ABT - how long?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, can someone please be kind enough to inform me roughly from start to finish how long does it take for a squad to shoot 100ABT? 

15 to 20 mins depending on how quickly each shot takes to prepare for each target.   

15 to 20 mins depending on how quickly each shot takes to prepare for each target.   
If you mean a squad as in competition it would depend how many other squads there are and how many layouts they are shooting on.

I have not shot ABT but i believe the format is basically the same as DTL that took about 5 hours for 8 squads over 2 layouts.

15 to 20 mins for a full squad (6 people) to shoot 100 clays  4 lines of 25 abt targets . what are you feeding your shooters over there Speed / crack cocaine ?? 

I will tell you how long it takes to get through a 100 abt or OT comp regardless of squad numbers......all chuffing day ?

never ceases to amaze me how I takes all day for fifteen squads and all day for six squads ?

Having just returned from the UT European championships I was somewhat surprised that the published timetable allowed 22 minutes for each round, including the changeover! I thought this was very optimistic but they stuck to the timings, with the last squad of the day starting shooting within 2 to 3 minutes of the published time. 

To achieve this every shooter had to be ready to go as soon as the previous squad had finished and no latitude was given if a shooter was not present. None of this 3 shouts over three minutes. Caught a very few tardy soles out. 5 away!!

380 shooters, shooting 3 rounds over 8 layouts in 9 hours.

The problem with shooting registered with a limited number of squads is that people will inevitably take their time meandering to the layout, dick about putting their muffs, glasses on, and getting onto their peg, etc, etc. See it all the time. 

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just returned from the UT European championships I was somewhat surprised that the published timetable allowed 22 minutes for each round, including the changeover! I thought this was very optimistic but they stuck to the timings, with the last squad of the day starting shooting within 2 to 3 minutes of the published time. 

To achieve this every shooter had to be ready to go as soon as the previous squad had finished and no latitude was given if a shooter was not present. None of this 3 shouts over three minutes. Caught a very few tardy soles out. 5 away!!

380 shooters, shooting 3 rounds over 8 layouts in 9 hours.

The problem with shooting registered with a limited number of squads is that people will inevitably take their time meandering to the layout, dick about putting their muffs, glasses on, and getting onto their peg, etc, etc. See it all the time. 

DT
Yep. Thats what messed up the OT BGP at beverley last year ehere the comp was cut to 150 instead of 200. I Worked out that shooting should have finished at 5:00 pm Unfortunately people took their time and weren't ready ansd rounds were cut due to it going dark (in August ffs)

The typical thing was waiting for people to arrive at the layout. Have a discussion on who was reffing with those dodging it halfway to the car before being called back and no one knowing how to operate the box. 

Don't even get me started on the Mike wisperers who refuse to call for the target at anything  above a murmur and blame the mike when no one else has a problem.  (0icks).

At big comps though I do think that there need to be someone present from the team running the event  who is resposibe for running the layout and organising things.

At Faixdegla this year the running of the layouts was a credit to Mike and his team who had someone in charge all day.

Southern Counties was  also always run well. 

Yep. Thats what messed up the OT BGP at beverley last year ehere the comp was cut to 150 instead of 200. I Worked out that shooting should have finished at 5:00 pm Unfortunately people took their time and weren't ready ansd rounds were cut due to it going dark (in August ffs)

The typical thing was waiting for people to arrive at the layout. Have a discussion on who was reffing with those dodging it halfway to the car before being called back and no one knowing how to operate the box. 

Don't even get me started on the Mike wisperers who refuse to call for the target at anything  above a murmur and blame the mike when no one else has a problem.  (0icks).

At big comps though I do think that there need to be someone present from the team running the event  who is resposibe for running the layout and organising things.

At Faixdegla this year the running of the layouts was a credit to Mike and his team who had someone in charge all day.

Southern Counties was  also always run well. 
I am still at a loss to understanding why in trap you may be expected to to ref/score at registered/major events when the chance of this happening at sporting events where there are far more needed it never happens.

Are the trap ground owners/organisers so tight that they will not pay for staff and Trappies just accept that as fine?

I could understand at a low cost club event all friendly and that no ranking/big prizes but just not at higher levels.

Incidentally did you get a refund for the 50 targets you didn't get to shoot?

e

I am still at a loss to understanding why in trap you may be expected to to ref/score at registered/major events when the chance of this happening at sporting events where there are far more needed it never happens.

Are the trap ground owners/organisers so tight that they will not pay for staff and Trappies just accept that as fine?

I could understand at a low cost club event all friendly and that no ranking/big prizes but just not at higher levels.

exactly schmokin which is partly why I cant be assed with it anymore. You drive 600 mile round trip to spend all chuffing day to shoot four lines and expected to work for free ?

On Big comps I believe the referee should be done by the ground. The Card and Scoreboard done by competitors. 

Having competitors supporting the referee helps. I believe(well know) it stops disputes in calling hit/misses as 3 sets of eyes are watching.  And secondly stops cheating and the bullying that is the curse of sporting. 

I have only got the wrong score where a single ref is used.  

never ceases to amaze me how I takes all day for fifteen squads and all day for six squads ?
It always takes all day down here Ian. For example our club only has two fosse but on Sunday we had a 100 FU comp now because of the region adjacent having a major trophy comp on we only has 33 shooters ... started at 9.30am stopped at 12.10pm for a two hour lunch then restart and finished about 4.30pm and it was absolutely F'n screaming hot :lol:

On Big comps I believe the referee should be done by the ground. The Card and Scoreboard done by competitors. 

Having competitors supporting the referee helps. I believe(well know) it stops disputes in calling hit/misses as 3 sets of eyes are watching.  And secondly stops cheating and the bullying that is the curse of sporting. 

I have only got the wrong score where a single ref is used.  
Yes big comps should be ref's by a arbiter supplied by the organiser assisted by shooters as judges that happened at Lonato for the Euro's and there when the ref buttons a miss then it goes direct to the screen score board so the judges are just confirming a miss and the other a paper score card. Then take another FITASC comp the French GP there were no official ref's supplied by FITASC, nobody on the abacus but two scorers with cards... take about cock up on a couple of rounds I shot on the scorers were asking opinions of the shooters as to what they thought they had scored ! and it was a €160 for 200 targets

Back