Which Sporting gun - 2.5k - 3.4k?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a new sporter, 30" barrels, M\C and preferably adjustable comb.

I've narrowed my choice down to 3 guns (i think)

1. Beretta 692 Black - adjustable comb
  2. Miroku MK38 Grade 5 Sporter
  3. Ceaser guerini summit ascent - adjustable comb
So, I hear that there are problems with the Beretta nowadays but would the 692 Black edition have been modified or have Beretta fixed the on-going issues (ejectors)?

Miroku is a pretty safe bet but in terms of looks my least favourite and Ceasers I dont know much about. The Beretta i like.

Any thoughts if you'd be so kind? Either way I'll be getting the gun fitted so it's not too much of a problem buying 'stock'

I don't really want S\Hand.

Those you mention are all good buys though personally I'd think carefully about the Ascent because low ribs are invariably better all rounders for ESP. The Beretta I believe has the lightest barrels of the trio followed by the Miroku which leaves the Summit Ascent last which feel rather front heavy to me whenever I've handled examples. 

This means you really need to handle them properly and shoot them too if at all possible, incidentally your budget easily stretches to the CG Invictus which doesn't seem to quite feel as nose heavy. 

I know you said not Second hand. But you should have a look at a used DT10.

Especially if your contemplating Beretta. 

you like the 692, its a Beretta.......job done.

Go to a try before you buy place bud and have a go with all 3 help make your mind up its what feels comfartable to you ..... 

As above though i wouldent rule out a s/h dt 10 adj  

You should also have browning 725 on that list. s1 at around £2k. Black edition£2.4k . Pro trap at around 3k. The pro trap with flat rib and adjustable comb is a proper tool with loads of chokes an balance weights everywhere.

Says the bloke who just got rid of one :D :D :D

Guerini all the way. Second only to Perazzi :)

PS i have a summit limited with adjustable comb,  extended and teague chokes, 32", an excellent sporting gun and just 1/2 your budget so you could buy 8-10000 cartridges with the leftovers! ;)

Is definately swerve the 692 due to quality issues, have a play with the other two and see what you like!

if re sale value is a worry drop the CG but shouldn't be too much of a worry unless you plan on changing again soon!

I've a Summit Ascent 30 inch for sale. 

Brand new Factory stock available with matching forend 

or Original Stock fitted by Malcolm Jenkins if it fits. Cased chokes etc. 

Just serviced by CG. 

for the record I got rid of a high rib job. I did not find the build quality bad at all in fact I would say it was better than the recent 682gold e jobs that I have had.

Thanks guys. My problem is i'm in the Highlands and our local dealers as far as I'm aware dont offer 'try before you buy' or have facilties to try this lot out.

Yes I've read your past posts on the 692, whats your opinion now, what did you change the 692 to?

Any idea if the 'Black' version has sorted out the issues, anybody?

You should also have browning 725 on that list. s1 at around £2k. Black edition£2.4k . Pro trap at around 3k. The pro trap with flat rib and adjustable comb is a proper tool with loads of chokes an balance weights everywhere.
Cheers, I'll take a look at one of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. My problem is i'm in the Highlands and our local dealers as far as I'm aware dont offer 'try before you buy' or have facilties to try this lot out.
Hi Pugs,

I would suggest you take a trip and go down to see Tom Young at North Ayrshire...he has all three of the guns you are interested in, on the shelf, new, ready to go and he is very, very hard to beat on price for a new gun!!! (Speak to Tom and he will always give you best price, he is not allowed to advertise Beretta's ect at his best price)

Two out of the three have second hand versions on the shelf too (which Tom may let you try). Buy your gun, try it there and then with 15 stands sporting, compact sporting, DTL, ABT, OT, Skeet, Olympic Skeet to choose from. 20p per clay and clay mate system and around 3million shells in store, so you can practice until your hearts content!!!

http://www.continentalshooting.co.uk/shop/guns_for_sale.aspx?get_url=http://www.guntrader.co.uk/3rdparty/Continental/GunList.php?Filter=SG

Just over 1/2 hour from Glasgow city center 

I'll take a lookat this.

Now I'm also looking at the Browning Cynergy Composite Black Ice, this looks very good with the options of fitment, it's just geeting over the tradiitonal walnut finish which I like.....

Last edited by a moderator:
pugs

I only moved the 692 on because I used to be able to shoot very good dtl with high rib but now I cant, it was one of those rush of blood buys, saw it liked it bought it then with hindsight decided it was a bad decision. Didn't replace it I am now down to DT10eell trap and 687eell diamond pigeon for game, esp, skeet. Two guns all angles covered.

the 692 Imo is a good gun, wood was good heading up was good, triggers were good. I could not fault it quality wise.

Is definately swerve the 692 due to quality issues, have a play with the other two and see what you like!

if re sale value is a worry drop the CG but shouldn't be too much of a worry unless you plan on changing again soon!
Not so sure about that any more Ed. They have a reputation for after sales service in the UK and the used values are holding well now.

I'm with Nimbusgb ,I have had browning,beretta  ,now shoot a CG SUMMIT ASCENT 32in for last year and a half  and think it's a great gun was saving towards a perazzi but not picked one up that feels as good to shoot as mine ,so using money for lessons 

All the best with choice 

I know several who can't shift second hand ones at fair money, just not a good market for them.

Latest posts

Back