Silly mistakes

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke725

hi 

just looking for some advice to overcome a problem im having

When out such as orston ,kegworth ,

ill walk up to a stand workout my lead and hold points  al step in the cage first pairhit ' hit 2nd pair 'hit first on 3rd lose second bird ' 4th pair miss. First hit the second .

on most stands i do this as anyone had the same problem and how did you solve this ( i know its a hard question to anwser ) 

on some shoots its cost me a placing  which is fustrating .

and some times al be doing alright in the back of my mind i no am around 13 down but keep plugging away then ill get to a stand and for no reason ( no harder than previous birds ) hit first pair and then al drop 4, or 5 of them get off the stand and think what an idiot plus freinds suprised and saying what went of there then an i cant anwser them .does this happen to any of your aswell and how do your go about this overcoming this one 

sorry for boring your with daft questions 

luke

hi 

just looking for some advice to overcome a problem im having

When out such as orston ,kegworth ,

ill walk up to a stand workout my lead and hold points  al step in the cage first pairhit ' hit 2nd pair 'hit first on 3rd lose second bird ' 4th pair miss. First hit the second .

on most stands i do this as anyone had the same problem and how did you solve this ( i know its a hard question to anwser ) 

on some shoots its cost me a placing  which is fustrating .

and some times al be doing alright in the back of my mind i no am around 13 down but keep plugging away then ill get to a stand and for no reason ( no harder than previous birds ) hit first pair and then al drop 4, or 5 of them get off the stand and think what an idiot plus freinds suprised and saying what went of there then an i cant anwser them .does this happen to any of your aswell and how do your go about this overcoming this one 

sorry for boring your with daft questions 

luke
Could be so many reasons but I think having in the back of your mind how many you are down will not be helping you.  Are you approaching each pair in the same way, subtle differences can make a big difference.  Do you get too comfortable having hit the first two pairs thinking this is easy.  So many things.......

I do the same, for numerous reasons:

- hit several pairs, think 'oh I bet I can take that earlier / later / on the drop' (delete as appropriate) change my hold point / kill point / gun speed (delete as appropriate) and then miss.  

- get to the last pair without and think 'oh you're on for straighting this stand, better make sure of this pair' and either slow up / hang on too long / speed up / try to take it too early (delete as appropriate) and then miss.

- randomly change my hold point and miss a pair.

- overlead a sitter, miss it, swear, distract myself and miss the following one as well.

- hesitate on pulling the trigger, flinch as a result and miss

I could go on for pages.  I generally know why I f**k up, it's stopping myself doing it that's the problem.  If you find a sure fire way to stop it, let me know.

Could be so many reasons but I think having in the back of your mind how many you are down will not be helping you.  Are you approaching each pair in the same way, subtle differences can make a big difference.  Do you get too comfortable having hit the first two pairs thinking this is easy.  So many things.......
hi sian 

thanks for your input maybe its with getting to comfy thats probaley why when i miss one i hit it next time round which takes my concentration of the other bird ..

I do the same, for numerous reasons:

- hit several pairs, think 'oh I bet I can take that earlier / later / on the drop' (delete as appropriate) change my hold point / kill point / gun speed (delete as appropriate) and then miss.  

- get to the last pair without and think 'oh you're on for straighting this stand, better make sure of this pair' and either slow up / hang on too long / speed up / try to take it too early (delete as appropriate) and then miss.

- randomly change my hold point and miss a pair.

- overlead a sitter, miss it, swear, distract myself and miss the following one as well.

- hesitate on pulling the trigger, flinch as a result and miss

I could go on for pages.  I generally know why I f**k up, it's stopping myself doing it that's the problem.  If you find a sure fire way to stop it, let me know.
?? will do

If the sight picture looks the same, then it's very likely a change in gun speed (which alters the lead without you perceiving it). Usually, people can slow down on later pairs, as they try hard to replicate what they did initially. Now you are doing two jobs; shooting and copying, which makes you slow up.

Usual caveat of how I would need to see you to actually know..

Last edited by a moderator:
being consistent  on the next few pairs after you have killed the first pair ,  its a mystery to me hence my scores ,   over trying , not relaxed , too relaxed  ?   doubt creeping in gun , choke , shell ?      our numbers game over 100 aint easy ,   I never count up while shooting   ( would not remember  anyway )   so many variables  !!    

Bang bang, hit hit

Bang Bang hit hit

Great, I've got this sorted today!

Bang miss! Damn what did I do wrong, Bang missed that one too.

Bugger 2 down, Bang, miss, bang miss. 

ahhhhhhh 4 down. damn, damn, damn

Bang, hit! Must have been a fluke, I can't shoot today. Bang miss.

off to next stand. overleading? underleading? stopping gun. Oh look a pheasant. I smell bacon. What's for dinner?

This bloody game plays with your head something chronic! 

:)   :)

Simple answer is you are talking to yourself in your head. The only time you should do that mid stand is when you miss and you need to work out why! Anything that interferes with the task you are concentrating on can cause you to then miss, mentally saying, I will straight this stand now, halfway through will more often then not cause you to miss. It's the war of your subconscious and conscious minds!!

So you have killed the first two pairs and your saying to yourself right i have got these i am in the money  and then you start trying to hard and start measuring 

This is quite common we have all done it , do not think about anything else except the next pair you are going to shoot and  remember to focus 

It's called trying not to miss 
all the above is good advice and correct but if you want to keep the reason simple and succint then Gavin has summed it up very nicely in one short sentence, trying not to miss is all you need to know. Nice one Gavin.

"Trying too hard" needs defining IMO. Actually being anxious, revved up or tense during the shot usually won't help. But you do need to try hard in an overall sense, to set up properly for the shot (correct foot position, muzzle position, mental note of where target appears etc) and to tune your mind to the right state before you call pull. 

"Trying too hard" needs defining IMO. Actually being anxious, revved up or tense during the shot usually won't help. But you do need to try hard in an overall sense, to set up properly for the shot (correct foot position, muzzle position, mental note of where target appears etc) and to tune your mind to the right state before you call pull. 
I agree, one of the easiest ways to spot application flaws (even in some very good shots) is the way they treat "stand time" almost as a curse, just load and shoot in quick succession to get it over with as it were. I reckon if you could just make some people slow the hell down to give themselves a chance :ph34r:  a good many will pick up at least 5 birds a round.

This tip was brought to you from a life times worth of watching and partaking in misses.

The key, and this is what some people call being in the zone, is to focus sub consciously on shooting the target, ALL your focus is on that, you don't hear any distractions, you are not conscious about loading the gun or calling pull, achieve this and you will come away thinking that shooting is easy, it will feel easy.

Of course different people will adopt different techniques and the trick is finding the one that works for you. I bet you ahem all been behind someone who has a long reshot routine, deep breathing, lining the cartridge name up, adjusting their glasses, shuffling their feet, practicing the pickup, mount and swing, then calling pull and miss!! Time in the stand is a personal thing and if you are shooting really quickly you probably need to take a few seconds and slow down a bit, shooting really quickly can be a sign of things starting to go wrong and equally having a lengthy pre shot routine can lead you to shoot badly, probably towards to the end of the shoot due to mental fatigue of trying to hard in each stand - consciously!

Of course you could try not thinking about it to this level and just getting on and enjoying yourself when you go shooting, it is after all YOUR hobby :)

Back