Feedback on Fitasc shoots

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Baker

I am looking for feedback on Fitasc shoots throughout the season, both registered 'normal' shoots and those organised by the Bitcsf. 

Whats your views?

What do you like not like etc. 

Two days one day?

Entry fees 

Prizes?

Anything greatly received. 

I am looking for feedback on Fitasc shoots throughout the season, both registered 'normal' shoots and those organised by the Bitcsf. 

Whats your views?

What do you like not like etc. 

Two days one day?

Entry fees 

Prizes?

Anything greatly received. 
I can start if you like.  Personally I would prefer to do two layouts, have a break and then carry on and do two more layouts.  I don't like the big breaks in between each layout.  I know Fitasc shooters say its all about the getting together etc etc but it does nothing for my concentration and it makes the day very long sometimes.  I prefer one day events rather than spread over two so that I can go home - that's just me.  I also don't like just 50 birds a day.  I have not done much Fitasc but what I have done I have enjoyed - Southdown, Barrowheath, West London (when they did their little series) and a few others.

I don't have a view on the entry fee or prizes.

My thoughts - as this pretty much all I shoot now.

What I like

The social side

The variety of targets

The fact that you can be squaded with very good shots where you may learn a thing or two.

I prefer new system as that has even more variety of targets.

Edit: I like knowing what time to be at peg and not having to queue, not a fan of queuing on my day off!

I also like the fact that one "brainfart" on a peg can ruin your card in a matter of seconds!

What I dont like

Not much to be honest.

The waits sometimes can be over long between layouts

Price wise its about right.

Couldn't give a monkeys regarding prize money. I've won money in my class on a couple of occasions.I can remember my Class win but I've already forgotten how much money I won.

I like the odd two day shoot - e.g Great weekend at Hodnet a couple of years ago. Think that was a selection shoot?

Prefer the one day shoots as cant devote a whole weekend to shooting more often than not.

As a footnote, If I had the time and money I would shoot pretty much all disciplines whether one or two days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certain things need to be addressed from the top down if these events are to carry on IMHO !!!

The entries have diminished over the last few years to what they once was..................Just Saying  :cry: :cry:

My personal preferences are as follows:-

I like a good mixture of long and short targets and would not go if all layouts were basically "skeet in the woods"

I am reluctant to attend two day events if they happen to be over an hour and a half drive due to the travelling or having to stay over. 

Due to the time scale of shooting sporting FITASC then I am reluctant to attend shoots at grounds which do not have decent facilities.

Some of my shooting friends, especially the younger ones don't shoot FITASC even though they would like to as they can't afford it.

Also some other friends are put off by the amount of time it takes and the waits in between layouts.

My personal preference would be for competitors to shoot in their correct class !

hoping to shoot my first this year when they start at mount farm barnsley plus side only about 10 mile away from my house .heard good things about the place ...... I think the price for birds only his 50,55 pound for 120 birds so really wont feel the price as I use 30 pounds of feul round trip to eg.kegworth orston plus obv entry so just works out same as shooting the fitasc as comp 

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting on for £1 / bird price is steep. 

Time commitment is a pain but the social side makes up fot it.

Fitasc seems to have lost its way rapidly and needs a complete overhaul to make it great Again 

im not knocking referees as I have the utmost respect for them giving up their time to alllow us 

to enjoy the sport 

but enforcing of the rules varies hugely at the minute 

personally I think bill tatnall is spot on you know what to expect he takes no prisoners so your competing 

on a level playing field a lot of refs don't even change sides for a left handed shooter or even bother loooking

if a guns high on the line .

Also it has been noted for a while that setters get lazy and targets are not worthy to be called fitasc birds 

I know not everything has to be miles away to be a good bird but  scores in the 90 s were rare years back 

finally and I have raised this at Cpsa headquaters selection shoots need to be spread more evenly across the country

the last two years everything has been up the eastern side of the country meaning miles of travelling and hotel

expense for people going for the badge 

Fitasc seems to have lost its way rapidly and needs a complete overhaul to make it great Again 

im not knocking referees as I have the utmost respect for them giving up their time to alllow us 

to enjoy the sport 

personally I think bill tatnall is spot on you know what to expect he takes no prisoners so your competing 

on a level playing field a lot of refs don't even change sides for a left handed shooter or even bother loooking

Also it has been noted for a while that setters get lazy and targets are not worthy to be called fitasc birds 

I know not everything has to be miles away to be a good bird but  scores in the 90 s were rare years back 

finally and I have raised this at Cpsa headquaters selection shoots need to be spread more evenly across the country

the last two years everything has been up the eastern side of the country meaning miles of travelling and hotel

You have some good points there Pete .....when you dilute anything it becomes weaker ????

to enjoy the sport 

You do have some good points but I'd like to offer a slightly different take on things. Maybe FITASC needs to look at itself and see why it is that ESP continues to grow in numbers and support, maybe people (the majority) don't want the longer time it takes, maybe the majority don't want the minutia of rules that have to be adhered to, maybe most don't necessarily want so called extreme birds, the majority most certainly don't want the increased costs !

I woz there back when scores in ESP were a shadow of the glorious scores of today and I can tell you it wasn't because targets were harder but simply because more of us today can afford to travel and practice, in simple terms standards have risen, nowt to do with targets being closer, they are in fact much harder and more technical than yesteryear.

John Bidwell is an old school Fitasc shooter and he's on record (video) as saying much the same about Fitasc, he blows away the myth that targets were bigger in the past. Standards and skills of shooters have risen and we need to recognise that and give credit where it's due. 

Maybe Fitasc needs to chill out a bit, to me it has always seemed a little up itself, I shot it once a few years ago and people who couldn't quite keep up score wise were rolling their eyes about my pre-address  :rolleyes:  as if the 10mm (if that) was what caused them to miss. 

Then of course we keep hearing how it is the F1 of shooting sports in difficulty terms when neither stats nor physical facts back that up, oh how I wish I could get two shots at some birds, how I wish a bird I couldn't find didn't cost me 4-5 targets coz that's what happens in ESP. 

The only way Fitasc is going to get more popular is by doing more of what makes ESP popular, less waiting, cheaper entries and a less clicky/critical atmosphere. 

Hammy you also make some valid points but have to agree with Phil it simply won't be fitasc

youve got compak if you like closer birds still the waiting between layouts but a bit cheaper agreed 

I Agree it may come across a bit clicky you've only got to look in the car park to see what your up against

money wise wall to wall sports cars and range rovers were not all Jeremy bakers !!

these guys are self made men who have done well for themselves and good luck to them 

I don't include myself in that bracket just a poor old pikey tarmacer I'm afraid but I do enjoy the sport as it 

should be known and run 

you state in your post you shot it once a few years back a lots changed probably since then !!

People moan about the cost but how many people do you know on the circuit that on a Sunday will shoot two

or three registered 100 birders that adds up to a lot more than a round of fitasc 

The shooters choice at the end of the day 

Hammy you also make some valid points but have to agree with Phil it simply won't be fitasc

youve got compak if you like closer birds still the waiting between layouts but a bit cheaper agreed 

I Agree it may come across a bit clicky you've only got to look in the car park to see what your up against

money wise wall to wall sports cars and range rovers were not all Jeremy bakers !!

these guys are self made men who have done well for themselves and good luck to them 

I don't include myself in that bracket just a poor old pikey tarmacer I'm afraid but I do enjoy the sport as it 

should be known and run 

you state in your post you shot it once a few years back a lots changed probably since then !!

People moan about the cost but how many people do you know on the circuit that on a Sunday will shoot two

or three registered 100 birders that adds up to a lot more than a round of fitasc 

The shooters choice at the end of the day 

Who said anything about close targets :) , seriously I don't for one moment want to run Fitasc down because if I had the money and time on my hand I prolly be doing half a dozen shoots a year, more would be unlikely as they are simply not as common as ESP.

I shot an 89 maybe 6-7 years ago at Southdown and it was won on 94/95 and having since talked to many experienced sporting shooters many agree with me that it is actually somewhat more forgiving than ESP. 

There's close, there's medium and sensible and there's hard distant targets and then there's extreme birds set up to expressly cause you to miss and deny you a layout straight. I kind of get that but you too have to get that that is not everyone's idea of clever or being tested. In other words so what if that's not Fitasc then as Phil says, what I'm saying is maybe Fitasc IS Fitasc's problem. We wouldn't be having this conversation if they'd got the formula right  :mellow:  because it is plain to see that they haven't. 

Who said anything about close targets :) , seriously I don't for one moment want to run Fitasc down because if I had the money and time on my hand I prolly be doing half a dozen shoots a year, more would be unlikely as they are simply not as common as ESP.

I shot an 89 maybe 6-7 years ago at Southdown and it was won on 94/95 and having since talked to many experienced sporting shooters many agree with me that it is actually somewhat more forgiving than ESP. 

There's close, there's medium and sensible and there's hard distant targets and then there's extreme birds set up to expressly cause you to miss and deny you a layout straight. I kind of get that but you too have to get that that is not everyone's idea of clever or being tested. In other words so what if that's not Fitasc then as Phil says, what I'm saying is maybe Fitasc IS Fitasc's problem. We wouldn't be having this conversation if they'd got the formula right  :mellow:  because it is plain to see that they haven't. 
Hammy, my statement didnt include for the long distant unshootable targets !!!

Anyone who has shot my FITASC events will know that i NEVER put those targets on or edge on targets either.......

its all about speed, angles, gun hold positions for the doubles, agree Pete ??

I still think its good value for money, as its a whole day out with like minded shooting pals, BUT as a ground owner ESP entries far outway FSP entries on a shoot day with double the foot traffic making it a financial 2nd best compared to ESP 

Hammy, my statement didnt include for the long distant unshootable targets !!!

Anyone who has shot my FITASC events will know that i NEVER put those targets on or edge on targets either.......

its all about speed, angles, gun hold positions for the doubles, agree Pete ??

I still think its good value for money, as its a whole day out with like minded shooting pals, BUT as a ground owner ESP entries far outway FSP entries on a shoot day with double the foot traffic making it a financial 2nd best compared to ESP 
I'm no expert but I loved your Fitasc even though I came last but if you could just lay on the sportrap for me during breaks I promise to spend loads ?

Phil Agree totally I wouldent travel 3 1/2 hours to shoot crap targets 

J D  has taught you well  :smile:

Latest posts

Back