Trap Difficulty

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simbo

I hope to dabble in some county trap championships this coming season. I'm guessing DTL is the easier of the disciplines?..............a 1-7 list of difficulty please.

From the CPSA website. Down-the-Line (DTL) Single Barrel, Double Rise, Automatic Ball Trap (ABT), Olympic Trap, Double Trap and Universal Trench.

Ha Ha ! Well according to some any form of trap shooting is piss easy so just get a suitable hammer gun of some sort and get out there and shoot.

dtl easy to shoot hard to win

abt hard to shoot hard to win

double rise hard to shoot winnable on a good day due to low entries

ut old mans abt

ot hard to shoot very hard to win

Come on Paul..............My brother, Dave Simmons, tells me trap shooters are a real friendly bunch!

Theres the rub,im only pretending to be a trappie,what i was going to say was they all go away so shooting em is pish easy,hitting them consistantly isn't so easy.

People take the Mick out of DTL but when the muleskinners have a go they don't find it that easy.  ..

I have shot DTL, Skeet and ABT, the latter is admittedly hard but just doesn't compare to Sporting in variety terms so it's hard to get lots and lots of people to commit to shooting it often enough to improve hence it's not economical for the grounds. The former two are viable economically because they both formed the basis of how shooting clays started in the early days and people tend to have an affection for them even if they don't regularly shoot them.

Hard or easy the trouble with all these disciplines is the sameness of the format, would anyone shoot a 100 ESP layout that had variations of going away targets on ? Of course you wouldn't because it wouldn't be entertaining, hard has nothing to do with it. 

Austin Coxhead. 2nd in the DTL averages this year. 1st last year and been sgooting in the high 90's at ESP.

From the past Joe Wheater did everything. Shot OT at the Olympics and a top sporting shot with numerous titles to his name. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I admit to not being much good at DTL or Skeet for that matter which I only shoot once or twice a year max and tend to get 22/23, last time I shot DTL on my own at Dartford I missed a good five on the first round then realised you had to be quick so screwed in Full in my top barrel and killed 25 first barrel, I felt exonerated but not exhilarated. 

I have only shot ESP once and to be honest at that time I had never shot a clay target before. What I do remember though was that every stand on the course offered two targets and those same two presentations were shot five times and you got to see exactly what you were about to shoot up to 5 times depending on where you were in the squad. How many different targets do you normally get in a 50 or 100 target ESP ?

I admit to not being much good at DTL or Skeet for that matter which I only shoot once or twice a year max and tend to get 22/23, last time I shot DTL on my own at Dartford I missed a good five on the first round then realised you had to be quick so screwed in Full in my top barrel and killed 25 first barrel, I felt exonerated but not exhilarated. 
Ah well there you go Hammy miss one and you are effectively no longer in the competition at DTL :)  

He certainly did Ian as did quite a few of us  :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back