.  Don't you see in your peripheral vision when he breaks his gun?

I think not paying too much attention to the shooter before you is commendable but you have to take some responsibility in knowing what's going on  :)  so as Sian says at the very least peripheral awareness or at least make a habit of actually watching the shooter before you shoot. 

nobody watches the previous shooter in trap, peripheral vision is out of the equation also if one is wearing side blinkers.

I understand what your saying john and it does happen how you describe, but rarely is there a problem. I think clock starts from when shooter breaks gun but could be wrong

Makes sense Ian. I normally assume that if I hear the shooter before take his first shot and then there is a lag he hit the target and is finished but in the case I mention I would have been wrong :)  . If you think about it to the absolute weirdly silly as long as the target is in the air then previous shooter has the right to shoot it ? As Ian says side blinders are worn to make sure nothing takes your eye as it were so I never see the previous shooter move. This is not something I would say is common but it would be interesting to know what the definition is for when the ten seconds actually starts.

I'm aware even if not looking at them which I generally don't, I look at the floor but I am aware.  I don't wear blinkers though.

Had exactly this situation myself down at Brook Bank recently. Previous shooter to me took ages to let off his second shot and I was invariably lifting/closing my gun as the second shot went off. Doh!

In the end I started looking/checking below my left blinder to see his barrels touch the floor before I started my routine but it caught me out many times prior to that.

In my experience, even at major championships abroad, nobody ever really enforces the 10 second rule unless someone is really taking the piss with ever shot.

DT

In my experience, even at major championships abroad, nobody ever really enforces the 10 second rule unless someone is really taking the piss with ever shot.
To be fair Greg my setup to shot time is long I normally take about 8 seconds to get off my first barrel, most of the time taken setting my eyes  :wacko:

Two factors come into play here. The microphones close for four seconds to permit firing plus the hooter; the previous shooter may have a no-target even though he fires and not all referees give an audible warning. Watch the previous target down to the ground then commence your routine. Even Ian Peel I notice glances up at the previous target. If you go to your focal point during the previous shooter you will see what happened to the target without looking at it.

I start my routine as the guy before me takes their first shot if they take a late second shot I just do a reset. 

No ian - my routine starts with looking at 2 cartridges in my open gun & lightly gripping the stock a couple of times  :wink:

your not one of those, put cartridges in so lettering is correct way up then twiddle em a bit then stare at em sorts are ya ?

your not one of those, put cartridges in so lettering is correct way up then twiddle em a bit then stare at em sorts are ya ?
Gotta make sure the patterns the right way up :)   I am a cartridge twiddler I'm afraid. Just part of the routine these days. 

The anxiety when I don't twiddle is too much to bear!!

DT

As someone who only shoots trap two or three times a year can I ask. Why shouldn't you watch the previous shooter?
cos if he or she misses it gets in your head and you then miss. Unlike sporting were there is a delay between shooters trap is very fast by comparison so there is little time to compose. It is amazing to witness or indeed be involved in a squad all shooting brilliantly until twenty targets in for no obvious reason one misses then it goes down the line with subsequent misses by the others, why , because it got in there heads.

cos if he or she misses it gets in your head and you then miss. Unlike sporting were there is a delay between shooters trap is very fast by comparison so there is little time to compose. It is amazing to witness or indeed be involved in a squad all shooting brilliantly until twenty targets in for no obvious reason one misses then it goes down the line with subsequent misses by the others, why , because it got in there heads.
But you must hear the ref calling loss.

As someone who only shoots trap two or three times a year can I ask. Why shouldn't you watch the previous shooter?
Might sound daft but one reason I wouldn't , in fact don't , is that you may subconsciously start to do something they do. It could be anything from the way the mount their gun to the way they stand to the time they take to shoot the target. If you have your own setup and timing routine it is important not to let yourself be side tracked... JMO though.

Latest posts

Back