Lloyd Pattison

Gun reviews on youtube

Lloyd Pattison
On 2017-5-5 at 8:28 AM, ips said:

agree with cockney, gun reviews in fact any review is subjective.

I asked in earlier thread (out of interest no specific reason) what Lloyds shooting background is. It would hold more credence if we knew.

Hi guys, to respond to this I started shooting clays when I was 14, stopped when I was 18 as I moved over to Police / Service / Practical pistol, I was a qualified RCO and Armourer back then. In 1997 that stopped and I took a break from shooting sports. In 2008 I started Target and Field archery and at my peak in 2014 I was seeded 29th in the UK. A combination of work and injury forced a retirement from archery however I still coach and have coached archers up to World Championship status (well, one archer).

I started clay shooting again in 2011 as a way to decompress from Archery although I have only really seriously been back into it for the last 2 years after I quit archery. 

The guns I shoot are supplied by a local gun room with whom I am friendly, and the main point that everyone I spoke to before starting the channel raised was that I be honest. I am not shilling guns for anyone so if I think its a dog I will say so. My opinion is no more valid than anyone elses, I just enjoy being creative and wanted to make something I thought people would enjoy, and in the main it seems people are. I don't spend a lot of time on talking about the finer points of stock dimension or design because to most C class shooters that stuff means very little, so my reviews / impressions are subjective, and as such, your mileage may vary. I have been asked, and will be doing some other stuff in the series about getting into the sport, applying for your licence etc also so hopefully it will be a useful resource.

Sorry for the delay in responding I do this in my spare time with my own money, I pay for all the ammo and clays in the reviews, all I get is access to the guns. As mentioned the next in the series is up, and I already have the next review (an Auto this time) in the can ready to publish in a fortnights time.

• Like 4

ips

thank you Lloyd, a good post ?

makes perfect sense now, good luck with your venture.

Ian

• Like 1

Nicko

Well I enjoy your videos :smile: I can't wait to see the semi review. Which model is it? 

Hamster

Lloyd, when reviewing one gun against another it's fairly imperative that you have the other one to hand as well, otherwise you're assuming your audience knows what a SuperSport is. I agree with you that the Parcour is the prettier of the two but in my mind seeing that you were quick to see the flaws in the Beretta you reviewed earlier, on this particular gun I am rather surprised that you didn't mention the plainness of the wood against the price tag ! The Parcour costs 5 times as much as most run of the mill guns some of which have more impressive timber, I really believe things like that deserve mention. You may recall me saying before that you need to weight up the strong and weak points of one gun against another within the same segment, that's what gives impetus to a review, it's what motor writers do. 

Also worthy of debate is the rationale of replacing all the insides every two years, why would they do that and is it necessary since other comparable makes don't and indeed Krieghoffs which don't get serviced that regularly seem able to function well enough. 

What would have been really interesting to the layman would have been seeing the guns shot side by side on certain types of common clay presentations, perhaps with one or two really good shots and hear the conclusions. Hopefully you'll take these as constructive criticism. :)

• Like 1

Lloyd Pattison
1 hour ago, Nicko said:

Well I enjoy your videos :smile: I can't wait to see the semi review. Which model is it? 

Benelli Rafaello Supersport.

Lloyd Pattison

@Hamster I am not sure if you have watched the entire video but I do in fact pull out the SS about 2/3rds of the way in. I did have a segment comparing the 2 guns on the bench but I cut it as it was too long.

I would argue that one does not buy a Krieghoff for the timber, and since most owners seem to swap wood like the rest of us change socks I didn't mention that.

As to the rest of your points in this post and others, I am one guy doing this off my own back in my spare time and I am doing as much as I can. If I had time to rope other people in and do interviews that would be great but I just don't. I am not a professional broadcaster, nor have I had any training in journalism, I work in IT.

Youtube is a platform for amateurs and whilst the bar is pretty high these days for user created content I can only do my best and as I say, in the main folk seem to be enjoying it. 

Looking back through this thread it seems pretty clear my videos are not for you, just wondering: Why you are still watching? 

• Like 3

sibaldib

Keep up the good work Lloyd. Uk reviews are hard enough to find and your view, however subjective, is welcomed.

Edited by sibaldib
  • Like 2

Hamster
54 minutes ago, Lloyd Pattison said:

@Hamster I am not sure if you have watched the entire video but I do in fact pull out the SS about 2/3rds of the way in. I did have a segment comparing the 2 guns on the bench but I cut it as it was too long.

I would argue that one does not buy a Krieghoff for the timber, and since most owners seem to swap wood like the rest of us change socks I didn't mention that.

As to the rest of your points in this post and others, I am one guy doing this off my own back in my spare time and I am doing as much as I can. If I had time to rope other people in and do interviews that would be great but I just don't. I am not a professional broadcaster, nor have I had any training in journalism, I work in IT.

Youtube is a platform for amateurs and whilst the bar is pretty high these days for user created content I can only do my best and as I say, in the main folk seem to be enjoying it. 

Looking back through this thread it seems pretty clear my videos are not for you, just wondering: Why you are still watching? 

Apologies, having re-watched it you do indeed shoulder the SS for a few seconds but  still maintain that if you say at the outset that you are comparing the two then the two need to be shown side by side in more detail with particular focus on the parts that differ. I also find it odd that you think people don't buy £12k worth of gun for the wood ! They most definitely do when spending that kind of money. This is a public membership forum where you have chosen to display your videos, Youtube too is a public forum where people post both negative as well as positive feedback, being able to absorb the good and the bad is the minimum requirement I'm afraid, I am very much like you in fact :) when you say you speak as you find, merely suggesting that your relative inexperience compared to other such videos I have watched comes across. I will make a point of not watching anymore though but hopefully we can remain forum friends. 

• Like 2

Lloyd Pattison

@Hamster Not saying don't give me negative feedback, I have certainly had plenty, and been told I am an idiot who knows nothing etc. I am happy to take the rough with the smooth, after all your opinion is as valid as mine. I just wondered why you would keep watching if you didn't like the content? I avoid this things I dislike, for instance I don't like cats, and as a result I don't own one. It wouldn't occur to me to get a cat then keep telling it that it isn't a dog. :) 

Oh, and the reason behind the comment about the wood: I own one, the wood isn't the prettiest and the engraving is ho-hum, but I bought it because of the balance, the handling, the quality of the action and the trigger. Sure, nice wood is nice, but it wasn't why *I* bought one. 

Edited by Lloyd Pattison

Hamster
56 minutes ago, Lloyd Pattison said:

@Hamster Not saying don't give me negative feedback, I have certainly had plenty, and been told I am an idiot who knows nothing etc. I am happy to take the rough with the smooth, after all your opinion is as valid as mine. I just wondered why you would keep watching if you didn't like the content? I avoid this things I dislike, for instance I don't like cats, and as a result I don't own one. It wouldn't occur to me to get a cat then keep telling it that it isn't a dog. :) 

Oh, and the reason behind the comment about the wood: I own one, the wood isn't the prettiest and the engraving is ho-hum, but I bought it because of the balance, the handling, the quality of the action and the trigger. Sure, nice wood is nice, but it wasn't why *I* bought one. 

I watched it because it was on ShootClay, I read through a fair bit of what's here and elsewhere even if it doesn't completely and absolutely interest me, sometimes I do so in order to learn more stuff, hell I sometimes read stuff because I don't like them.

I don't like the BS and lies on the news but I watch it every single night, love cats and dogs by the way. I'm on FaceBook too a fair bit and if I didn't read through the crap I detest and resent :(:ph34r: I would be unable to formulate arguments against them, talking in a room full of the converted is just an echo chamber in other words. So sorry but respectfully yet fundamentally disagree with your reasoning. 

Whatever I try and say would come across as negative but that's essentially because you're up against a fairly well informed audience and the bar you so rightly mentioned is set very high. To give you a tiny example, when you opened the choke case and announced they're Teague I believe, you then quickly realised they were in fact Briley's and said so, two things spring to mind, first that you ought to have made sure you knew already, two an experienced person would have known by looking at the choke key alone, these aren't criticisms of you they are just things that some people at any rate pick up on. Good luck and hope it all gets better and better. 

Lloyd Pattison

Hey fair comment man, can't argue with your principles. I'm not buying a cat though.

• Like 1

Nicko
4 hours ago, Lloyd Pattison said:

Benelli Rafaello Supersport.

Any chance you can get your hands on a Beretta a400 action ?

Lloyd Pattison
29 minutes ago, Nicko said:

Any chance you can get your hands on a Beretta a400 action ?

I'm sure I'll get my hands on one at some point, I used to own an a400 Excel. 

Damo

Go on, get a cat. Underrated in my opinion.:cat:

PS like the videos.

Edited by Damo
Spelling
  • Like 1

Lloyd Pattison

It's Friday, so it must be time for another review:

• Like 3

Nicko

Really enjoyed watching again this week.  I would love to see you compare the Benelli against a Beretta a400.  I fancy a new semi for pigeon shooting and had almost decided on an A400 but this video might have just made me change my mind.

• Like 1

sibaldib

Great review Lloyd.

I have one and would echo all of your views. I had one a couple of years ago and shot well with it. I then, stupidly sold it. Having been through 3 different s/autos since then and not feeling comfortable with any I returned to the fold and am delighted with the gun. I have the additional Briley weights on the forend which helps the gun being less whippy than standard.

• Like 1

Lloyd Pattison

Friday, time for a new review. 

Perazzi this week:

• Like 2

Paul120

I have a reputation of being a bit of a serial gun changer.  Over the last 10 years I've had several mirokus,Brownings, 3x 682s, 2 x DT10s and some from other minor makers.I guess in the vein attempt to find Excalaber.  

The one gun I have had for all that time and can't part with is the MX8 and would echo the commets made by Lloyd. 

As He say's though they are bespoke. Most people that try one and see their scores drop forget that the fit may be not right for them and be dissapointed. Get the fit right and it's a different story. 

Another factor are the triggers  pulls. The best.  

• Like 1

Lloyd Pattison

This week, a budget pair:

MJJ
7 hours ago, Lloyd Pattison said:

This week, a budget pair:

Toooooo many erms/ums again Lloyd, only watched half again. The others have been ok - up till now :) 

ips

I only watched the first one, haven't bothered since which is no reflection on Lloyd its just that other peoples opinion on different guns does not interest me as I have shot enough in my time to be able to make my own opinion, however I think Lloyd is receiving some harsh critique, he is not a professional broadcaster and never pretended otherwise so nobody should expect a polished performance in fact maybe that style of "amateur" (no disrespect meant Lloyd) approach is endearing to newcomers to the sport, maybe that style holds more credibility than the obviously paid to say its good type reviewers.

just saying... ?

• Like 2

Lloyd Pattison

Thanks IPS, no disrespect taken. I am afraid thats just how I talk, I try to suppress it but I dont use a script and sometimes it comes out.

ips

lloyd

most people I would think find the natural delivery more believable. You carry on doing what your doing my friend. ?

• Like 1

Finners

I commented before that I didn't see much point in these videos. However I watched the old 686 v ATA and found that quite interesting, I would say that many newbies would too. As IPS said, the delivery makes it more believable, as often it seems that the "professionals" seem to never say anything negative. 

Also, it's clear that the presentation is getting better. 

• Like 1