Miroku, pitted pins, pierced primers

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeShot

Was hunting yesterday and after picking up a spent cartridge, black primer dent caught my eye. Coming home  - after reading all about pitted firing pins on Miroku/Browning guns:just checked mine and see for yourself - after 1&1/2 years after purchase (2 full competition seasons tho)...

I believe nothing to worry - yet - gun is firing away just fine.

Spare pins are already ordered and I intend to shoot the gun with pitted pins as long as they work. Or should i change them asap? What do you suggest?

2016-12-22 19.15.06.jpg

2016-12-22 19.06.58.jpg

Just keep going. I have had more Miroku guns than I care to admit to,none of them were new,  and I have NEVER had new firing pins fitted in any of them. I have never used snap caps or replaced mainsprings either, come to think of it......!  

Remove the pins, gently polish the end to remove the pitting. Stick them back in. They will work fine and will no longer wear so fast. (Unless they have already been shortened, so they won't hit hard enough, but I assume these are untouched so far). 

That is a good strike.. no missfires so the problem is purly cosmetic.. leave as is. Polishing them will only remove good metal and shorten the pins which can't be good. Penetration is everything. 

Thank you all for replies. For the moment I will leave it as it is but wil keep an eye on them - will report if/when anything will change.

Thank you all for replies. For the moment I will leave it as it is but wil keep an eye on them - will report if/when anything will change.
Take them out and polish them now! Just enough to remove the pitting. This will stop them wearing further. If left they will stop working in time.

The biggest problem is the rim of the crater that is piercing the primers I guess - so every time it pierce the primer a small streak of hot gas escapes and welds the remaining tip of the pin?

While it isn't very complicated to fix - I'd still rather leave it up to a gunsmith to take a look - must check his working hours these days. I have a competition on January the 2nd and a hunt or two till mid January...will report.

Thank you for that offer Will ! I have spoken to gunsmith and he is full occupied till new year. Well I might find some time over the weekend and will give it a try. BTW - by the looks of it, those (upper ones) doesn't look spherical as under ones do - am I correct and if so does it matter?

BLASER ones are flatter shape, perhaps because they are in line with the cartridge. Most guns, the pins come in at an angle, so rounder is better. 

Will thank you for "knocking me over" - took me 1/2 hour and here is what I got :cool: - after going through this I'd encourage anybody to do it...many thanks.

2016-12-31 15.43.56.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a bench grinder with an abrasive wheel and then a polishing wheel. But when I've been stuck, I've done it with a handfile and emery paper.

Thanks, I think my lower pin on my Browning cynergy could do with a touch up. It has a. It of a crater and has pierced a couple of primers in the last few rounds.

I am an engineer and I don't possess any tools of the trade, so I grab anything at hand - this time my doughter's finger file for coarse work, followed by fine stone and finished with felt as seen on the pic from L-R. If I'd be looking for mirror finish I'd use suede at the end. Pins are (surprisingly) rather soft so take it easy.

2016-12-31 20.05.35.jpg

Chuck the pins in an electric drill chuck, spin them up and polish , eezy ,peezy.

The biggest issue is the amount of carbon crud that builds up on and around the pins shoulders . Also clean out the pin holes with a solvent soaked cotton bud.

Latest posts

Back