fixed choke trap gun

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

probably been done before but humour me..

if one was to shoot a 30" trap gun 3/4 - full at sporting what cartridges would be best and is it even do-able. Same question re-pheasant & partridge

ps

will fibre pattern differently to plastic ?

It would work but for 95% of people it would be a handicap, any shell you happen to like would work as long as it's legal, fibre may or may not pattern tighter than some plastic wads, they tend to kick and cost more though. 

um, but would it be a handicap for a trap shooter who is used to trap guns and tight chokes though ? Is said trap shooter more handicapped by trying to shoot guns that feel alien to him ??

The same ones you use for trap.If someone handed you a gun and said - try this. Do you go - what chokes has it got and what cartridges should i use? No you just shoot the bloody thing and say thanks. Ips i've been using trap guns for everything for, well since 1990 ish. I do have a sporter, but its set up the same as my other ones.

Strangely enough someone else asked this very question on another web site. He claimed to be able to hit everything with his Beretta fixed choke trap gun, but struggled to hit the proverbial 'Cows Bum with a Banjo' with the remainder of his gun collection.  What I suggested to HIM, as most of his shooting will be within 35 yards, he used an Italian 7.5 shot fibre wad 28 gram cartridge and learn how to 'take em in front'. Perhaps the same MAY apply to your good self  ?   :rolleyes:  

1/2 and 1/2 knocks 20 off my sporting scores so 3/4 and full would probably take off  another 10.
um, interesting.

the option is.....i don't even want to say it......have the DT10eell opened or multi....gulp.

no way am I selling it but I don't forsee shooting trap again. I am game and a bit of esp from now on. Gonna do some esp with it tomorrow out of interest.

um, interesting.

the option is.....i don't even want to say it......have the DT10eell opened or multi....gulp.

no way am I selling it but I don't forsee shooting trap again. I am game and a bit of esp from now on. Gonna do some esp with it tomorrow out of interest.
Teague thin wall the way to go  ?

OR     the same in Briley  ?

Last edited by a moderator:
um, interesting.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

You will .... I repeat WILL immediately regret it. 

If your desperate to ruin it get it multichoked.  Might have convincnced yourself otherwise now but  you will..  absoluely will shoot trap again.

Sell the 687 and buy something that fits or can be easily fitted with 30" barrels with  more open factory chokes.

PS something from one of the makes that do really refined lightish game guns. I mean  B guns only got here to start with as they were put on the Boat to keep it  upright.  :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
um, interesting.

Just hacksaw an inch off the front. Should be perfect.

To be honest I cannot think what the size of choke would have to do with whether or not YOU hit the target... if YOU are accurate with YOUR shot placement the target will break... it is actually that simple! Choke size is for those who cannot shoot their gun accurately... FACT !

To be honest I cannot think what the size of choke would have to do with whether or not YOU hit the target... if YOU are accurate with YOUR shot placement the target will break... it is actually that simple! Choke size is for those who cannot shoot their gun accurately... FACT !
Very true. But that's 80% of all shooters.

Very true. But that's 80% of all shooters.
I have no doubt of that whatsoever :)  

I am just applying common sense but to me at least to use choke size as an excuse as to why you did not break the target is nonsensical.

Ian leave the eell alone as it is a lovely gun or youll regret it :no:   move the 687 on and possibly look for  another 30" DT10 possibly multi choke if that's your train of thought 

I never use choke size as an excuse to not hitting a clay, its totally lack of talent, but using open ones helps me hit them.
Of course you can make a case for using open chokes as an aid to as it were spreading your bet... but if you think about it the other way you can make a case for a tighter choke making your chance of getting the target break better. In this case though Ian is asking about using his 3/4 and full trap gun to shoot sporting targets... I honestly cannot see why he should not be successful using this gun... if he shoots reasonably accurately there is not a huge difference in the distribution of shot. In the end it is down to confidence and how well you can shoot. I am certain that he can make good scores shooting that gun... don't let me down Ian and don't go wasting a really nice gun.

Back