Windrush Saturday 16th 100Reg

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard59

Only a mile or so from Westfield, in my eyes a far more attractive ground, lovely views of rolling hills. Steve Lovatt is resurrecting (at long last) the Saturday reg shoots at this ground which if you can is well worth a visit. As a bonus (???) young Charlie is setting a few targets, probably end up being the harder ones!! 

Not been there yet, heard really good things about the ground. Hope the weather is as kind to us as Steve's targets? The shoot needs to be friendly to peoples abilities and current averages including weekend shooters that don't shoot all the time. Just thinking of the people who struggle at Steve's shoots me being one of them! ☺️?

Last edited by a moderator:
it will be just like everywhere else then ??? and what is the point of that ? we already have more than enough grounds catering for the mid to lower classes ? why cant we have a ground that caters for those who want to be ready for targets like the English this year ...you can and will ,never learn to shoot tougher targets by going to softer shoots, every time you shoot .......leave Windrush as it is ...brilliant  

Hi folks , 

richard just a point it was Harry that set the three stands not Charlie , but thanks for putting this up it is probably the best natural terrain around the shooting world , 

Peter I'm afraid if you get wrap up in this average crap you're on a hiding to nothing , we ran a shoot there a week or so ago which was really well recieved after the two year lay off when we were getting a very good Turnout , there is no eye sight tests , everything visible and shoot able , but you might have to shoot in front of a couple slightly more than you are used too .

shooting on Saturday starts at 11am see you then 

I think you just spelt it out Clynt, this is for the more experienced shooters like yourself and not for the mid to low average shooters or those who don't have so much experience.

I will be there, as I am at every shoot I can possibly get to learning as I go. I'm just thinking of the regular weekend shooter. If it's to tough they may not choose to come back. I guess there's a balance to be had there somewhere.

Looking forward to seeing Windrush. See you both on Saturday ☺️

This topic comes up regularly. I'm not sure that grounds have a responsibility to provide a more difficult element to their target presentations for the 'better shots'. They are there to make money. Nothing else is as important as this. With the right sort of mix of facilities, food, accessibility, target mix then the business will be successful as it appeals to the majority of shooters who will arrive in great numbers and so provide a good income for the organiser. If this formula is restricted or changed in some way then the shoot becomes less attractive to a certain part of the potential customer base and so numbers will suffer, as will profit margins. Putting on hard shoots for the 10% who are at the top of the averages is commercial suicide and should be avoided. Unless of course the organisers are happy with the prospect of a poorly attended shoot but look forward to the accolades of a small minority who had a lovely day shooting targets that the rest of us mere mortals can't hit.

I totally agree Ian , this is our main income and a hell of a lot of time and money has been invested into sporting shoots on our behalf , I make the targets a good balance for all ability of shooters , don't really worry what score wins but I'm more interested in the masses enjoying their chosen hobby . The beauty about Windrush is its natural terrain to produce good sporting clays and I know it's the lie of the land combined with gullies and valleys that make it What it is .

nowadays more than ever some folk tend to be more focuses on building an average ( which by the way I think means nothing ) than actually enjoying what they are doing , " an average is a bi product of shooting " it shouldn't be the other way around !!!!!!

I totally agree Ian , this is our main income and a hell of a lot of time and money has been invested into sporting shoots on our behalf , I make the targets a good balance for all ability of shooters , don't really worry what score wins but I'm more interested in the masses enjoying their chosen hobby . The beauty about Windrush is its natural terrain to produce good sporting clays and I know it's the lie of the land combined with gullies and valleys that make it What it is .
Fair comment Steve, but I find it much more enjoyable when I hit some, how many depends on your skilled course setting and my ability. Averages don't concern me but ultimately I can't deny the want to improve and the class system and averages are how this is measured. 

Looking forward to an enjoyable day Steve and thanks for all the thought work and effort you put into the sport which we all love! ?

I am no great shot but i get a greater sense of satisfaction when i hit the really big targets,that said i wouldn't want them all to be big and i am often beaten by close slow stuff.

I am happy with my score relative to how hard i think  it was you just need a good mix ;)

Averages remind me of the line "lies, damn lies and statistics" As for target setting, as other posters have pointed out if a ground gets it wrong revenue will collapse, Steve Lovatts not looking like a struggling ground owner

I'll leave a critique of the course to others far more skilled than I, shot this today with Stew Keen, Ivan Reid (Teauge Chokes main man) and Nigel Durn, odd blowy breeze otherwise a good summers day, we all had our moments of brilliance, Ivan more than the rest of us, enjoyed it, hope it's a regular Saturday reg shoot and would defo return.

I enjoyed the course Rich, good to bump into you guys on the way around. 'Twas a bit windy, which made for some random targets on some stands'. My score wasn't good but I blame the loan gun (partly me) enjoyed and will be back! ☺️?

Latest posts

Back