Prescription Shooting Glasses

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJJ

Having just found out that i am as blind as a bat and should be hanging in a cave, some prescription glasses are a must now. So anyone please give your opinions on any you have and why you have them,  i.e. - Fit, lens selection, price etc. OR any to avoid!!!

Thanks.

PIlla have lovely colours at interesting prices. My main pair is a cheap Specsavers one! They do a few colours and I use their darker yellow. I also went for anti glare and light lenses, but all for £100. Obviously they know nothing about shooting, but just get your distance prescription and big lenses with adjustable nose rest that you should set so they sit higher on your face than normal.

I've just got a couple of pairs of Ziess glasses from JH Stewards (at Bisley).  The purple lense is lovely.  Only thing I need to sort out on them is to get the arms adjusted - I think I must have abnormally low ears!

Tony went the Ed Lyons route and is happily getting used to his new glasses.  Just ordered himself a variety in his prescription together with the "special" colour one that suits him for orange.  It is not cheap but has really improved his ability to see the clays clearly. Now he just has to work on the awful flick that has developed from about 10 years of not seeing the damn things properly but that will come.

I have the Ranger glasses which have an option for an insert for your prescription.  Had them 2 years, then had to get another prescription, you can either get the blank sent over for your own optician to do or as in my case, I sent my prescription to an optician in the USA which Ranger recommended.  Cost about £100 which is for bi-focal (inc postage etc) then just insert them in.  Much cheaper than having to buy a whole new set every year or so and I have 6 or 7 different colour lenses.  They also do polarised lenses which I can probably use for fishing too but haven't tried them yet!  

I've just got a couple of pairs of Ziess glasses from JH Stewards (at Bisley).  The purple lense is lovely.  Only thing I need to sort out on them is to get the arms adjusted - I think I must have abnormally low ears!
Have you got them on the right way up  ???

The arms? Are they low on your face? Adjust the nose piece, squeeze it in. 

The arms? Are they low on your face? Adjust the nose piece, squeeze it in. 
No, not too low on my face.  The bottom tilts out from my cheeks further than I'd like because the arms stick out straight from the top, rather than sloping down at a slight angle.  No big problem, but I'll pop to the local opticians and see if they can adjust them for me (bit of heat in the right place and bending them should sort it).

I've got a pair of Zeiss. They were my first pair of prescription but could not get on with them at all. Felt disoriented. Other makes also caused same problem. Ok with one eye at a time, but woozy with both. Ed Lyons made me some, same problem, then he found me a very flat lenses Oakley pair that were 95% good. I now have a modern Pilla pair, 97% good, which I bought for the tint on dull days.  Only Specsavers are 100% optically perfect for me! Weird. I suspect this may be because the lenses are less curved than any Pilla, which my brain seems to get upset by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will,

How much have you actually spent on different glasses , lenses , and eye tests , prescriptions etc.?

I hear stories of  people spending £1000 + , but " not using the glasses just yet whilst I get accustomed to them."

I think for some people it seems more of a fashion statement rather than necessity ?

B&Q do some good safety glasses , and you get a free strimmer with them.

PIlla have lovely colours at interesting prices. My main pair is a cheap Specsavers one! They do a few colours and I use their darker yellow. I also went for anti glare and light lenses, but all for £100. Obviously they know nothing about shooting, but just get your distance prescription and big lenses with adjustable nose rest that you should set so they sit higher on your face than normal.
Ended up in 'Boots', Large pair of aviation style frames, Grey polarised tint (which i use for 90% of the time, even winter), and shatterproof material. I can at least wear them for normal use, so the price doesn't seem as bad. Oh and a cheap pair for reading. I will need to sort a dark yellow/persimmon pair out at a later date - just in case!!!!!

Would you like sell me them Will ? I'm looking for a spare set. 
Obviously they are prescription so lenses will be junk for you, but frames are perfect, an hours use! Pm me on here on on Facebook messenger. No idea what they're worth at the moment, buy yes, no good to me..

Latest posts

Back