OT Target distance in Italy

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldabt

Have heard that the target distance has been reduced in Italian grounds for non elite shooters.  They saw numbers dropping off and took action to make it a little easier.

Seems it worked. 

Would a similar move around these parts encourage more participation I wonder. Especially when the sun isn't shining brightly in a clear blue sky.

No.The antiquated practice of drawing the comp out over a full day and the fact shooters have to ref is the main turn off.

No.The antiquated practice of drawing the comp out over a full day and the fact shooters have to ref is the main turn off.
absolutely totally agree paul. ?

Then it's not OT.  It is some undefined training/practice kind of shooting using a bunker.  It seems to me that here the bunker reluctance is $-based.  But that might be just cuz I'm the cheap thrifty one.

Have heard that the target distance has been reduced in Italian grounds for non elite shooters.  They saw numbers dropping off and took action to make it a little easier.

Seems it worked. 

Would a similar move around these parts encourage more participation I wonder. Especially when the sun isn't shining brightly in a clear blue sky.
was in italy last month, been shooting only few times but never heard of that,

where did you get that info?

If that is the case they would be as well just shooting UT and making it a bit more of a challenge because a slowed down OT is only offering 15 targets with UT at least you get 25 different targets.

Sacrilidge  :no:  

If they are not OT speed then it's not OT. 

Amazed the Italians would even dream of such a thing. It's their National sport  :no:

DT

It is a bit daft to do this really... if you can make an average of say 75% over the course of a season you can basically break any target so it really is nothing to do with the speed of the targets more the technique that is being used to try and break them... improve the technique improve the score!

Sacrilidge  :no:  

If they are not OT speed then it's not OT. 

Amazed the Italians would even dream of such a thing. It's their National sport  :no:

DT
I can't believe they would do that. 

Probably more like bringing them back to the regulation speed for the winter.

Not seen anything about this on any of the Italian sites, the entries are as big as ever, but never saw a decline.

It would mean running different layouts for different classes.

They still let you use 28g unless in the top category, they had a decline when 24g came out, so they swapped back to 28 for 80% of the shooters.

Not seen anything about this on any of the Italian sites, the entries are as big as ever, but never saw a decline.

It would mean running different layouts for different classes.

They still let you use 28g unless in the top category, they had a decline when 24g came out, so they swapped back to 28 for 80% of the shooters.

I never understood why they shoot the hardest discipline with the least shot !

Just to make it even harder

Last edited by a moderator:
balltrap

Not going to pull the punches we have had this debate before and their are many who flatly refuse to believe that using 28g is any better than using 24g ...  or to put that in reverse that using 24g is just as effective as using 28g . In answer to your first question though. The very best shooters in the world of trap shooting shoot OT and they are so good that the use of 28g loads is not a requirement for them to break 125ex125 in fact I would be willing to bet that a move down to 20g through ultra tight chokes would probably not halt the really top shooters they are that accurate... the rest of the worlds average OT shooters would continue to be ineffective even if they continued with 24g loads ... which is an argument that could be used by them to prove that it makes no difference what load they shoot... of course all it actually proves is what most thinking people do know, that is, regardless of what load they are shooting they are still not accurate enough to put what load they do have on target consistently... the same is most certainly not true of top level shooters who can really exploit what they are allowed to shoot  :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
balltrap

Not going to pull the punches we have had this debate before and their are many who flatly refuse to believe that using 28g is any better than using 24g ...  or to put that in reverse that using 24g is just as effective as using 28g . In answer to your first question though. The very best shooters in the world of trap shooting shoot OT and they are so good that the use of 28g loads is not a requirement for them to break 125ex125 in fact I would be willing to bet that a move down to 20g through ultra tight chokes would probably not halt the really top shooters they are that accurate... the rest of the worlds average OT shooters would continue to be ineffective even if they continued with 24g loads ... which is an argument that could be used by them to prove that it makes no difference what load they shoot... of course all it actually proves is what most thinking people do know, that is, regardless of what load they are shooting they are still not accurate enough to put what load they do have on target consistantly  :)  

Yes i know all that, i just like rattling the cage :lol:

john, you have to know Dave quite well to "get him" ??

Back