Artificial Eye

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stork

Hi all, 

First post here as I'm getting back into shooting after a couple of decades away from the sport. 

I know you are supposed to shoot with both eyes but I don't have that choice as I lost my right eye in an accident years ago. 

Given that I am shooting one-eyed...are there any tips to being as accurate as possible? 

I'm doing OK given I have only been back to shooting a month or so. I shot 68 out of 100 in English sporting last week but I would like to be hitting at least 75% of targets. 

TIA for your thoughts. 

First of all, welcome back.  I presume that you are shooting off your left shoulder then  ??  As long as your gunfit is reasonable, then it is just practice.  Are there any specific target types that you are struggling with  ?   Oh, and buy the way, we use your margarine too  !

Yep. Shooting off my left shoulder. I'm right handed but I'm comfortable shooting left handed. The targets I struggle with are crossers. I was really struggling with high driven stuff but I am getting the hang of those now. 

So is the gun a left hander too then ?  I shoot with a young man who is left handed, but when he tried various left and right handed guns, the best fitting one (his left eye looking straight down the rib) happened to be a right handed gun and he shoots very well with it.  Do you mean crossers from either direction, or just one side  ?

I bought a Beretta 690 Field III. It's left handed but the cast isn't that pronounced. I think the gun fit is pretty good. The comb may be a tad low. I'm going to have a fitting session in a few weeks. The hardest crossers for me come from the right. With no right eye vision I struggle to pick them up early. I'm working on getting my feet set up facing the kill point and them pivoting a bit further than I would for a crosser coming from the left.

I bought a Beretta 690 Field III. It's left handed but the cast isn't that pronounced. I think the gun fit is pretty good. The comb may be a tad low. I'm going to have a fitting session in a few weeks. The hardest crossers for me come from the right. With no right eye vision I struggle to pick them up early. I'm working on getting my feet set up facing the kill point and them pivoting a bit further than I would for a crosser coming from the left.
It may be worthwhile having a search of the web for gun fit and gun mounting. You can check,  to a certain degree,  at home using a mirror to determine where your eye is in relation to the rib. Although your gunfitting session, should be able to help you sort things. If you can find a skeet layout, you can just shoot R to L crossers to work out the feet and hold positions, which best suit your shooting style. You managed to work out the overhead target so the crosser is the next to work on, good luck and straight shooting.

My local shooting ground had a skeet layout. I'll sort out a session just shooting those R - L crossers. Thanks for your ideas and the encouragement. 

Back