Lloyd Pattison

Gun reviews on youtube

Lloyd Pattison

Doctor Lecter
3 hours ago, Lloyd Pattison said:

that last pair      pro piston shells  ? 

Lloyd Pattison

I had a mix in the bottom of my shell pouch after shooting the box so will likely have mixed in some superfast as I wasnt looking.

• Like 1

El Spavo

Can't work out how a cartridge can be more effective at a short distance like the 25m Pro Piston claims. Can understand the difference choking makes, but not cartridge choice, especially if they're pretty rapid (something you'd expect to give a gain at long distance). Little help?!

El Spavo

Okay thanks, just trying to work out logically how that happens when you've got x amount of inches of barrel the shot is forced down and inline way before it exits, if that makes sense? Only thing I can think of is if the wad is sort of conical so that it somehow pushes the point down the centre of the barrel and then forces the shot outwards from the centre when the wad exits.

I dunno, just speculating cos I can't see the mechanics.

Thanks for the 525 review... nice to see something on an entry level gun (especially the one I chose to buy... makes me feel good about my choice!) as opposed to websites who are like Top Gear and just review the Bugatti's of the world. :)

• Like 2

DavidJ
2 hours ago, Lloyd Pattison said:

I havent patterned them but the wad is designed to spread the shot once it exits the muzzle.

I cant find any comparative pattern tests online however the following article has a round up of carts for skeet:

https://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/features/the-best-cartridges-for-skeet-1-4657263

That review says the Pro Piston is available in plastic and fibre wads!  I wonder how a fibre Pro Piston works or is the review incorrect? 

I also wonder if the claim of 630 pellets in a 30cm circle is based on shooting skeet chokes? At £260 a thou, I'll be sticking with my budget fibers... My misses aren't due the cartridge...

Will Hewland

I patterned them. Very disappointing. Only slightly larger spread than other shells for a lot more money. Good marketing, that's all IMO.

Westward
2 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

I patterned them. Very disappointing. Only slightly larger spread than other shells for a lot more money. Good marketing, that's all IMO.

That mirrors what I was told by Steve Nutbeam who's also patterned them. They seem to work exactly like a fibre wad shell so yes... Good marketing indeed!

• Like 1

Will Hewland

If I were developing a wide pattern cartridge, I would try a cone shaped end to the wad, to drive the pattern outward. Might leave it sparse in the middle though. 😆. But various shapes might make a difference. 

El Spavo
3 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

If I were developing a wide pattern cartridge, I would try a cone shaped end to the wad, to drive the pattern outward.

Soooo... what I said then?? :angel: :whistle::mosking:

Will Hewland
22 minutes ago, El Spavo said:

Soooo... what I said then?? :angel: :whistle::mosking:

Oh yes, snap! Sorry didn’t read the thread..

El Spavo

Nice to think my logic isn't just in MY bonkers head! :) 

• Haha 1

Martinj

Nice idea but the pattern would look like a doughnut :smile: 

If it worked someone would have done it by now wouldn't they? . . . what's the number of my Patents Attorney?

• Haha 1

Westward

The Americans can buy spreader shells for close targets as an alternative to twiddling with chokes. I don't know how they work but I recall hearing years ago that they're not legal in this country.

FreeShot
19 hours ago, Will Hewland said:

While disappointing in my Miroku through 3/8 Teague at 20m:

1327275966_ProPiston38a20.thumb.jpg.74ced950f9c92373774bfe1a644f2cbc.jpg

I find them very useful in my 725 ProTrap - through factory DS 3/4 chokes at the same distance (20m):

1243404952_ProPistonIM20.thumb.jpg.e879b4300c7ef3cb9164ac6dd328d2df.jpg

El Spavo
5 hours ago, Martinj said:

Nice idea but the pattern would look like a doughnut :smile: 

If it worked someone would have done it by now wouldn't they? . . . what's the number of my Patents Attorney?

Same as mine... back of the queue, sunshine! :D

• Like 1

Lloyd Pattison

alhths
On 3/16/2017 at 12:02 PM, cockney21 said:

Just to be different it might be worth doing comparisons between two guns at the same time. For example why is one gun £1K and another £2.5K, buying new compared to used, difference between Browning and CG. This might appeal to new shooters who just get the same old drivel from dealers trying to pedal their best earners. Also try and offer some advice as to the advantages or otherwise of different features...

Also you could do a little series for people trying to enter the sport. Starting with getting a licence, buying a first gun, what cartridges to buy, going to a new shooting ground and entering competitions. This would allow you to do some "out and about features" and be really useful. I wish I had a walk through of what happens at a CPSA completion and the formality of shooting in a squad before I went to my first event, nothing worse than feeling like the new kid at a school on the first day. 

It would be refreshing to hear honest reviews rather than from a personal stance, very hard to do I know. I would try and leave out personal preferences as they are just that.

Well done for having a go though and I hope it goes well. How about getting some "Guest shooters" on for their opinions on their guns and kit, even if it is only one of your mates who is willing to join in, will add a different twist and I think make a video flow better.

Totally agree. As a newbie all the above is like gold dust. 

Lloyd Pattison

• Like 1

Lloyd Pattison
On 8/2/2019 at 10:20 PM, alhths said:

Totally agree. As a newbie all the above is like gold dust. 

I definitely am going to start doing some round up episodes. watch this space.