Any personal goals for the 2017 season?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonix

I thought It would be nice to see if anyone wanted to comment on what they are hoping to achieve in this new year of their clay shooting world?

I for one, have managed to scrape through into A class at the end of last year by the skin of my teeth, so my aim is to pick myself up from the "lull" in my shooting success on the shoots over the last 3-4 months and try and move safely up into the higher end of the A class percentages.

I treated myself to a new gun back in October (A K80....I know, I know, not to everyone's taste on here!), but I am starting to really feel more confidence in the gun, and becoming more methodical in how I address targets with it.

I also have entered my first ever major championship this year for the world sporting in Kelmarsh. So my aim there is to just A. Enjoy it, and B. Shoot well enough to not make a complete ass of myself! 

So, guys and gals, what have you all got in mind for your shooting world in 2017? 

?

Well I went comfortably into B class but would like to work on building up my scores in this class and maintaining those scores.  As always I need to work on cutting out any emotion during competition and just shoot.  I need desperately to work on teal and driven - my two worst targets that cost me dearly - this weekend I missed 9 teal at Southdown!   Continue to enjoy and participate in lots of competitions.  Oh also work on my Fitasc -  need to do better.

Well, I'm brand new to clay shooting, so I hope to learn generally so I know what the heck is what this year!

I haven't shot sporting (apart from a few during basic lessons), so I'd like to try that later in the year. For now, I've shot English skeet, literally just 3 times, 100 carts on each. For two of the sessions I kept score. First was 52/100, second was 57/100. I've no idea how good, bad or indifferent this is for a complete beginner, but my goal is to be getting perhaps 75/100 by the summer...

Happy new year all!

Too early yet. I will decide when I'be had chance to look at the ABT, UT and OT selections and championship dates and how they fit in with my work/family schedule . The only real thing I have on my mind is possibly to include a big shoot abroad if time allows . 

As usual I'm currently going through the big  winter slump in scores which always seems to hit me.  So first thing is to get the confidence and scores back on track. 

Get out to more Registered shoots than I have been for the last few months.  Learn to deal with having a bad stand (i.e. leaving it behind before I get to the next one). Improve my concentration (I often start well, but taper off in the second half of a hundred bird shoot).  Try to get out of the habit of drifting the gun through on some shots, it's costing me targets (I lost the first pair on a stand at Horne on Monday where I didn't push the gun through to finish the shot properly and ended up behind, gave myself a kick and was bang on the rest). Current average is mid-60's, if I can deal with some of the above then I would hope to be nudging B by the end of the year.

Oh, and try to sneak in a couple of lessons with Ed if possible.

Actually get SGC (sometime this week hopefully)

Pick up gun

Not be completely poop by end of the year.

Similar really. Last time dropped from B to C in sporting (missed the cutoff by 0.2%). Now easily back into B and due to dropping older scores my average is into the bottom of A class so main aim is to get that closer to 80% and lock in a move to A class for June.

Have not shot registered for 2 months as waiting on new DT11 with a custom stock and longer barrels. Only shot 60 practice clays with it so far but was spot on. 100 bird practice on Sat then hopefully first registered of 2017 on Sunday to see how I fare with the new gun in a comp.

Should really do my first major as well. Biggest I did last year was Beretta Worlds and was actually happy with 71% as worst weather I have ever shot in (two of my squad gave up and went home).

Well, I'm brand new to clay shooting, so I hope to learn generally so I know what the heck is what this year!

I haven't shot sporting (apart from a few during basic lessons), so I'd like to try that later in the year. For now, I've shot English skeet, literally just 3 times, 100 carts on each. For two of the sessions I kept score. First was 52/100, second was 57/100. I've no idea how good, bad or indifferent this is for a complete beginner, but my goal is to be getting perhaps 75/100 by the summer...

Happy new year all!
As long as your scores are on average heading upwards thats all that matters. Good to track your scores on a spreadsheet and work more on your weaker stands.

That said English Skeet requires you to be averaging 90.57% or higher to get out of C class (default CPSA class).

Having dragged my average up from 57 to 72% i would love to make A class in march, failing that in december.

Mine are usually 'Own Goals'  !    :???:

Well I went comfortably into B class but would like to work on building up my scores in this class and maintaining those scores.  As always I need to work on cutting out any emotion during competition and just shoot.  I need desperately to work on teal and driven - my two worst targets that cost me dearly - this weekend I missed 9 teal at Southdown!   Continue to enjoy and participate in lots of competitions.  Oh also work on my Fitasc -  need to do better.
I dislike doing "yer behind it"  BUT both of those targets are, in reality, very similar to each other in 'approach'. Has anyone, (who knows) watched you shoot them  ?

My specific aim is to get to AA by the next cut-off in June, if I get there then that would be going from nothing to that in 2 years which I would be proud of.

I've been giving some thot to getting back into long range rifle, some absolutely lovely things on the market these days, and becoming a political activist.

And, of course I always look forward to seeing the end of the year and being around for the next one.

and I'm trying to work up the courage to embarrass myself now and then at OT club shoots in SoCal.

and on another front I'd like to see Chelsea drop it in the dirt and Arsenal pick up the pace a bit

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine are usually 'Own Goals'  !    :???:

I dislike doing "yer behind it"  BUT both of those targets are, in reality, very similar to each other in 'approach'. Has anyone, (who knows) watched you shoot them  ?
Yes Westley, Tony has and has been waiting for me to finally accept help to change my approach without question or argument ??.  Lots of good shots including some revered coaches have seen my struggles on lots of shoots.  I shoot with one eye although pick up my targets with two but I also struggle with looking into sky above me - I become dizzy, shake and have been known to vomit.  Saw Ed Solomons just chatting at a shoot one day and he says one eye I will struggle on driven.  I can get the odd ones both on driven and teals but it really depends what type.  I'm sure half the battle is my negativity on entering a stand faced with either of there clays and the rest is finding a technique to work for me.  Sometimes if I cant my barrels I do better.  I am  going to listen to what Tony tells me to do and fight my stubbornness to be in control and just do it.   If it comes to it I am going to see someone like Mr Heagren who has seen me and heard me when I have shot teal and driven or Steve Nutbeam who could also handle me and whom I will eventually go to in any event for coaching.

To see a continual improvement in my performance, the rest will come from that. 

Oh, and I'd also like to make the top 20 as I've missed out by a whisker the last two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too early yet. I will decide when I'be had chance to look at the ABT, UT and OT selections and championship dates and how they fit in with my work/family schedule . The only real thing I have on my mind is possibly to include a big shoot abroad if time allows . 

As usual I'm currently going through the big  winter slump in scores which always seems to hit me.  So first thing is to get the confidence and scores back on track. 
Alsace OT GP at cernay 12th - 15th August inc practie on 12th....     Looking at hotels etc, its 250 bird shoot....

Yes Westley, Tony has and has been waiting for me to finally accept help to change my approach without question or argument ??.  Lots of good shots including some revered coaches have seen my struggles on lots of shoots.  I shoot with one eye although pick up my targets with two but I also struggle with looking into sky above me - I become dizzy, shake and have been known to vomit.  Saw Ed Solomons just chatting at a shoot one day and he says one eye I will struggle on driven.  I can get the odd ones both on driven and teals but it really depends what type.  I'm sure half the battle is my negativity on entering a stand faced with either of there clays and the rest is finding a technique to work for me.  Sometimes if I cant my barrels I do better.  I am  going to listen to what Tony tells me to do and fight my stubbornness to be in control and just do it.   If it comes to it I am going to see someone like Mr Heagren who has seen me and heard me when I have shot teal and driven or Steve Nutbeam who could also handle me and whom I will eventually go to in any event for coaching.
Teal and Driven are prolly two of the easier (not saying easy) birds to work out a fix for but it sounds like the fact you close one eye has something to do with your inconsistency.  The amount you shoot I think it's imperative you get a few hours in with a proven coach because it's bound to lift your game noticeably. 

In my experience both these presentations respond well to correct pre-address. 

Back