Wet weather gun...?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmicblue

Given the recent weather down south the wet stuff (rain) seems a distant memory however....the longest day has come and gone so it's the downhill slope to winter again!

I'm probably not alone here in that when it rains taking one's pride and joy out in the p1$$ing rain s not exactly a experience tinged with pure pleasure.    Sure I'll take the gun back and diligently clean, dry and oil before it goes back in the cabinet and all will be well, but better still let it stay in the dry in the 1st place.

I've pondered the thought before of having a 'wet weather gun', something that doesn't have a wooden stock to worry about....  I've done the semi-auto thing already and got that out of my system, there was the now defunct Browning Cynergy Black Ice with synthetic stock, are there any other OUs that had synthetic stocks that I could consider?

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the recent weather down south the wet stuff (rain) seems a distant memory however....the longest day has come and gone so it's the downhill slope to winter again!

I'm probably not alone here in that when it rains taking one's pride and joy out in the p1$$ing rain s not exactly a experience tinged with pure pleasure.    Sure I'll take the gun back and diligently clean, dry and oil before it goes back in the cabinet and all will be well, but better still let it stay in the dry in the 1st place.

I've pondered the thought before of having a 'wet weather gun', something that doesn't have a wooden stock to worry about....  I've done the semi-auto thing already and got that out of my system, there was the now defunct Browning Cynergy Black Ice with synthetic stock, are there any other OUs that had synthetic stocks that I could consider?
exactly why I got the outlander

I have an old  Miroku MK38 for those days where it's really bad. It only set me back £700. It has a wood stock but has matured and is decently oiled. The wet hasn't affected it. (Not that i'd be too bothered anyway.)

I used to have a "wet" gun but when you end up shooting it more than the "dry" gun during the winter it kind of ruins your muscle memory. Now I just have the one gun (apart from all the test guns of course) that comes out whatever the weather. Although if it's really bucketing down it stays in the slip as much as possible between stands. 

One gun for me. Can't blame the tools on a bad day if you're not chopping and changing.

I sometimes play "eeny meeny minee mo" ?

Thanks for all the replies so far, I just have the one gun now.  Done the semi-auto thing, worked well enough, just all the clanking of the spent carts getting ejected detracted from the whole experience.    The current HPX is different to shoot than a conventional shotgun (more target visibility than normal) so buying anything else will result in some adjustment....ahhh but a perfect excuse for under performance.. :cry:

I think you can still get the cynergy new but it may take some tracking down, there are plenty around second hand. I think the cynergy is a good gun which can be found at good prices second hand.

just coat your stock and forend with a thick exterior varnish and never worry again.

a simple coating of wax will solve all of those problems.  Wood and metal alike.  It only happens to be a traditional Limey treatment for bespoke game guns.  I suppose the lower classes haven't been exposed to that knowledge.

Latest posts

Back