MK38 Grade 5 v MX2000 S

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcock

I am considering purchasing a new shotgun for shooting sporting and have decided on either a new Miroku or Perazzi. Having shot the MK38 Sporter and Trap my preference would be for the latter, especially with 32" fixed choke barrels. I think that the Miroku is absolutely excellent value for the money. The only criticism I have of the Miroku is that the trigger pull leaves a lot to be desired but I am sure that a competent gunsmith could improve this. I also like the MX2000 S. It has the look and feel of a quality shotgun. The trigger pulls are excellent, light and crisp. What I am struggling to get my head round is the price difference between the two guns. Both guns appear to be well engineered and built too last. Is the Perazzi MX2000 S so much better than the Miroku as to justify it's price tag, three and a bit times more than the cost of a new MK38 Grade 5 Trap gun? Before I make my decision I would like to know, preferably from Perazzi owners, if the additional expense of the Perazzi has been a worthwhile investment.

Define 'investment'?

Is a BMW 5 series a better a car than a Ford Mondeo ? Both have all the constituent parts to make a fine quality car but one is just a bit better quality.

If you aspire to own a BMW then you will be able to reconcile the added cost, even if you can't actually justify why it is sooo much more expensive.

Alternatively you could decide on the Ford as it does everything the BMW can but costs less. However, every time you see a BMW you will think 'Hmmmm....did I do the right thing'?

My advice would be to drive them both and see which one you can see yourself owning.

You pays your money and makes your choice.

DT

or stuff it and buy a Beretta job done. :)

Have done the Browning, Miroku, Perazzi and back to Miroku thing. It just cost me a lot of cash to determine which gun 'SUITED ME' the best !. Now I know, but hey, it is only money, have fun in making your mind up.

I have the MK38 and LOVE it, wouldn't change it for the world, I've had it fitted for me and it works, on the other hand, the hubby has the Perazzi which he loves!!  I think the main thing is the fitting, if it feels "right" when you pick it up and shoot it then the confidence is there.  If we were all to pick up guns and shoot them without knowing what they actually were we would probably be surprised.  What suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another.  My hubby loved his BMW when he had it and I wasn't too bothered about it, I on the other hand love my civic and wouldn't change it for a Porche (couldn't get the guns/dog/fishing rods in it)  It's all down to what feels right for you.  Shoot both and see how they feel.  Good luck anyway ?

One of my customers has just taken delivery of a rather expensive perazzi new from the factory, shot 250 shells and has had to send it back due to some pretty scary trigger problems.

id go miroku!

I have done the gun thing and the car thing now I just buy a car that fits. Citroen berlingo multispace with rear seats removed. Acres of space for guns and dogs 120bhp 50+mpg fully loaded and all for less than 17k brand new.... I suppose its the car version of a miroku. :)

What do you want from the gun ....... to hit targets or really look good,and say  that looks expensive or that does the business ! 

To be honest I am not particularly interested in spending a lot more money simply to sport the Perazzi badge.

l have shot both the Perazzi and Miroku and find it difficult to decide which one I would prefer to shoot long term. This was why I have asked the question regarding the price differential. Is the Perazzi three times better than the Miroku?

To be honest I am not particularly interested in spending a lot more money simply to sport the Perazzi badge.

l have shot both the Perazzi and Miroku and find it difficult to decide which one I would prefer to shoot long term. This was why I have asked the question regarding the price differential. Is the Perazzi three times better than the Miroku?

NO

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't crow too loudly Ed - these K guns are not infallible. Much as I like them they are susceptible to faults the same as other top quality guns.

You do get to the price point in the gun world where spending more gets you nothing more! Miroku be it grade 1 and 5 in point, petty much the same gun just nicer looking. You tend to pay more for options which means someone has to work on the gun be it engraving or personal stock dimensions. If the MK fits you and you like it get one, they are great guns...Problem we all have is that we don't always do the rational thing....if we like something we are willing to spend more for no good reason. No one will really take much notice what you shoot. I find it a little strange to see very average shooters with pricy guns and cartridges who, due to poor technique, will never get better...better the money spent on lessons with Mr. Solomon!

Not quite what your asking, but very similar (MX12 plain black) Not one for flashy engraving etc. The Perazzi was not an instant 'i can shoot that well' moment, as it did not fit that well. This has now been sorted and i now shoot it just a bit better than my Browning/Miroku's. They are totally different guns to use. Trigger pulls are the really crisp on the 'P' unlike the Mirook which is typical of its type - not good, not bad, but can be improved if needed.

I don't really have a bad word against either one. Get the one that suits you.

As a note - For the price of a new GD5 Mirook i would look for a good second hand Perazzi

Miroku be it grade 1 and 5 in point, petty much the same gun just nicer looking...
No, I'd have to slightly disagree with you there...Grd 1's and Grd 5's balance, feel and handle differently due to the heavier/denser wood on the Grd 5!!! Forget the engaging side, that IS looks your paying for, but upgrading the stock does make a difference to how the gun shoots!!! 

I have an Mk38 Grade 5 Trap, and it is utterly dependable, shoots where I look (its adjustable), never breaks, is steady in the hands, it is balanced, and with Teague chokes I can adapt to any target.  It also great in the hands and I love it.  I'll never part with it either.

Yet here I am still wanting a Perazzi.  They are lovely guns to shoot, but my advice would be to always shoot them first to see what they are like.  The perazzi will no doubt feel a bit livlier, but due to the varying stock dimensions, it may or may not kick like a mule.  I had one and it battered me so much I had to sell it.  On the other hand, for the price of a new one, you can go to the factory and get one made to measure....Job Done.  Its worth mentioning John Jeffries guns here.  I recently shot one of his guns and it had no recoil at all the the triggers were just simply awesome.  Really very good and John Jeffries is just a really top guy to work with.

With the comparison above,  the ford and the BMW (though the comparison for me would be Toyota and BMW due to the build quality of the Mk38) buy what you like and want to shoot with.  Both are highly respected tools for the job.

And regarding triggers, mine has been to a gunsmith and the Mk38 triggers are now as good as any perazzi. 3.8lbs and snap like a carrot!  ;-)

This question yet again... go with what you shoot the best it is that simple. If you have to ask about the cost of the Perazzi ... don't go there! Again it is that simple.

Considering that I don't own one anymore I'm firmly in team Miroku! I regret selling my MK10 although I now have a Browning  725 pro trap in my collection which feels like my old MK. Perazzi owners I know tend to spend a lot of time replacing springs at £40 a pop! Which I would consider to be a design flaw!

Considering that I don't own one anymore I'm firmly in team Miroku! I regret selling my MK10 although I now have a Browning  725 pro trap in my collection which feels like my old MK. Perazzi owners I know tend to spend a lot of time replacing springs at £40 a pop! Which I would consider to be a design flaw!
Really??  Not an issue with the P gun I own or for other users I know.

If your going to compare.. I would suggest as a sweeping statement that   P gun goes through Springs at the same rate as MIrouku/Brownings go through Firing pins snd Beretta go through stub pins. 

Latest posts

Back