Help from 725 owners

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perazman

I have a fancy for a Gd5 725 Sporter. The plan is to buy a cheaper second hand Gd1 and put it through its paces first. before taking the plunge. The Gd1 would then be kept as a rough gun and the Gd5 for best!

My question is,are the differences between the old Gd1 and the new Gd1 purely cosmetic or do they handle differently? Will it matter which one I buy?

If there is a difference in handling I'd assume the Gd5 is based on the old model?

Hope that makes sense to someone?!

King Regards

PM.

I have no experience of the Gd.5 Sporter other than one of my shooting buddies has one. He seems very pleased with it and shoots it very well. I have the 725 Gd. 3 Black Edition Sporter and I have had 1/2" removed from the stock, it too handles very well. The only thing that I can say is, you really do have to try whichever you choose, BEFORE you buy. I handled 3 different 725's and they all felt different. I ended up buying one with an adjustable comb (which I just happen to really hate) because it felt the most well balanced and a pound lighter than it's 8lbs 3ozs. actual weight. I have the comb at it's flattest setting and have thrown the key away  !  I know this does not wholly answer your question, but the only other advice is to look second hand. Grade 5 stocks seem to be doing a lot of breaking at present  !

Thanks Westley.

I get what you're saying. I originally looked at the 525's. With Browning's love of tweaking models things get confusing. The new basic model Sporter One has better chokes,better butt pad and better balance/handling than the current Gd5 Prestige!

Hence my reason for looking at the725's. A trip to a large dealer looks in order.

PM.

I am a great believer in trying before buying (if at all possible) and I would be prepared to travel to get the right gun. I am glad that I choose this method of purchase and it comes after over 50 years of shooting experience, because I was all set to buy a new Blaser F16. After shooting a demo model, I decided that it was NOT the gun for me. Had I bought the gun, only to realise the mistake later, it could have cost me a lot of money !

Take the plunge and buy the 725 Prosport, and set it up to handle how you want it to handle, with the barrel and stock balancing weights, different triggers, 2 pads to alter the length of pull, adjustable comb. I've had mine for about 7 weeks now and think I have it set how I want it. As Westley says though, try before you buy if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a great believer in trying before buying (if at all possible) and I would be prepared to travel to get the right gun. I am glad that I choose this method of purchase and it comes after over 50 years of shooting experience, because I was all set to buy a new Blaser F16. After shooting a demo model, I decided that it was NOT the gun for me. Had I bought the gun, only to realise the mistake later, it could have cost me a lot of money !
What put you off? I love my F3. Handled an F16 the other day and wondered if I'd just wasted some money? The balance weight system should make it feel however you like?

They were worth a watch. Thanks for that. I'm going to try and get down to Doveridge as they appear to have a good selection of second hand guns that I could potentially try. The constant variation with Brownings makes choosing one a bit confusing!

PM

What put you off? I love my F3. Handled an F16 the other day and wondered if I'd just wasted some money? The balance weight system should make it feel however you like?
I wish I could answer that Will. I tried an F16, having previously shot an F3 and struggled with that. I was really taken with the F16, UNTIL I took it out on the range. I could not hit the proverbial 'Cow's Bum'  !   To this day I do not know why, I would add that my 4 shooting Pals, who were also there,  had the same problem.  A week later I tried a 725, hit everything with it, and it now resides in my cabinet. I have just had 15mm off the stock and it now handles a lot better.  I had noticed 1 or 2 premature trigger pulls (had that problem with my Perazzi too !)  so I changed the trigger from the broad to the narrow blade and that, so far, seems to have solved that problem. No, as you will probably know, you pick up certain guns and just can not get on with them. I have done the expensive gun roundabout and came back to a Miroku. I never ever shot as well with ANY other gun, until I hit on the 725 that I bought. 

Latest posts

Back