Help With Concentration Technique

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chanco

Hello.

Very new to all this……. I did my first registered DTL shoot last week, hit 85 from 100 so I have a long way to go. That said I enjoyed it.

I am after a little help in learning how to concentrate!! Anyone have a tips on what to focus on?

Any links to articles or ideas would help as between shots my mind is simply not on the job.

Chanco.

Last edited by a moderator:
search in trap section for DTL there is good info on many threads.

its a personal thing really and in my case I allow my mind to wander as I know full well that it will so I give it permission to. But as soon as the shooter to my left starts his pre shot routine I tell my mind to stop dicking about and get to the job in hand. A trigger word at some point will help also this can be anything as long as its positive such as"target" or "nice and calm" do not use a trigger word such as "don't miss" as this is negative.

It seems that in recent times the general realization that focusing on process and not outcome is a productive approach.

OK thanks... I will give it a go in the morning. I need to stop thinking about the negative... Not easy as the new lad/beginner when everyone else hits 99 or 100..

chanco...

OK thanks... I will give it a go in the morning. I need to stop thinking about the negative... Not easy as the new lad/beginner when everyone else hits 99 or 100..

chanco...
Avoid looking at what everyone is shooting and concentrate on your own score. Try and develop a routine that involves the closure of your gun, gun mount, hold position. I always tried to avoid looking at the traphouse between shots, this can lead to watching how the rest of the squad is going on, or WORSE,  trying to guess the trap sequence for your next shot. It should come as a suprise when the Ref calls "Thank you, unload and check your scores" !

Avoid looking at what everyone is shooting and concentrate on your own score. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!   Try and develop a routine that involves the closure of your gun, gun mount, hold position.YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! I always tried to avoid looking at the traphouse between shots, this can lead to watching how the rest of the squad is going on, or WORSE,  trying to guess the trap sequence for your next shot. It should come as a suprise when the Ref calls "Thank you, unload and check your scores" !

YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES    meant it to read "Your own SHOOTING"  NOT score. YYYYYYYIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !

First of – congratulation on starting registered shoots!

Now – up to my wits…

1. Get a coach.

2. Shooting is a lone wolf affair.

While there is nobody standing on your way (beside yourself), there is really nobody helping you out once you are in a stand and the only way is through yourself.

So learn to listen to yourself and beware of who and when you are asking for help…there is nobody actually interested in your problems because they are all chasing their own devils at the time.

At the end it all boils down to control yourself – so try to be aware of anything that is going on – especially when you are doing well and WRITE IT DOWN right after the shoot or at least the very same day – you will forget it believe me and you will have to start it all over again. It all boils down to be able to repeat things that makes you shoot best at any given time.

3. Anytime your wheels fall off – slow down…if you can.

A registered event is just a series of single target competitions. So your focus of attention must be on the target you are actually shooting at.  Those that have already been are history, whether hit or missed. Anything else is in the future. You need to live in the here and now, so don't try and calculate what your final score might be. Once your conscious mind starts counting it's a surefire way to get on the road to more missed targets and frustration.   

what Phil said but its not an easy task and if you find a way let me know ?

Once your conscious mind starts counting it's a surefire way to get on the road to more missed targets and frustration.   
Amen to that! Been guilty of this soooo many times its annoying. The minute I start to work out what I could score (either that round or overall score) is the point I miss the next target :(   Can almost predict it I'm getting so good at it :mad:

DT

Yes Phil I have done that, half way through I start doing the maths.............. Stupid I know !!!

I was pleased with my score at the weekend but I had a load of second barrels, a chap that was watching said to me that he thought I was "going over the top" on the first barrel.

Not sure what to do about that at this stage (presuming he is correct that is)

Perhaps its time to have a specific DTL lesson?

Chanco

A registered event is just a series of single target competitions. So your focus of attention must be on the target you are actually shooting at.
Spot on + learn to manage the focus during the round - you can't keep it up all the time - look at it like a box of 25 matches/round and learn to ignite every single match before the target is called and then (once the shot is completed) let it die and try to keep your mind occupied with something out of shoot...move and breathe sloooow and if you feel nervous - yawn. Follow your pre shot routine and if anything (even tiniest thing - like butterfly or a talk in the background) sneaks in between you and clay, abort the routine and start all over - don't be fooled and presume it is alright and you will manage somehow and despite call for the target - you will miss.

Now, even if guy that told you are going over the top was right...it may be technique related (stance, gun hold points, visual holds, triggering...) and should be dealt with during training session...or it might be focus related - in this case he already got your focus - away from the target...on registered shoot...not good. Don't listen to remarks like this on registered shoots - save them for training session and for someone who doesn't think but knows and can be trusted.

Good stuff, thank you.

I have booked a training session/practice with the chap that gave me lessons in the very beginning.

Cheers

Chanco.

Amen to that! Been guilty of this soooo many times its annoying. The minute I start to work out what I could score (either that round or overall score) is the point I miss the next target :(   Can almost predict it I'm getting so good at it :mad:

DT
It's always so satisfying to be good at something!

Latest posts

Back