dustbin lids................

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

Not sure if this is the right place.?

I wondered why some days I can see the targets really well, big and bright but on other day of very similar weather/light/glasses etc they look half the size. Is there something physical/psychological behind this that can can be managed in some way. Are there some differences in light and sight that are making the diffference or is it just one of those things ??

Any thoughts ?

Good question, it's more likely a state of mind thing, when you're shooting well they often look bigger and slower.

Had a lesson with Rob at wylye on Sat and he told me some techniques to use to make this happen more regularly. Can't say on here what they were (trade secret) but yep it happens and can be replicated ;)

I'm sure its true that when your shooting well they look bigger and slower, bit of a chicken and egg tho. do you shoot well because there big or do they seem big because your shooting well. Sounds like I need a coach to discover some of your secrets Fuzrat ! :.:

Dont mean to be all secret squirrel :ph34r: but all decent timeserved coaches will have little tips and tricks that they have found by experimenting and trying different things with clients. They try to keep these just between them and the clients and to be fair why wouldnt they. They have spent the time and effort to discover them and the client is paying for that knowledge to be imparted.

I know Big Ben has some clients only secrets, in the "A lesson with" series by Don Brunt in clayshooter mag it is noted that Ben likes to keep some of his methods out of the public domain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like psychology to me.

If a guy is paying you and you divulge your 'secrets' how have you kept it to yourself????

Oh! I see the customer is sworn to secrecy.

aintseen.jpg

:)

I just blurt it out. Ive not come out with anything worth listening to yet!

Yes there are times when the clays seem to be slow and large! Yesterday I shot for the first time in over five years. I shot O/T with a loaned gun. Well the clays were travelling at warp speed as far as I was concerned, much faster and smaller that I had remembered! In fact I shot so badly that I missed more birds in the first 15 than I would have missed in 100 before I had my break from shooting! So I guess it's all about perception at any given point in time, and in my case yesterday I was filled with trepidation before I even picked up a gun. I know enough to know that the gun did not fit me at all well, BUT I also know that I would not have been much better with a perfectly fitted gun either! My brain reactions have simply gone out of tune due to a lack of practice, my timing was total rubbish, so I have a lot of hard work to put in to get back to anywhere near a decent standard. I am thankful to my coach, Anthea Hillyer, for her encouragement and guidance, without which I think I should have been in even more of a mess!

Iffy hold points/set up, soft focus in the wrong place, eyes not ready when you call, tense as your shooting a gun you dont like and will expecting to shoot poorly.... all possible/likely causes of the birds looking harder than they are. Just as when you get your set up right and have nothing but the target to worry about the look like the size of dinner plates.

Latest posts

Back