ips tries to shoot esp

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ips

Shot a round with paul120 14x30 shot with Mr grumpy I mean balltrap 16x30

really enjoyed it but I am totally pants at any sideways jobs I have no idea about lead and shooting fresh air is alien on the good side I am ok at driven and going away and wabbits.

some things I noted....

sporting is chuffing hard

sporters are friendly

I am rubbish but can only improve

I don't think Sian will need to duff me up

Shot a round with paul120 14x30 shot with Mr grumpy I mean balltrap 16x30

really enjoyed it but I am totally pants at any sideways jobs I have no idea about lead and shooting fresh air is alien on the good side I am ok at driven and going away and wabbits.

some things I noted....

sporting is chuffing hard

sporters are friendly

I am rubbish but can only improve

I don't think Sian will need to duff me up
do what I do sometimes when I get confused about lead - look at the end of a good shots barrels and the clay and try and work something from that x.  

I was apparently behind em but I felt like I was way in front. I just need to get on a practice stand were I can shoot repetition of same target and adjust a bit at a time until I work it out that's all. I mean how hard can it be ?

Had a go at Star gun club this morning. Pitched up as a guest, hint here is that there are no trappers and no claymate so you are reliant on other shooters. That having beeen said the mob was very accomodating, most guys noticed I was alone and simply asked for my card and buttoned me in! A nice relaxed atmosphere.

Muddy. Good targets though. Nothing too easy at all. Straighted a few, let a few get away but really enjoyed the round finished on 76 so pleased given my form over the past couple of weeks.

If you are going they are not signposted from the main road but they are on the 'crown estate' the entrance road to which is just yards before the Star pub/inn on the left on the road from the m25.

Stopped at Horne Gatton Bottom and carded an 80 on the dot. 86 was leading B class and I thought I was in the running initially. Had a fun day! Back on form I think.

To the young chap I bumped in to on a couple of stands ( west country accent, shooting alone ) who was hitting 2's and 3's and getting pretty despondent may I suggest a session with a good coach! There was nothing much wrong with your swing etc but you were waaaaay behind everything! A good coach is money well spent! 
wrong thread?

so how the heck do you guage how much lead you need. For instance middle station on skeet left to right job, how much lead ?

take same target to a sporting but increase distance by double so about thirty yards, how much lead.

I know there are probably other factors but generally speaking

so how the heck do you guage how much lead you need. For instance middle station on skeet left to right job, how much lead ?

take same target to a sporting but increase distance by double so about thirty yards, how much lead.

I believe I see lead in real distance. If I see three feet then it's three feet, mainly because I tend to move the gun at a similar speed to the clay when I pull the trigger. However, because a gun fires a little bit after your brain says "now", then this can affect what you see. If you are slowing or stopping the gun, then three feet may need to look like more, even 5 feet. If you are swinging through quickly, then 3 feet may only look like 1 foot, as the extra 2 feet get added in after you go to pull the trigger. 

So, taking the above into account, if you can match the clay speed approximately and not slow up as you pull the trigger, then you and I can talk the same language for lead. My BASIC guide, is that on a medium speed crosser, you need a foot of lead for every 10 yards distance. This is for a true crosser, so it is less if it is anything other than 90 degrees to you.

very nicely explained will many thanks, yes I understand there are many variables.

so propper crossed thirty yards away will need three foot of lead ish as long as your swing speed matches target speed and you maintain the swing ..... That right ?

Experience and many years of it.

Of course line is critical too. Most clays are starting to descend when you get to pulling the trigger. Really look hard to see this. A miss over the top, as the clay arcs over, is commonplace. That is why I like to touch the clay, then pull away with any built in line adjustment. You can't coach on a forum and this is just basic principle stuff, but good to bear in mind.

i see 4ft on that clay but others see inches.

A very good shot (drives a flashy range rover) said to me forget distance with lead it's not calculated it's instinctive, this was the example; judge the clay speed from 1-5 say you judge it to be 3 as a crosser you then need to make your gun travel at 5 pickup the back of the target continue to push through pull the trigger while still pushing through at 5! 

your very kind Martyn, that's encouraging. I think if I can get my head around crossers I may be able to hold my head up come hodnet as so far I feel ok on driven and flushed stuff, even high driven and teal I seem ok on, I just cant get to grips with this lead mallarkey but its early days yet and I ain't no quitter ?

I see this person swinging through the clays a lot and not taking the drop into account, hence poor kills on many..

wow and double wow that's brilliant very very helpful many thanks will.

I cant believe how much lead you need on some of them, no wonder I missed em. Paul and Dave both said i was behind many and not that I didn't believe them I just could not get my head around it or quantify it.

this has been very enlightening. Cheers ?

ps

piece of pish really ???

A very good shot (drives a flashy range rover) said to me forget distance with lead it's not calculated it's instinctive, this was the example; judge the clay speed from 1-5 say you judge it to be 3 as a crosser you then need to make your gun travel at 5 pickup the back of the target continue to push through pull the trigger while still pushing through at 5! 
That sounds horrible. I can't see Ed Solomons adopting this as his top tip.. ? You can get away with all sorts of little tricks and movements, up until a lot of lead is needed. Then you really have to be conscious of the gap, in a clear and repeatable way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back