Meltor Gun Club, Sigford, Nr Ashburton, Devon (BASC)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertBeard

I had a, new to me, clay club suggested to me recently so I spoke to the organiser after exchanging emails and went for a shoot this morning.

Its called Meltor Gun Club and they hold a 50 bird sporting shoot on alternate Sunday mornings.  There were about 30 shooting today and high gun when I left was 43.  5 stands of 2 birds per stand with each bird repeated five times.  Plenty of parking with a portaloo and a large static caravan/portacabin for pre and post shoot refreshments.  There will be a shoot next Sunday as its Christmas with the next main shoot on 10th January and fortnightly thereafter.  They also shoot on all Monday evenings from 6pm in the Summer when the evening light allows.

Membership is £30 per annum on a calendar year basis with the fee for me today of £17 which I think was £1 more than normal as its Christmas and there were more prizes the  normal.  The club is BASC based as opposed to CPSA and if you belong to BASC your membership is free on a 1st October to 30 September basis.  Evidently they were a CPSA club years ago but got fed up with ever increasing regulation.  Its run by Chris Linfield and I have his email address and mobile phone number and the club location should anyone need it.  Basically you leave Newton Abbot on the A383 towards Ashburton and just before joining the A38 towards Plymouth you turn right which is signposted Sigford, Widdecombe and Haytor.  You follow this narrow lane towards Widdecombe and Haytor which are connected together by the B3387 but before you get to that you turn right at a cross roads signposted to Meltor Gun Club after going downhill and passing a farm on your right there is a visible parking area on the left again signposted for the Meltor Gun Club.

The shoot is is based in a steep sided wooded valley with a flattish bottom and you walk up one side of the valley and shoot across/up or down the valley away from the path.  Nice friendly crowd of people

Apologies - The village name is SIGFORD and not Sidford in the title and the text of the first post - auto correct too clever by half and won't let me save any edits as its the first post in the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back