Gun cleaning

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

What are the thoughts on using brake cleaner as a solvent to clean and degrease gun parts prior to re oiling ? I am thinking trigger units and receiver parts.

My advice would be 'don't do it' !! Brake cleaners can be very aggressive. I would stick with a regular degreasing agent if you must use one at all. An oily rag is all I use.

DT

I use it all the time.  But if you get it on most, maybe any, finished wood You Are Fooked.  But for me it is great for cleaning barrels and anything else METAL with the wood set aside.  After, I spray it all down with WD40, wipe it down, and then properly lube everything that needs it.  Not something I do all that often but the guns do get the massive douche at least once a year.

YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you only use it on metal parts and re-oil them immediately, I don't expect any problems.

I prefer to use oil to clean, or a mild(er) degreaser if parts don't get clean with oil.

i use carburetter cleaner it woks ok but be carefull with wd40  if you clean barrells and dont oil them  then put them away for the next season you may find they stART TO RUST

don't be a tight arse. Frog land must have a stock of propper stuff for guns .

?

I just use clean cartridges, all of the above is like a foreign language to me  !  Praise be to HULL !

I have done the rest, now I just shoot the best  !  You see,  I have been to Hull and back over cartridges  !    :p

I have done the rest, now I just shoot the best  !  You see,  I have been to Hull and back over cartridges  !    :p
Hull and back is not very far is it ! now you have your sight back maybe you need to look further ! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back