What would you suggest I consider buying?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sian

I am considering adding a gun or two to my cabinet in the future. I shoot a Beretta Silver Pigeon 1, 12b with 28 inch barrels and multichoke.    I will not be getting rid of my own gun as I love it and will not part with it EVER and I intend to continue shooting with it.  I am not looking to purchase the "in" gun and I am even considering just purchasing the same gun again as my reason for purchase is actually to be able to pick up the same gun should the original be unavailable to use.  I was also thinking of trading my never used Huglu G12 Semi which I won and will never be able to use as it is far too big for me and purchasing a semi for rough shooting.  This would also have to have 28 inch barrels and an adjustable stock - I even considered if it were possible to have 26 inch barrels.  I am not fussy about wood.  Suggestions please, new or second hand not bothered, just interested in what you would choose for me to try.  

budget ??
Typical woman Ips - hadn't thought of a budget  :D  but I suppose I don't really want to be spending more than about £2000 as effectively the O/U is a back up gun and as cheap as possible really because I will continue to use my SP1.  Tony purchased a lovely beretta second hand for around £800 which was hardly used and just had a dig in the wood which he sorted.  He says it is actually a better gun than mine.  The Semi (I can feel you cringe) is a bit of fun and not really a necessity.  I don't even know how much my  HugluG12 is worth - not much I should think but could trade that for some other semi of similar value. Does anyone know the cost of one of those?

yes typical indeed.

semi (shudder) may as well go unless the fact that you won it holds any sentimentality (I prob would keep it if I had won it)

to be brutaly honest I don't think having a similar gun is a good idea. From experience all that happens is that you swap between the two after a bad run. Better in my opinion to have a totally different one. You mention rough shooting, is this now something that interests you ? If so why not invest in a game gun (Beretta obviously) you could still use it for sporting if you needed too. Should have a lot to choose from especially out of game season.

I went from a Silver Pigeon 28" barrel 13.5" stock to a DT10 also 28" barrel 13.5" stock, then onto a K80 Parcours 30" barrel 13.75" stock adjustable comb. Sold the Silver Pigeon when I got the Parcours, but still have the DT10 in the back of the cabinet 'just in case'.

I found the DT10 slightly better balanced that the Silver Pigeon and found it better for shooting faster targets using swing through.  I paid 2k for mine, so you should be able to get one just about within your budget.

As for a semi-auto, Sussex Guns had an old Beretta in when I was there a couple of weeks back with a 13.75" stock for £350.  I owned it for a while and it sat in the back of the cabinet unused, passed it on to a friend who did the same with it (woody on here's Dad) and they've now put it up for sale.

What stock length do you use Sian?  Presumably whatever you get you'll want an adjustable comb put in so you can set it up the same as your Silver Pigeon.  If my guns are about the right size for you and you want to have a try of both or either of them, drop me a PM and we can meet up.

yes typical indeed.

semi (shudder) may as well go unless the fact that you won it holds any sentimentality (I prob would keep it if I had won it)

to be brutaly honest I don't think having a similar gun is a good idea. From experience all that happens is that you swap between the two after a bad run. Better in my opinion to have a totally different one. You mention rough shooting, is this now something that interests you ? If so why not invest in a game gun (Beretta obviously) you could still use it for sporting if you needed too. Should have a lot to choose from especially out of game season.
I did think about keeping the Huglu for sentimental reasons but in honesty it is just taking up space and will never be used by me and Tony has his own Beretta semi.  I may go pigeon shooting but I won't be taking up game shooting - just not for me and I wouldn't use a game gun on clays in honesty.  The beauty (I know you can't see any) but the beauty of having a semi is that I could then enter the few semi comps that are held yearly so use it for both rough and clay shooting.    I am listening to what you say about having the same gun but it really is to literally be able to pick up a gun should the first one be unavailable due to something or other or if it died completely.  I am a creature of habit and the draw for me is that I have a back up that I can just turn to.  I will look at similar Berettas though.

good luck, hope you find something suitable.

ps

wise move not getting into Game as it really effects any future interest in clays ?

I went from a Silver Pigeon 28" barrel 13.5" stock to a DT10 also 28" barrel 13.5" stock, then onto a K80 Parcours 30" barrel 13.75" stock adjustable comb. Sold the Silver Pigeon when I got the Parcours, but still have the DT10 in the back of the cabinet 'just in case'.

I found the DT10 slightly better balanced that the Silver Pigeon and found it better for shooting faster targets using swing through.  I paid 2k for mine, so you should be able to get one just about within your budget.

As for a semi-auto, Sussex Guns had an old Beretta in when I was there a couple of weeks back with a 13.75" stock for £350.  I owned it for a while and it sat in the back of the cabinet unused, passed it on to a friend who did the same with it (woody on here's Dad) and they've now put it up for sale.

What stock length do you use Sian?  Presumably whatever you get you'll want an adjustable comb put in so you can set it up the same as your Silver Pigeon.  If my guns are about the right size for you and you want to have a try of both or either of them, drop me a PM and we can meet up.
Thanks Bebo that is a very kind offer.   My stock is 13.25 I believe. 

Not wildly different then.  I've also got access to a Beretta 686 Evo with a short monte carlo stock (it's my sister in laws) and a friend has a 682 Gold E with a shortened stock.

I think all of us are going to be at Willow Farm Shooting Ground near Tenterden in Kent over the weekend (certainly on Friday and Saturday mornings).  Bit of a trek for you though.

HI Sian, we will be at Southdown on Friday and Owls Lodge on Saturday, I've an MK38, 30" with adjustable stock, it's set fairly high for me, not sure of length on stock but it's been cut down a fair bit, more than welcome to have a go of mine too.  Can honestly say I've never had a problem/breakdown etc, it is fairly heavy so soaks up recoil and I have an XPad on it. I also have a semi which only comes out a few times a year for the auto comps, which I thoroughly enjoy, 3 targets in the air at once, such fun!!!  I too am a creature of habit so stick to the one gun as I think I would get terribly confused (it's an age thing) if one gun shot slightly different to my main one and I saw a differently lead etc, too much to think about.  

Not wildly different then.  I've also got access to a Beretta 686 Evo with a short monte carlo stock (it's my sister in laws) and a friend has a 682 Gold E with a shortened stock.

I think all of us are going to be at Willow Farm Shooting Ground near Tenterden in Kent over the weekend (certainly on Friday and Saturday mornings).  Bit of a trek for you though.
Thank you so much Bebo, very kind to offer and maybe at some point in the future I might take you up on having a go but Friday is Fitasc at Windrush and Saturday is Owls for me.  

HI Sian, we will be at Southdown on Friday and Owls Lodge on Saturday, I've an MK38, 30" with adjustable stock, it's set fairly high for me, not sure of length on stock but it's been cut down a fair bit, more than welcome to have a go of mine too.  Can honestly say I've never had a problem/breakdown etc, it is fairly heavy so soaks up recoil and I have an XPad on it. I also have a semi which only comes out a few times a year for the auto comps, which I thoroughly enjoy, 3 targets in the air at once, such fun!!!  I too am a creature of habit so stick to the one gun as I think I would get terribly confused (it's an age thing) if one gun shot slightly different to my main one and I saw a differently lead etc, too much to think about.  
Thank you Donna.  I am at Owls on Saturday - not sure of timing but if we are there at the same time I will definitely like to have a go if I may.  Yes I thought the semi comps would be fun.  

Sounds like a shootclay ladies practice day at Southdown sometime might be a plan?  Gun swopping could become the new trend.

That will be great, we should definately arrange something. I am limited to when I can shoot though but would definately be up for a ladies only group! 

I'm generally good for Saturdays.  We'd just need to find one when Sian isn't already shooting a competition!

I'm generally good for Saturdays.  We'd just need to find one when Sian isn't already shooting a competition!
That is my problem I can't stop.  Might be better sometime in the Autumn as competition season is then more or less just Sundays and the occasional weekday during the month.  Would be nice though.

You'll never drag Sian away from competitions on a Sunday.  If Southdown are open on Mondays, I'm up for taking a day off sometime.

Latest posts

Back