OT finals rules

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b

Probably going to look a complete tit here,but just looked at the rules and during the finals the highest bib number goes out if there is a tie at the point where someone drops out eg 25 30 35 40.

At brook bank today,bib 2 and 6 were tied at the 30or 5th place point but bib 2 was eliminated.

Is this right and can someone please explain why.

Not trying to rock the boat or anything,i just need to know whats what incase im in that position.

View attachment copyImage-11167571923930_624_237.bmp

Last edited by a moderator:
It was explained to.me that it was down to qualifying score. Obviously not.

Yes i asumed thats what they did,count back to the first 25,but any count back has already been done to get your bib number so bib 6 with the lower quali score should of gone by the way i see the rules.

Hang on.. the rules are on the finals score sheet.  

They appear to have got it wrong.. No 6 should have been eliminated.. I'd be a bit peeved if I was Brad. 

They are and ive double cheked in the issf rule book.

Now if something has been changed or amended in the rules that ive missed i would be intrested to know.

40up was there. He might be able to shed some light. 

It looks like they have gone back to the lowest score at 25 which isn't what the rules stipulate.  It's the bib number based on the qualifying rounds  that should determin who is eliminated.

Probably going to look a complete tit here,but just looked at the rules and during the finals the highest bib number goes out if there is a tie at the point where someone drops out eg 25 30 35 40.

At brook bank today,bib 2 and 6 were tied at the 30or 5th place point but bib 2 was eliminated.

Is this right and can someone please explain why.

Not trying to rock the boat or anything,i just need to know whats what incase im in that position.

View attachment 6491
More of the same OT rule garbage.  The only Olympic discipline where the final is a different sport and conducted to different rules to qualifying.  Get rid of all this crap and return to the 80's rules.   150 targets, top 24 shoot another 50, top 6 shoot another 25 total 225.  Winner and places are highest score out of 225, NO BS single barrel or otherwise. 

Seems the ISSF are not happy unless they are messing about with something! 

I believe it was a cock-up. Matt Panter raised it with the relevant parties yesterday evening. He should have been 5th but was actually placed fourth. Looking at the scores Brad would have been eliminated in fourth place had he not been eliminated at 5th place. 

bib numbers are issued based on quali scores, including count back if two or more shooters are tied at quali stage.

DT

I believe it was a cock-up. Matt Panter raised it with the relevant parties yesterday evening. He should have been 5th but was actually placed fourth. Looking at the scores Brad would have been eliminated in fourth place had he not been eliminated at 5th place. 

bib numbers are issued based on quali scores, including count back if two or more shooters are tied at quali stage.

DT
Just makes you wonder ... why make things so complex? Why not just shoot x number of targets and the man who shoots the highest score at the finish is the winner? Why have full use of the gun for the qualifying and not the latter stages? If you want to prove who is better with one barrel why not shoot the whole competition with only on barrel and not just the later stages of the competition. There is a lot of conflict in the principles ISSF are using to decide who is the best shot in their competitions and these come about because they are trying to make a show out of shooting... its not going to work. Watching shooting is like watching paint dry... even to shooters... all you can do is count the scores! Why not just use logic all shooters shoot the same targets and the one with the highest score at the end wins... IF a shoot off is required then that is just part of the game.

Doesn't seem to matter what discipline it is they want to drag out and change the end to make it more "exciting" for spectators and the media.

The thing is it doesn't but the powers that be just don't get it,it will never be a primetime TV event to attract more people into the sport and detracts from what people have already achieved in the competition.

Even most of the shooters go home as they can't be bothered to hang around for the superfinal of the final of the final!

??

Actually most people attending competetive OT events enjoy new final :p + it's simple for spectators to follow what's going on

I often hear ppl talk trash about new stuff when they don't even bother to read new rules etc.

Doesn't seem to matter what discipline it is they want to drag out and change the end to make it more "exciting" for spectators and the media.

The thing is it doesn't but the powers that be just don't get it,it will never be a primetime TV event to attract more people into the sport and detracts from what people have already achieved in the competition.

Even most of the shooters go home as they can't be bothered to hang around for the superfinal of the final of the final!
I don"t know.. Have a look at the ISSF channel on Youtube. OK it's not got the same audience as BGT or GOT but there's still quite a lot of us that do watch. In a pure competition the change to single barrel is a bit of an oddity but the finals are more watchable than just the qualifying rounds.

I watch it on the TV using an Amazon firestick. (Using a tablet or Phone is not much good) The picture quality is very good and it is presented as well as any other sporting event.  

I don"t know.. Have a look at the ISSF channel on Youtube. OK it's not got the same audience as BGT or GOT but there's still quite a lot of us that do watch. In a pure competition the change to single barrel is a bit of an oddity but the finals are more watchable than just the qualifying rounds.

I watch it on the TV using an Amazon firestick. (Using a tablet or Phone is not much good) The picture quality is very good and it is presented as well as any other sporting event.  
Yes but your already addicted ;)  to shooting.people outside the shooting community just don't get it or understand it,even when i watch it on tv i struggle to see any targets till they have been hit.

The gun goes bang and with luck we see a puff of colour hardly breathtakingingly visual.

Yes but your already addicted ;)  to shooting.people outside the shooting community just don't get it or understand it,even when i watch it on tv i struggle to see any targets till they have been hit.

The gun goes bang and with luck we see a puff of colour hardly breathtakingingly visual.
If I watch any competitive shooting it is not primarily to see if the target breaks it is to watch what really top class shooters do in their approach to set up etc and you see little of that even. I could not give a stuff if one shooter or another wins. Then their are the commentators droning on " yes he broke that hard right very well there ... he uses a X brand shotgun you know" ... just to let the viewer know because it is nearly impossible to identify the target direction and whether it was broken or not... it makes televised golf look exciting :)  

Sorry.. Have to disagree. I watched the finals of 2012 at work in the office with 30 or so people watching. It went down well.  As did the Archery which believe me gets as much (if not more) stick from the ground roots.

To get a following you need to start somewhere. 

Look at snooker.. the most boring thing on earth to watch. And rugby.. half the people watching don't know the rules.  Cricket....  Tennis...

The new finals are easy to understand. A person drops out at regular stages until there are 2 left. Highest score of these 2 wins.  Simple. 

I'm glass half full on this one.. 

Archery,rugby,snooker,golf you can see the things moving or where they end up...shooting you see nothing but the competitor and get told he hit it or if you are lucky a puff of powder.

No tension....oohs ahhs or come one ;)

Latest posts

Back