692, 692xtrap, 692trap

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foldAA

Hey all,

maybe someone will know....

Beretta listing offers 692 model in 3 (not incluing skeet) models,

692 (sporting), 692xtrap and 692 trap.

Beside differences that are mentioned like chokes/barrels and rib is there major difference in Point of impact? Barrel "adjustment" or whatever its called?

I read somewhere that Trap guns shot high etc. Can some confirm this for beretta 692 range?

all the best
J

In reality trap guns only shoot high if the shooter makes it shoot high... a trap gun does usually give you a very good sight of the target while you shoot it though... so no I don't think that a trap gun will shoot high it is down to the operator.

so the barrell ballistics or default point of impact is the same for all three?

so the barrell ballistics or default point of impact is the same for all three?
Not what I said.

edit

eg. my gun may or may not shoot high for one of the better shooters at my club... within two or three targets  I would bet he would not be shooting over the top of the target

Last edited by a moderator:
~... so no I don't think that a trap gun will shoot high it is down to the operator.
...im confused now.

I would like to know if we put sporter 692 next to trap version of 692 the point of impact will be different for each of them?

...im confused now.

I would like to know if we put sporter 692 next to trap version of 692 the point of impact will be different for each of them?
Really got to say sorry but it depends on who is shooting the gun and their own approach to shooting clay targets. Normally when shooting you look at the target and if your gun is a good fit it is pointing where you are looking...

edit

not too many replies... there is a reason for that :wink:

now i understand (i think i do)

So, the whole saying of "trap guns tend to shoot hight" is false?

I think that the real difference is in weight fixed or multichoke and woodwork thats fitted.

Don't know about 692s.

The DT10s trap barrels are marked at 18.4 and fixed choke and sporters 18.6 and optima choked so backbored compared to the trap. 

Barrels seem to have more weight than the sporter. 

If there's a difference in POI I've not seen it in practice.. 

now i understand (i think i do)

So, the whole saying of "trap guns tend to shoot hight" is false?
It is a bit pedantic but I myself think that guns shoot where they are pointed and to my way of thinking if the gun fits and the shooter is looking at the target then he should hit the target all the other things being correct.

The way the gun fits the shooter determines whether the gun shoots high or whatever.  By changing the height of the comb, or some other relevant factor, the gun can be made to shoot however the operator wishes.  Trap guns may be generally FITTED to shoot high but not all trap shooters actually care for that particular situation.  You need to get someone who understands how that all works, or get a decent book - I recommend Yardley, and learn about it.  More complicated than is easy to do in this format.

maybe not JMO but best'a luck

I know gun fit will change percived point of impact, what i wanted to know is if we point a

692 sporter and trap verision in the same manner at the same target  will point of impact be the same for both?

Or will the trap version shoot higher? (what some opinions say will take place)

Thanks for all input tho

some trap gun ribs taper down to the muzzle hence a higher point of impact even if pointed in same direction as comparable sporter. Pitch is TOTALLY different on a trap gun as is angle of comb drop. Many small things add up to a big difference. In answer to your question Imo no it will not. Furthermore if these small differences made no difference we would all be shooting AYA no 1s

ps

mutley is one of a few on here experienced with gunfit and the finer technical points so he should be able to add anything further.

Having shot the sporter, Skeet and trap models, I found the POI slightly higher on the latter. I can only imagine the POI on the XTrap would be significantly higher given the high rib bit willing to be proven wrong by someone who has actually shot one!

Perazzi owners I know tend to spend a lot of time replacing springs at £40 a pop!

That old chestnut again! Two and a half years back I bought a second hand Perazzi two years later a spring broke... I have no idea how old that spring was or how many shots had been fired but one spring in two years ... you can clearly see that I don't spend much time changing springs at for me $78 per pair and guaranteed for a year ... Think about it... if only they broke every year I would never need to buy another set!

Having shot the sporter, Skeet and trap models, I found the POI slightly higher on the latter. I can only imagine the POI on the XTrap would be significantly higher given the high rib bit willing to be proven wrong by someone who has actually shot one!
o! something i would expect but wanted to make sure :)

Hopefully the differences arent huge and my to-be sporter will perform well imitating xtrap :p

As those before have stated the comb, rib and how you mount the gun could all be potential factors. When I had the adj comb set up on my 692 Skeet at the shop I subsequently realised that my sporter comb had been too low. So I changed it to a trap stock which made improvements and now I've just bought a trap gun (different brand) for sporting use. However everyone is different! Hope it works out for you!

have owned and shot one. The poi can be very high or very flat due to ridiculous amount of adjustment available on every area of the stupid thing. A fiddlers delight

at this point I have to admit that the love afair with the x was about as short lived as that with the first Mrs nutcase. Both I should never have had, both I was glad to get shut of, both cost me lots of money to rid of but I feel both decisions to get shut regardles of cost to be justified.

:)

im getting sporting ver. as xtrap is ~5months away ...

sporting = less adjustment = more repeatability in POI

Latest posts

Back