Good way to pracice - Feedback !

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanco

Hi.

I was wondering if this would be a good idea? OR NOT !!

As per previous posts I am very new/green... Done two registered DTL shoots and shot low 80’s first time then mid 80’s the second from 100 with many second barrel hits.

I think it’s obvious that I need practice….. My question is how to practice. I am thinking of going to the ground at a time when I know it will be empty.

Standing on say peg 3 and just get the hang of my method………… and try to put into practice what my tutor has told me.

My head is telling me for now to remove all the variance of the other stands and get to the point of shooting from a peg/stand consistently…. Find my rhythm so to speak.

Do you think that this method of practice for a beginner is advisable or will it bring problems further on?

I was thinking about standing on peg 3 and just doing 25 clays……….. Until I have consistency then and only then move on…..

In a way I am suggesting breaking this down into bite size chunks.

What ya think??

Chanco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its a good idea it will as you say get consistency in your mount and routine. Others may disagree but I say yep ?

I like to practice on my own but a word caution take plenty time between shots do not bound along or it will be detrimental.

There is a valid school of thought that argues getting to grips with easier targets will stand you in good stead as you progress so there can't be any harm in doing what you say but it kinda sounds to me as though you just need to shoot a helluva lot more. If DTL is your chosen discipline then just shoot as much of it as you can afford time and money wise, it'll all fall into place.

hamster has a point and I do not disagree but from your posts I read it that you are not yet settled fully into a pre shot routine. This is absolutely essential in DTL in order to avoid unforced errors occuring. You need a very simple replicable routine and mount and Imo the "cadence" of this routine will ultimately drive the shot. In other words a nice smooth relaxed routine = nice smooth shot. A rushed aggresive panicky routine = you guessed it.

therefore it is my opinion that if you want to "train" so this routine is engrained then your plan is a good one.

one further point to consider when finalising your routine if it doesn't need to be there do not do it. For instance if you make lets say a twitch of the finger on the forend for instance, one day you will mount and wonder just before calling for the target if you did or didn't do it and invariably you will miss. Keep it simple in fact keep it very very simple ?

Cheers Lads..... My plan is to shoot from stand 3.... 100 targets....

I have a plan and I am going to stick to it.........

Chanco.

sticking to a plan is always best idea ;)

good luck, take your time and have at least ten mins between lines and learn something from each round of 25. ?

Just a thought I try to use (clay or game): "When loading the gun and shoulder it to fire - always know exactly what is intended to be achieved BEFORE pulling the trigger!"

The only problem I have with practicing in this fashion is that if you are missing targets and particularly if it is a certain presentation you are consistently missing you need some one there to tell you where and why you are missing, it is no good guessing if you know what I mean. I think it is better in fact to practice with experienced shooters who are willing to set you right when you are missing, it can be difficult to get that type of advice though from my experience but some shooters are willing to let you know what you are doing wrong. However you have a plan so if after the first try you are having a difficult target you can always ask about it the next time out with a squad.

fair point but its not difficult to ascertain were or even why you missed a dtl target as the target itself is not especially difficult. Bad technique is why dtl targets are missed imho

fair point but its not difficult to ascertain were or even why you missed a dtl target as the target itself is not especially difficult. Bad technique is why dtl targets are missed imho
To be honest Ian I have never even seen a DTL target I just assumed that like other disciplines you can get a type of target that is your bogie and there is a reason why. For example the dead straight low OT target that if missed is nearly always over the top because you did not attack the target and it is falling away before you get your shot away. I watched a guy miss quite a few like that last weekend he did not know where or why he way missing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason anyone has bogey target in trap is because they remember it,i couldn't tell you where a target went that i missed even if it was only one,but i can tell you why i missed it and 99% of the time its because something got in my head.

Having said that when i started doing trap missing was mainly down to hold points wrong and moving my eyes at the same time as the gun instead of eyes first then gun.

hamster has a point and I do not disagree but from your posts I read it that you are not yet settled fully into a pre shot routine. This is absolutely essential in DTL in order to avoid unforced errors occuring. You need a very simple replicable routine and mount and Imo the "cadence" of this routine will ultimately drive the shot. In other words a nice smooth relaxed routine = nice smooth shot. A rushed aggresive panicky routine = you guessed it.

therefore it is my opinion that if you want to "train" so this routine is engrained then your plan is a good one.

one further point to consider when finalising your routine if it doesn't need to be there do not do it. For instance if you make lets say a twitch of the finger on the forend for instance, one day you will mount and wonder just before calling for the target if you did or didn't do it and invariably you will miss. Keep it simple in fact keep it very very simple ?
The routine is necessary up to a point but it is way too easy to get in the habit of it being TIME to shoot rather than when you are READY to shoot.  So it is not 1, 2, 3, shoot but 1, 2, 3, ready, shoot.  For me ready means a stillness that I really can't explain but I suspect is common to others.

totally agree Charlie, only call for target when your ready. I was not meening it the way you read it but its better to clarify it.

cheers

Hi.

As I said I went for some DTL practice Saturday, I was going to stand on peg 3 and just try to find my routine….

That’s what I did but only for 25 targets as others also wanted to “jump on”. However during that first set of 25 I had kept to my plan. Part of my plan was to hold a little lower – almost on top of the trap house.

I have been given differing advice to hold higher but I also kept reading “find the way that works for you”…… So I gave it a go. I had a very simple routine and a lower gun hold, also I was just off to the right. I have to say I felt immediately better and scored well.

As the others wanted to join in I had to go back to normal DTL and shoot a round, however I had hit on my routine and was very pleased…. Still not done 25/25 but I am now hitting 23 or 24 from 25 with only a few second barrels… So for me it is a lower gun hold….

More practice needed but with the same method in mind… I have even made notes!!!

Chanco.

good for you chanco sounds like a productive day. If your hitting 20+ then your not far off, it will click into place. There is a lot to be said about always shooting off the lid, no variables. I suggest you stick with that.

thanks for the update ?

ps

I coached a new shooter on sat, he asked for advice do I gave it. He had shot dtl about four times and had only got his own gun three weeks ago. He was hitting 22-23s but after taking my advice came off with a 25-75 he was over the moon and i have to admit I was feeling the nerves myself on the last ten ?

he just needed a couple of things tweeking. Had good natural ability and a willingness to not only listen but to do it. Also gave his mate some help, he too had natural ability incl a very consistent and smooth technique it just needed harnessing.

oh and for the record I made no attempt to critique they both asked for input :)

Latest posts

Back