FSB / Nick Penn - Shooting both eyes open.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fieldsports Britain .   yes I watched it   interesting advice  as it contradicts all ive been told over many years ,   nick penn ?   has he ever won owt ?    dave carrie  is a top shot game and clay  he  seems to cope ok .    jury out at the moment !

Just watched it. I'm struggling to stay polite about this guy. Total nonsense in my opinion. Just weird comments about the body dragging etc. And I loved the way he was holding a closed gun, pointing behind him! This old waffle that he has dreamed up might be ok on corporate targets and total newbies, which is all I saw. I deeply suspect this guy isn't a good competition shooter.. or ever was..

You don't see decent coaches offering money back guarantees just in case their advice is crap..

Of course one eye closed is a disadvantage, but it doesn't render you a shooting cripple as he suggests. And while eye dominance is a complex issue for some, to say it's irrelevant is just ignorant. 

I once had to endure a manager in a well-known gun shop trying to tell me that eye dominance wasn't important and neither was being able to see the rib. Sigh..

I just had a look on his website. Crikey he is quite near me. Weird never heard of him.. ?

His top tips are there to read. I wish I hadn't had a mouthful of tea when I read some of them especially number 4. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched it. I'm struggling to stay polite about this guy. Total nonsense in my opinion. Just weird comments about the body dragging etc. And I loved the way he was holding a closed gun, pointing behind him! This old waffle that he has dreamed up might be ok on corporate targets and total newbies, which is all I saw. I deeply suspect this guy isn't a good competition shooter.. or ever was..

You don't see decent coaches offering money back guarantees just in case their advice is crap..

Of course one eye closed is a disadvantage, but it doesn't render you a shooting cripple as he suggests. And while eye dominance is a complex issue for some, to say it's irrelevant is just ignorant. 

I once had to endure a manager in a well-known gun shop trying to tell me that eye dominance wasn't important and neither was being able to see the rib. Sigh..

I just had a look on his website. Crikey he is quite near me. Weird never heard of him.. ?

His top tips are there to read. I wish I hadn't had a mouthful of tea when I read some of them especially number 4. ??
You can imagine my reaction can't you.  I couldn't even watch the whole video.  What I did watch was the higher, slower driven I am guessing by looking at them shooting and you can use two eyes so long as you don't connect with your barrels and let them do their thing - that works for me quite successfully now - working on the other types of driven though.  I hope we never meet in person to be honest.

The bit where he tells people that eye dominance is "a myth" and if they pull the trigger when it looks right they "will never ever miss another clay". Aaaargh. I'm sure even the likes of Ed Solomons won't tell you that little promise. 

The science of neuroplasticity tells us that, in theory and with correct training, the brain can learn to overcome cross dominance and thus enable shooting with both eyes open. But in the real world, the practicalities of many months of very strict training and associated poor scores with no guarantee of ultimate success makes it a totally unrealistic proposition.

p.s. If Maddie was my daughter and an instructor was amateurish enough to allow her to shoot driven targets without eye protection I'd be taking her out of there at speed.

I've now made myself watch it to the end - he's a great ambassador for safe gun handling NOT. Love the presenter's line at the end about people giving their comments especially if they only have one eye. ?

As the late Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

This chap does make some very strong claims for himself and his methodology - I find it both surprising and disappointing that this sort of misinformation made it past the cutting room floor and was distributed.

Simply coming from the visual science aspect, I can't make a single positive comment about any of his dogma. 

It's quite irritating that these Alternative Facts have been published.

I'll tee up a fine colleague of mine to step in regarding the technique aspect.

Mr Solomons, you're up...

Step aside people.... I shall be employing his technique and I will win every single comp now as I am guaranteed never to miss a single clay again.

Nick Penn’s top five tips

1. Look at the bird, not the gun
2. Keep both eyes open
3. Ensure your stance and gun mount are correct
4. Right-shouldered shots should aim at the right edge of the target
5. For right-shouldered shots, the left arm should be doing 85% of the work

6:Remember that bulls*it baffles brains.....

Step aside people.... I shall be employing his technique and I will win every single comp now as I am guaranteed never to miss a single clay again.

Nick Penn’s top five tips

1. Look at the bird, not the gun
2. Keep both eyes open
3. Ensure your stance and gun mount are correct
4. Right-shouldered shots should aim at the right edge of the target
5. For right-shouldered shots, the left arm should be doing 85% of the work

6:Remember that bulls*it baffles brains.....
I shall expect it now you are in A

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Who is this man, no CPSA trace of him ?! Only got half way so far but the explanation about why we miss to the left or right is quite brilliant. 

Nick Penn has been doing it for years, used to work for David Olive at Apsley Shooting Ground . Always pushed the 'shoot with both eyes open ' .Had an article in practically every shooting Magazine which only goes to show the credability of journalism.

Obviously use your binocular vision to the best of your advantage, but do what suits you to break clays to the best of your ability.

As the late Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

This chap does make some very strong claims for himself and his methodology - I find it both surprising and disappointing that this sort of misinformation made it past the cutting room floor and was distributed.

Simply coming from the visual science aspect, I can't make a single positive comment about any of his dogma. 

It's quite irritating that these Alternative Facts have been published.

I'll tee up a fine colleague of mine to step in regarding the technique aspect.

Mr Solomons, you're up...
Based on the video, I certainly won't be cancelling our appointment next month Mr Lyons.

Don't see why you are all getting so het up. Why not go and have a lesson and then ask for your money back as he offers. Some things work for some people and others not. The fact is that the brain is far more capable than we give it credit for. Who knows he may be right! If you are happy shooting one eye or one eye slightly closed then this is obviously not for you. But if you are reaching the point of giving up then MAYBE it is for you.

No relationship to the programme, just my opinion...

Back