That's the way to DTL it

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehb102

I had a DTL lesson and I am signed up to shoot a registered at the weekend. I have managed to shoot 125 DTL birds since the lesson, so I am feeling under prepared. Does anyone have any advice they would like to share that could help my DTL career get off to a good start? It's actually the County championship so I will probably come literally last. 

I had a DTL lesson and I am signed up to shoot a registered at the weekend. I have managed to shoot 125 DTL birds since the lesson, so I am feeling under prepared. Does anyone have any advice they would like to share that could help my DTL career get off to a good start? It's actually the County championship so I will probably come literally last. 
I can't help as I only do it for fun and to relax but etiquette wise, hold on to your spent cartridges and put them in the bin after the guy/girl to your right has shot.  Best of luck and enjoy.

Sorry, never shot it so unable to really help......

But telling yourself you will "probably come last" is a big "NO" in my book.

I see a lot of this on the forum and have never understood it.

A sporting shooter myself, I entered the County UT for the first time back in the Spring. Geared myself up, watched others and focused..........put in an 84. I wanted and knew I could do well.

Come on Liz.........you can do it! :clover:

1st - don't worry and don't care what place you will take - it doesn't matter - nobody cares.

2nd - take care of your foot position, stance, gun holdpoints, visual holdpoints and focus.

3rd - "Go smoke'em!" - One by one - there is only one bird ahead of you!

4th - Relax and enjoy - and again - don't worry - let the chips fall...don't be too hard on yourself.

5th - Only check the score after the competition! If you don't like it and want to improve - take more practice till next time.

Sorry, never shot it so unable to really help......

But telling yourself you will "probably come last" is a big "NO" in my book.

I see a lot of this on the forum and have never understood it.
I think it depends on what motivates you. My motivation  is to do the best I can. Where you come in the scores is simply a reflection of who else was there on that day. I would be pretty arrogant if I assumed I would score highly enough to place first. It's DTL, anything less than almost perfect screams beginner. Unless there are other beginners there on the day I would be foolish not to expect to come last. 

I might aim for second or third in class depending on how many other ladies turn up :) 

Not putting pressure on yourself is good advice with any discipline but I remember being in a very similar position to yourself a year or two after taking up the sport which makes it 84-85 and we had a club DTL comp which had a dandy looking trophy you kept for a year. There were several good shots around and I turned up with my 28" Laurona field gun with two triggers  :D  expecting absolutely nothing other than coming in the top 5 or 10, just kept my head down and shot without caring about misses and as you might have guessed ended up winning.  :lol:

DTL is about zoning in and out of consciousness and maintaining the flow without thinking too much - I think.

all good advice above. On a technical note don't rush the shot (don't hang on it though) wait until the initial blur becomes a full object and shoot the thing, keep your gun moving through the target after you pull the trigger. Dtl targets can be deceptive and you can fall into the trap of complacency and stop the gun as the shot is taken. Cut out any variables at this stage and hold your front bead central and just above front trap lip, don't play about with hold points at the moment it will not help you.

have a great shoot and please report back, I bet you do much better than you expect as although your attitude appears quite negative regarding dtl expectations you have no pressure so stay relaxed and calm keep the gun moving nice and smooth

Just go & enjoy it  ;)

Dont underestimate yourself, just enjoy the experience.

My first ever regd DTL shoot was the Lincolnshire county championships 2 years ago at Beverly CTC - I joined the CPSA, went along & enjoyed it. I was classified on the day in AA, I won my class & a place on the Lincolnshire team. My score was a paltry 279 ! The other AA county shooters who turned up all had bad days.

I now shoot DTL almost every weekend, have made the Linc's DTL & ABT team for the past 2 years but most importantly I learn something new almost everytime I go, whether it's practice or a comp  ;) ;)

Did it!

204 ex 300. I missed a few, second barrelled a few more, but did reasonably well. It was a learning experience that is for sure. No one told me about clearing your barrel or calling for a bird as I was on 1 so that was a surprise.

I was starting to know when I was going to miss almost before I fired, but I was too nervous about spoiling the squad rhythm to pull back on those times so I probably threw a fair few away through rushing. 

I'm happy enough. I wanted to get 200+ so that was okay. And my amazing orange clay targeting filters from Ed Lyons stood me in good stead. 

well done ehb, and folk say DTL is easy peasy :)

I was starting to know when I was going to miss almost before I fired, but I was too nervous about spoiling the squad rhythm to pull back on those times so I probably threw a fair few away through rushing.
That is a BAD thing to do.  They are YOUR targets, YOU paid for them.  It is YOUR score at the end not the squads.  Shoot YOUR targets in YOUR own way in YOUR own time.  If the squad don't like it they can just FOAD.

As Wonko said do it in your own way and in your own time......I am sure the squad will adapt to the way you are shooting the line :smile:

yes what balltrap is trying to say in his uncharacteristicly diplomatic way is what we oop north refer to as "fook em" they will have to wait. :)

yes what balltrap is trying to say in his uncharacteristicly diplomatic way is what we oop north refer to as "fook em" they will have to wait. :)
Maybe uncharacter like but ehb102 seems like a nice girl or why else would she bother what others think when he is shooting, if she was not, she would not give a fook !. So she had a nice comment, see i can be nice at times :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back