What Jacket & Active Ear Protection? (reasonably priced!)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tunnie

Newbie here, gone shooting 3 times, on my last shoot I did more that at any time before. 

I did 2x 50 bird shoots yesterday, my shoulder is a bit sore this morning. Combination of it being new to me and also not always fully seating gun right I think, but I just a jumper and waterproof on, I need to consider a jacket. 

Do they often come with shoulder padding? 

Can someone recommend a reasonably priced one? 

Also I used the foam ear plugs, I'm looking to get a set of these active over-ear ones which filter out shots, but normal voices can be heard. I don't want to spend mega bucks as I'm just starting out.

Thanks in advance 

Ok, don't dress thickly to stop your shoulder getting sore. That is caused by the usual poor beginners gun mount (I remember it well). I could shoot hundreds of cartridges wearing only a shirt now and not know I've done it. The cure for this problem is another subject, but don't go with padded clothing. A good recoil pad on the gun is great though.  You need to feel and place the gun in your shoulder pocket properly and you can't do it wearing padding. For now, use 24g or even 21g cartridges while you get sorted, they work well and don't kick as much. 

Very few coats work well to shoot in. Certainly not cheap ones. Nothing thick or rigid is helpful. It's better to go with a good shirt and good fleece, ensuring the collar doesn't get in the way of the gun. You can always wear a big warm clumsy coat while waiting to shoot, then remove it at each stand. Many do this.

Again, beware the wrong headphones as they can hit the gun stock and piss you right off. MSA Sordin are very good. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much! Will do a bit more research on gun position, to be honest after the first 50 I was fine. But towards end of second 50 I started to feel it. 

Any thoughts on active ear protection? 

Thanks very much! Will do a bit more research on gun position, to be honest after the first 50 I was fine. But towards end of second 50 I started to feel it. 

Any thoughts on active ear protection? 
I've had active moulded inserts but prefer ear defenders (good ones). Keeps your ears warm in winter too! Personal choice. Google CENS for inserts but there are many suppliers. You don't need the electronic ones unless you really want to and are happy to pay. They do ones with a little filter that allows decent hearing for a fraction of the cost of electronic. 

Again, I totally agree with Will. I use a lined jumper and a light skeet vest all through the winter. Just add a t shirt under my normal shirt if it get chilly. 

As for the MSA's - they are not cheap but will last forever and cheap ones will just get on your nerves. 

I do have a fantastic Sasta coat that I have used for 10 years now! But it's soft like a fleece and really warm. I think they are £350 now..

Yes a decent fleece is a good option, except for the price as the OP was not looking to spend too much. But I used to sometimes wear a fleece under my skeet vest but I left it at the pub and it's never been seen again. 

In August of last year I bought a lightweight, fold into itself, type waterproof, windproof,  extremely light jacket made by Rohan (climbing/walking clothing), it is called the Windshadow jacket. It cost £58 in their sale. It has proved to be one of the best shooting jackets that I have ever used. It folds up to a 6" x  6" pack, which can either clip to your belt or as I do, stick it in my range bag. I have a Musto Gore-Tex jacket, which is great as long as it is cool, BUT a walk around most sporting shoots in the current climates and you end up like a 'Boil in the Bag Chicken' !  As Will has already said, keep the layers thin. I use a warm long sleeved base layer, followed by a mid weight zip neck fleece and then my skeet vest, either the cotton or the mesh variety. If it gets wet or windy, the Rohan jacket and the mesh vest over the top. The jacket has a fold away hood which I have used whilst waiting to shoot. The Rohan waterproof trousers (NOT overtrousers) are brilliant and their winter lined trousers are great, IF it is dry. I can not rate their stuff highly enough, not exactly cheap, BUT a great Company to deal with, you can order goods to your local Rohan shop where you can try them on and either accept or decline, without a problem. I did have a small issue with a zip on a pair of trousers, they were replaced inside 2 days, no quibble. Certainly worth a look. I have spent years of 'making do' ex military gear and the like, BUT you can NOT beat being comfortable, to shoot well ! 

Bought two wind proof fleeces from John Norris,green with brown shoulders but not padded. They certainly block the wind out,are warm and comfortable to shoot in. £35 each. Look smart too,even on me.

We use moulded plugs with a passive filter , these are all you really need. Do you really want to hear some Pratt behind you while you are shooting as you will with the electronic ones?. Contact plugzz , they have a good range and are reasonably priced. They also do the cens  electronic ones but be prepared to part with some serious cash.

Jasper.

another vote for MSA Sordins with gel cups. Really comfortable, don't get in the way of the stock and excellent sound. Tried Peltor Sportac but MSA feel so much better.

In his world, yes he's quite normal. Well that's what he told me. 
I was going to buy the wife a Berretta for Christmas ..............................she said why do you not like me :lol:

Stick with foam earplugs, I've been shooting 21 years and never wasted my money on overpriced ears protection, buy a box off eBay with 200 pairs for £7 and they'll last forever! 

when I started in April 86 I was introduced to an old retired farmer who became both my mentor and a close friend (even attended my wedding ceremony to the first Mrs nutcase) he used to spit on a bit of cotton wool and shove it in his lug hole. I tried to introduce him to the modern material called foam but he wasn't having any of it ...... Mainly cos he was deaf as a post.

Latest posts

Back