shot size

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Double edged question this one so here goes hold on tight....

if you had fixed 1/4 1/2 and could only use one size shot for esp what size would it be

if you had same as above but considered that carrying two different shot size would be beneficial what would they be

(Ps a conservative 6 at a guess ?)

7.5.  I've been told repeatedly that until you are consistently hitting 80%+ then there is no point fiddling with choke or shot size.  Focus on learning to read the wide range of targets and the best techniques for hitting them.  Thinking about whether you've got the right shot size will just distract you at this stage.

IPS, I only use 8's. I'm not the best shot in the world, but I am decent on the long targets that do test cartridge ability. Different shot sizes and choke options are there only to give people excuses.. Keep it simple, get out there and practice your botty off.

bebo - will

yes absolutely agree re fiddling with choke etc which is why I only have fixed choke. My stash of f black is diminishing and I just wanted opinion as to the best "compromise" shot size so I can forget about it and get on with the job.

okey done, simples enough. Superfast it is then.

I personally find Superfarts a bit punchy in the shoulder, but that may just be me.

I thought they were soft, spose it depends what your comparing too

I know one thing at my stage of sporting it ain't worth buying expensive ?

I find the fibres horrible, but the plas are good. 
I think it was fibres that I tried, so that may explain why I didn't like them when others rave about them.  I like Express Power Red in fibre, they're quick but don't give me any recoil problems.  Very loud though.

ps

I like the orange box, so will buy a thousand purely on that basis alone ?

The only reason I don't use the cheapest 7.5s available locally is that they seem particularly dirty and as I'm the one that gets lumbered cleaning both mine and the OHs gun I'd rather avoid them.  Power Reds or Blues in plastic around here come in at about £163 per thousand and about a tenner more for fibre.  Fairly cheap and seem to be reliable.

have shot power blu they were ok but I found superdooperfast marginally better (only talking box colour here of course) ?

ps

I love it when that orange banner pops up on my topic and reminds me I am hot ?

Double edged question this one so here goes hold on tight....

if you had fixed 1/4 1/2 and could only use one size shot for esp what size would it be

if you had same as above but considered that carrying two different shot size would be beneficial what would they be

(Ps a conservative 6 at a guess ?)
AJ Smith used to reckon 8's for everything. I once shot ball trap with him, he used Winchester Winner 8's I think, so as they were made in Italy back then, I guess they were English 7.5's. And yes........he did beat me!

IPS,

9s will break close targets, 8s will break medium targets, 71/2s will break all targets.

I really do think we attach far too much importance to cartridge brands  and how dirty they are.

I think that there really are no bad cartridges on the market (apart from quality build issues) performance all seem to be in the ballpark.

I do have to say that I find Italian cartridges absolutely brilliant , RC, Clever, Cheddite, Nobel .

Perhaps all of you Northerners should consider Cheddite from Malmo or Clever from North Ayrshire.

I tried Cheddite Smart Strike , last week and thought they were brilliant value .

Always be aware of the Italian shot size discrepancy with English .

8's are perfect in my opinion.... a few more pellets which is always nice and close range kills always look better.... once shot a big FITASC shoot with 9's and cylinder and quarter and shot an 86.... which was about my average at that shoot and they broke some stuff at ridiculous range...

Latest posts

Back