Royal Berkshire Handicap Challenge 2017

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't say tough I'd say interesting .

the 20 bird compak could have a load off you if you're not careful , the grouse flush is better than ever I think as you have some on report   Battues now to contend with and not so many edgy midis .

there is a really good teal on one stand , a pair of simp driven and two really good crossers off the big tower .

i will be back when my head is back in place 

I'm booked on for Saturday at 14:00.

Looking at the score boards suggests this is going to be a bit of a morale breaker! ?

I shot three of the stands today (at Tower final day) and struggled. Apparently they aren't the tough ones.. ? let's see tomorrow..

Very enjoyable even in the cold today. 2 steady stands and the rest I was clinging to by my fingernails. 

I heard about a big teal. I wouldn't call it a teal, its more a crow. Just goes vertically and must be shot on way up. Never shot anything like it. No idea how to cope with it except to rifle it at the dead top. Hit it twice. 

Had a shabby first go, then a much better afternoon round, so when they fix the leaderboard computer I think I'll be up there. I think it's enough to make the final. But a long time to wait and see. 

Recommend trying it to anybody. Have fun!

Oh and I have to mention this: I shot in a group of mates including Gary Davis (Banger on SC) who was first to shoot the infamous teal. He and the ref didn't read the sign that stated "must be shot on the way up". He shot them on the drop, hitting 4/5. Then they noticed the sign (after looking at our awkward faces). Gary was first to say that he had to do it again and proceeded to produce 5 perfect kills on the way up!! Amazing sight.

Well shot Will ,86  was a great score round that course. I would have been there with you but for totally cocking up that last stand.

Well done RBSS brilliant 100 sporting! tough but fair.

I've got mates having multiple goes at this. It's a great course. I think I've done enough for the final but may have another go for fun this week. It's a bit of a highlight of the year I always feel, so recommend booking in folks. If you can only make a Saturday, need to book a good while ahead. The bottom line is this: If you can hit your CPSA average, you're very likely in the final.

Had a go last week did ok really enjoy shooting there just me and went round with Nigel top bloke so didn't take long.

Found the compak quite testing and although i really enjoyed the Grouse butt just couldn't get my head round just firing the cartridges over my shoulder and having someone load for me...think it would have probably been quicker to do it myself.

Will definitely have another go if i can get up there in the week.

December 1st average, hence it suits anybody who is progressing well like you. Your handicap will be 14 added. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I hoped you would say that. So I need to shoot a 71-72 to get into that top 40. Hopefully I shoot better than I did back in 2015 with a 63.
I reckon the cut off may end up at 86, but that will meant the first few 86's shot as they are classed as first. Anybody shooting it from this point on will need an 87 with handicap. So 73 for you. Just my feel for it.. 

Ah I I was getting this confused with the Challenge Trophy that runs in August and is what I shot 2 years ago.

Tempted to book a 2nd go in after some lunch ?
Very different from that, mainly due to the 20 STR and 20 Grouse flush sequences. Highly likely you will improve doing a second go on same day.. 

RBSS do good lunch food sometimes.  If not, Red lion pub a mile away is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very different from that, mainly due to the 20 STR and 20 Grouse flush sequences. Highly likely you will improve doing a second go on same day.. 

RBSS do good lunch food sometimes.  If not, Red lion pub a mile away is great.
I did the Grouse Challenge last August 2x25 which was fun. Is it the same format of pre determined flush and they call the targets and load for you?

We tried the Ferryboat in Whitchurch last time and I can also recommend that.

Latest posts

Back