is it common

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonky70

ive bought a brand new silver pigeon one and ive used it twice and ive cleaned it both times but the barrels are both scratched and the top choke was hard to get out but the bottom choke came out easy????????????

hello Tony,  I guess the scratched barrels you talkin about are just through the chambers ?  yes it's very common for chokes to come loose and others to stay tight, never use a choke key on extended chokes, get into the habbit of just hand nipping them before you go into the stand. Nige

yes in the chambers after cleaning and i only do them up nip tight but one was easy to come out but the other was harder

what you are seeing just through the chambers is a mix of lead & plastic fouling, I suggest you use 009 spray or liquid on a light piece of cloth or wool mop, you need to soak the fouling in the 009 for a half an hour and then re-clean again and if that doesn't remove it you'll have to do it again, Beretta's the are optima bored are renowned for this ( I've had them) older Beretta's aren't so bad with this, I've noticed the same thing happenin with my sons new Guerini Maxum, chrome line barrels are prone to this too were as ordinary steel lined barrels aren't just as bad, as for your chokes - well you'll just have to get used to your own gun over time - just remember to nip them up before entering the stand.  Nige

yep .. What Nige said,Optima Bores on my Beretta can be a a pain to clean especially if using fiber wads ,the lead just scuffs like crazy in the forcing cones and can take several attempts to clean out . Rob

CSC3the first time i used shooting ground cartridges and the second time i used my gun i used eley first cartridges and thats when ive noticed the marks in the chambers can you or anyone recommend anything else that wont cause the marks in the chambers

unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the marks except clean them off each time they appear /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-confused.gifNige 

NIGEmy chokes didnt come loose it was when i cleaned my gun i took them out and cleaned them that i noticed how there were

CleverSC3 said:

robo, are you using Eleys? They leave a huge amount of muck, especially in forcing cones..CSC3Hi CSC3I went to a shoot recently that was Fiber only  so brought 100 Eley First Fibers on site …. never again will I use them, took bloody ages to clean out the mess they leave .My main cartridge is Eley Olympics which are plastic wads…just taken a delivery of 2000 from my sponsor…I dont find them to bad to be honest and they are free /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif Rob 

Last edited by a moderator:
robwould you suggest then that i clean my gun more then and try and get rid of the marks and what cartridge would you use if you have to use fibre wads only and if you get the choice would you use plastic wads over fibre??????????

tonky70 said:

robwould you suggest then that i clean my gun more then and try and get rid of the marks and what cartridge would you use if you have to use fibre wads only and if you get the choice would you use plastic wads over fibre?????????? Hi Tonky70It can take a while to clean out, I use Beretta bore cleaner and leave it to soak for a while then scrub with bronze brush and repeat if needed.If I have to use fibers I would go with Game Bore Blue Diamond as the shot is a lot harder than Eley Firsts and I prefer plastic wads but some shoots you cant use plasticRob

rob So do you think if I went with gamebore White gold plastic wad and blue diamond fibre wad would be a good choice in cartridges

Hi Tonky, all I can say is try a few and see how you get on with them, I try and use Blue Diamond fibers at fiber only shoots as the lead is slightly harder and doesnt  seem to scuff as much in the forcing cones.Rob

I used to scrub the bores clean after every use, but quickly realised there's no point.  Just the basics after every use, then barrels scrubbed once a month or so with a double length brass brush and a drill.  Takes minutes to do.

Try to find BreakFree CLP! It is used by many armed forces on both sides of the pond! My 391 Gold Optima has not been cleaned since 2003 and my DT 10L since 2004. BreakFree!It is late, more later!The lone Canadian,Henry/wp-content/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

just a update about this post i didnt clean my gun enough so the guys at avalon guns sorted it for me and its all nice and clean again and ive ive bought some gamebore blue diamonds thanks guys for all your help

Back