High Rib Set-up DT11 X-Trap (and others)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillipBradshaw

Looking for a bit of feedback from those already using high-ribs please. I've shot for many years now mainly at DTL but with a conventional rib on a sporter (K80 SuperSport). I have been reasonably successful with that (best 98 ignoring 2nd barrels) with a good few 75's but the illusive 100 has evaded all attempts. Being practical I know that the combination of me and the gun I've had is probably as good as "all the gear" is going to get me but I've been seduced by the hype around high-ribs and I've bought a DT11 X-Trap; I know it's not going to magically make the 100 appear without further ado but, just like most us of us might admit, a bit more kit is simply a nice to have if nothing else. So the question; what I've been doing for years is to track the clay, quickly and go fractionally above it (so that the barrels just cover it) and fire. What I want to do with the X-Trap is to just have the clay hanging just in sight, on the sight, on the tip of the barrels. Problem seems to be that I can't get the barrel adjusted enough to achieve the required sight picture; I've been told that I should have the front adjuster on the "1" and the front depressed as far as it will go but I find Iam still covering the clay as I shoot if I want (as I do!) to hit it. My past experience is telling me that I am probably over thinking and looking too hard for a picture that's at odds with the K80 set-up and the fact is that I've already managed to mess with my own head on this too much. Any advice happy received please as well as a bit of "technical" advice" on the matter of how to set up the rib (and stock which I know might need some more thought) for the gun to shoot as high as possible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a Trap shooter but trying to engineer a situation where you can effectively ride targets out with your sight picture is asking for trouble. I just can't see how that can be done consistently without causing conscious aiming/rifling/tracking (which can and will cause the swing to stop).

By all means get the thing set up so it throws higher than your old gun did but I feel you just need to revise your tempo and possibly simply learn to fire a nano second earlier whilst the thing is still definitely on the climb. Even at ESP going aways and quartering birds are best shot fluidly and not with timed methods that rely on keeping the target in view as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds to me as tho you need to have a session with someone who actually knows how to manage all that adjustability.  Just cranking one end or the other up or down is gonna leave you flapping in the wind forever.

here's how I would do it:

set the muzzle end somewhere in the middle of the range

push the back end all the way down - just get the rib outta the way

adjust the comb so you get the POI you want with the sight picture you prefer - this is pattern board time

raise the back of the rib to get the rib view you like

Lowering the front will let you lower the comb and raising will let you raise the comb for the same POI with the same sight picture

Personally I have this inhibition about adjustable ribs since they seem fragile to me.  I like high ribs tho just fine.  Never had a gun that I couldn't get where I wanted it with nothing more than an adjusto comb.  YMMV

Go and see David Ball
agree with this. David is THE best DTL coach bar none and he knows how to set high ribs up and how to get the best from them. He is also a thoroughly nice chap, a real gent.

come and shoot esp   , dtl is mind numbingly  boring  , cant have a laugh or chat  it restricts any fun  from shooting .  !   tin hat on .    :rolleyes:    

I must admit I have enjoyed my occasional esp its definitely a different days shooting than trap, much more relaxed and as I am so bad at it quite stess free plus I love handling the game gun instead of the heavyweight trap job. Having another fifty bird at dolphin on Sunday and if I can get considerably better at it I may even do a reg comp ?

oops sorry for thread drift ?

Go and see David Ball
Absolutely. Setting up high rib guns is a bit of a dark art. One adjustment affects the other and it's easy to send yourself down a blind alley.

David will sort you out. PM me if you need his number. 

I must admit I have enjoyed my occasional esp its definitely a different days shooting than trap, much more relaxed and as I am so bad at it quite stess free plus I love handling the game gun instead of the heavyweight trap job. Having another fifty bird at dolphin on Sunday and if I can get considerably better at it I may even do a reg comp ?

oops sorry for thread drift ?
Will that be 5 x 10 or 2 x 25 then ?  Was there last night, just lookin. Agree with the Sporting comment, the Sporting shooters were quite pleasant  in attitude, the Trappies........well, what a miserable bunch. One guy did smile but I suspect it was WIND ! 

Will that be 5 x 10 or 2 x 25 then ?  Was there last night, just lookin. Agree with the Sporting comment, the Sporting shooters were quite pleasant  in attitude, the Trappies........well, what a miserable bunch. One guy did smile but I suspect it was WIND ! 
I was there last night.. dodging the heavy showers.  Or not as the case was. Where the heck did summer go?

Absolutely. Setting up high rib guns is a bit of a dark art. One adjustment affects the other and it's easy to send yourself down a blind alley.

David will sort you out. PM me if you need his number. 
It's really fairly simple geometry but as you say that can be a dark art for some.

There really is no magic to high adjustable rib and comb set ups! Your sight picture, if you actually use one, should be no different to a non high rib. Those high set up adjustable jobs are just for a more head up shooting position and better peripheral vision. As for covering the target, well if your master eye is blocked by the gun, your non master eye may take over and cause a miss, it could also mean that you are aiming and watching the barrel as Hammy mentioned previously.Yes go and see Dave Ball too! Sorry, just my opinion.

agree, you can get over analytical with high ribs and think there is some dark magic when the reality is as les said above.

There really is no magic to high adjustable rib and comb set ups! Your sight picture, if you actually use one, should be no different to a non high rib. Those high set up adjustable jobs are just for a more head up shooting position and better peripheral vision. As for covering the target, well if your master eye is blocked by the gun, your non master eye may take over and cause a miss, it could also mean that you are aiming and watching the barrel as Hammy mentioned previously.Yes go and see Dave Ball too! Sorry, just my opinion.
Aha, sorted that one..............if you only have vision in 1 eye, the gun HAS to go where you are looking !         :wink:

Latest posts

Back