Blaser F16.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

Well, I went for a test drive of the Blaser F16, 32" today. I went with 4 other pensioners, 2 x Browning and 2 x Beretta users, plus me, and I am currently shooting a Beretta 303 auto. I shot for the first time since March, last Sunday, and was reasonably pleased with my score so I felt quite confident. We all handled the gun within the gunshop and were all impressed by it's 'feel' and handling.i It certainly did not feel it's 8lbs + weight. So, out we went. The first 3 stands left me feeling a bit 'confused' really. It went along the lines of kill/lost,  lost/kill, pair killed, pair lost. This was similar over all 3 stands. Problems were, the gun was a touch long and too high at  38, 50mm comb. but it just felt vague really. On simple crossers, I felt "Oh, this is dead".......................er, NO, but I was unable to realise why ?  I went to a teal bird, a target that I can normally tell where the gun is shooting (high/low etc). The same thing, kill one miss one, and so on.  Then a couple of the other Guy's had a go, I was relieved to see that they were the same. One commented that he was shooting 2 foot below the teal, to connect with it. I was feeling some recoil issues too, but put that down to being used to an auto. When I mentioned recoil, 2 of the others said they were aware of increased recoil too. One of whom is using an 'Ultralight' and Eley Blues  !  After 5 stands we took a break and I returned to Blaser to the shop. When we resumed, I took my Beretta 303, I purposely shot the stands again. I straighted  the first 3 and dropped 1 on the next and then 3 on the last. So, I had shot a 36 ex 40, BUT I also knew where I had missed and why, which I had been unable to work out with the Blaser. 

So, the Jury is still out on this one, I would like to try the 30",  BUT, I am led to believe the stock measurements are all the same. I was really disappointed with a gun that had received such 'hype' and I had been waiting patiently to try. I am unable to be more precise in an evaluation of the gun, but I will NOT be ordering one......................yet. Maybe the adjustable comb version will be the answer, when it arrives. Just depends how LOW they can get the stock to start with. 

I think most of us wouldn't be as consistent if we picked up a gun that we had never shot before, especially not after shooting for 6-months.  

Like your 303, my Blaser shoots where I want it to as I found out last Sunday after a 3-week break.

To be fair I found the F16 a bit low in the comb when I had a play with one at the Worlds. 

just stick with the auto Westley.....even though there Shiite. :)

I think most of us wouldn't be as consistent if we picked up a gun that we had never shot before, especially not after shooting for 6-months.  

Like your 303, my Blaser shoots where I want it to as I found out last Sunday after a 3-week break.

To be fair I found the F16 a bit low in the comb when I had a play with one at the Worlds. 
Well all I can say is,  I went and shot a demo Browning 725 today, the grade 3 thing with one of those horrible adjustable comb bits. Granted I only shot around 10 pairs of a 25 yard quartering,  right to left incomer,  followed by a left to right crosser at about 35 yards, but up a bit. I used an assortment of provided cheddite cartridges from 21 through 24's to 28 grams. The comb was as flat as it would go. I missed the 1st. left to right, but doubled the lead and shot all of the remainder. I did not notice any recoil and I was 100 per cent in control of the gun, it shot where I was looking. Apart from the butchered stock, the wood is very nice (for a modern gun) and with the comb flat, it is a reasonable fit, if maybe a touch long. I do not know what chokes were in it, but it was dusting the nearer clay and well breaking the further one, even with the 21's. Well after a bit of haggle and an excellent trade in price, the gun is now mine. This included the shop owner agreeing to keep the comb adjustment key in his safe. After fitting an Isis pad, that will cover the hole in the heel for the key anyway !  All I need now is for Briley to make some after market extended chokes and we have a winner. Thing is Dan, I found the Blaser far too HIGH in the comb and any stock alterations would have been a costly affair. I am an old school shooter who keeps their head upright and brings the stock to shoulder and cheek. Judging by all of the high and even higher ribs now appearing, there may be something in the more upright approach !

just stick with the auto Westley.....even though there Shiite. :)
They may well be fertiliser, BUT they shoot like hell !

if it suits and you can be arsed picking cases up then stick with it.

Well all I can say is,  I went and shot a demo Browning 725 today, the grade 3 thing with one of those horrible adjustable comb bits. Granted I only shot around 10 pairs of a 25 yard quartering,  right to left incomer,  followed by a left to right crosser at about 35 yards, but up a bit. I used an assortment of provided cheddite cartridges from 21 through 24's to 28 grams. The comb was as flat as it would go. I missed the 1st. left to right, but doubled the lead and shot all of the remainder. I did not notice any recoil and I was 100 per cent in control of the gun, it shot where I was looking. Apart from the butchered stock, the wood is very nice (for a modern gun) and with the comb flat, it is a reasonable fit, if maybe a touch long. I do not know what chokes were in it, but it was dusting the nearer clay and well breaking the further one, even with the 21's. Well after a bit of haggle and an excellent trade in price, the gun is now mine. This included the shop owner agreeing to keep the comb adjustment key in his safe. After fitting an Isis pad, that will cover the hole in the heel for the key anyway !  All I need now is for Briley to make some after market extended chokes and we have a winner. Thing is Dan, I found the Blaser far too HIGH in the comb and any stock alterations would have been a costly affair. I am an old school shooter who keeps their head upright and brings the stock to shoulder and cheek. Judging by all of the high and even higher ribs now appearing, there may be something in the more upright approach !

They may well be fertiliser, BUT they shoot like hell !
Lovely guns the 725's, I've had one since the start of this year and they are superb to shoot. Browning do some nice silver extended chokes with a gold band on them as well, similar to the briley spectrum.

I shoot a 725  32"   super guns  I feel low recoil  smooth to shoot , I have original browning ds extended chokes 1/2 1/2   ive only had it a couple of months  but I'm content  and that's half the battle ,   oh nice trigger pulls too .   :wink:  

Lovely guns the 725's, I've had one since the start of this year and they are superb to shoot. Browning do some nice silver extended chokes with a gold band on them as well, similar to the briley spectrum.
Yes they do,   BUT,   they are ALL bloody GOLD    !

I do not think colour coding or external marking other than the silly little notches in the end, should be beyond their capability   ! 

Yes they do,   BUT,   they are ALL bloody GOLD    !

I do not think colour coding or external marking other than the silly little notches in the end, should be beyond their capability   ! 
Me and a friend have ordered chokes from HERE and are very happy with the chokes!! 

Only issue is that the chokes do take 2-3 weeks to arrive on some occasions!!

The extended black with colour bands really do look nice!!

Me and a friend have ordered chokes from HERE and are very happy with the chokes!! 

Only issue is that the chokes do take 2-3 weeks to arrive on some occasions!!

The extended black with colour bands really do look nice!!
Brilliant,  thank you for that. I swear by Briley chokes and they colour code the degree of choke. I shall be ordering 2 x I/C very soon. Just need to sell a set of Briley extended invector plus first. I could find no trace of those on the Chris Potter website.

Over the moon with my 725 S3 with the adjustable stock. I found out that I require quite a lot of cast off and if it wasn't for getting the adjustable stock version I wouldn't be shooting (as) straight ;-) So, having that adj stock has been good for me albeit I dont need the comb raising.

Out of the other brands I tried (2.5 - 3.2k) the 725 felt right in the shoulder, well happy so far. Got to agree with the choke colour co-ordination or lack off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back