How do you stop yourself thinking?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Was out yesterday at Capvern and was shooting most of the targets really well... don't we all... Anyways I have a very bad habit of thinking about the progression of the round and also for some reason finding myself thinking about stuff that is not relevant for example are my eyes looking in the right spot... when you have just clattered the last ten targets looking at that exact spot!! It seeds doubt for that split second which I find causes the miss. This is of course costing me targets and spoiling my score for example I am shooting the first round yesterday and get to target 22 and start thinking well if I clear the rest I have made a nice 24... pap miss! and a nice round is ruined. The last round I shot I missed the first two targets and really knuckled down got to target 24 without dropping another the thought hey I can make a 23 which is not bad for me after that start... pap miss and I am disappointed. Is there a method for improving concentration? Is this the vital ingredient that separates average shooters from those who can really knock up the scores?

Last edited by a moderator:
Know exactly what you mean John. As soon as I think about what I could score I miss the next target. Doh!

I have been told many times to think about the next target only and not be concerned about the potential end score but when you are straight to 15 it is very difficult to not know you are straight and start to think about the potential end score. Ditto going into the last five targets. The same applies to your overall score. You cannot help but know what you have scored going into the last round which then potentially affects how you shoot the last round, say you need a 23 to break 90 and end up shooting a 19.

I recall watching a lad shoot straight at the UT Worlds. He had no idea how many targets he had shoot (although he was aware he had not missed any) and he was loaded and ready for the next target when the ref shouted 'stop shooting and unload your guns'). He looked around to see a big 25 on score board.

Now if we could all get into that Zen like state of just shooting the next target without knowing how many targets left I think we would shoot better.

No idea how to achieve that mind-set though and if you find out let me know will you :)

DT

"I recall watching a lad shoot straight at the UT Worlds. He had no idea how many targets he had shoot (although he was aware he had not missed any) and he was loaded and ready for the next target when the ref shouted 'stop shooting and unload your guns'). He looked around to see a big 25 on score board."

It wasn't me :)   I know what you mean though DT I very occasionally have that happen to me I have made a good score and I am ready for the next target but more often than not I find myself counting down the targets at the end and as I say thinking about stuff that is not part of the equation. Another thing I am doing is not acting on a thought that is relevant... like mounting the gun and thinking this does not feel quite right but instead of starting over I call the target ... pap miss! Out on Wednesday again so will try to find a way to get my head right.

One thing that has worked out for me is my stock alteration. I had 10 mm removed and am now so much more in the gun. My cheek is now well forward on the comb and nose and thumb knuckle now comfortably together makes the gun and head now so much more an integrated unit so head lifting has been sorted out which is nice. Although yesterday was the first time out I really like the feel.

.....like mounting the gun and thinking this does not feel quite right but instead of starting over I call the target ... pap miss!

Know that one but think I have overcome that habit. Quite often I will remove the gun from the shoulder if it doesn't feel spot on and remount. Also see many people call for target for no target to appear. Instead of dismounting and starting again they just call for the target again but a bit louder and that invariably results in a miss as well.

Its a hard enough game at the best of times, so why make it harder?

As for target counting (or cartridge counting in the pocket) I was once told to put more cartridges in my first barrel pocket than I am going to need as a way of fooling you that you have more left to shoot than you think. Unfortunately I find it hard to forget where I started the round from so know when my last couple of targets are due.

I had a few rounds of OT practice at Nutty on Friday afternoon (just dropped in as I was passing). First round shot with a few kids and dropped one in the first 20 and then dropped another three in the last five. Doh!  Next couple of rounds shot on my own (never a good idea) and posted 2 x 23's. Straight to 15 in both rounds but then the 'straight' gremlins took hold and dropped a couple. Repeating the ones I missed I cleaned them all up but unfortunately that doesn't count as a straight.

Glad you have got your stock sorted although not sure I would want my nose touching my thumb?

DT

its simple .... You cannot think of nothing.

instead you have to think of something positive such as the target. Easier said than done but more doable than attempting the impossible

as an aside

it can be dangerous to get fixated on a reason for a miss, if you get it in your head that you shoot 15 or whatever before you believe you start thinking and miss then that will be exactly what happens. Sometimes we just miss, for many unknown reasons not necessarily because we suddenly started to think about it. I do however strongly believe that ones frame of mind at the beginning of the pre shot routine has a definite impact on the outcome this is why its common to miss two or three targets back to back, you simply did not have a positive attitude.

The following is a blanket statement and not meant to be derogatory in any way BUT have you noticed that many very top shooters either have a degree of arrogance or seem aloof during the comp. Ever watched one shoot and knew they would not miss any .... well guess what they feel the same. !!!!

In thirty years I can recall two occasions when before I pulled the trigger on the first target I KNEW that I would high gun, I did on both occasions. Why can I not replicate it I here you ask ...... I will let you know when I figure it out.

The mind is a powerful tool.

I asked Bob Braithwaite what he did to stop the :Brain Chatter.. He looked at me totally bemused and said "what's that then?" He obviously knew what I was gettng at  but in his ususl way was making a point.  All he was interested in was breaking the next target. Not nothing else. Pure competition between him and the target about to be thrown. Scores, 25s .50s 100,s. Whatever anybody else was doing or scoring or was totally irrelevant.

" Another thing I am doing is not acting on a thought that is relevant... like mounting the gun and thinking this does not feel quite right but instead of starting over I call the target ... pap miss! Out on Wednesday again so will try to find a way to get my head right.
There you have said it...whenever there is anything but target in your mind, eyes, ears or wherever...dismount, break the gun, start it all over. Bloody hard but eventually should do.

DT The thumb touching nose thing. It is a popular technique down here and bit like closing the circle of head and gun. The idea is that you can feel your hand on the stock with your nose and know that you have your head in the right position because if you cannot you have lifted your head I definitely find it a great help to be honest but have only shot the gun once since I had the stock shortened... be out on Wednesday to have another try though. One thing I have found a great help in acquiring the target is my consciousness of calling the target... sounds daft I know... but what I find myself doing now is actually when calling the target subconsciously saying to myself is the moment I make the sound "P" of pull the target is going to appear. I know it may sound daft but I have found it has made a huge of difference to my concentrating on seeing the target early. Of course many may already do that but I am quite new to shooting and always just called the target never really thinking that it is that very first utterance that trips the trap and not the word itself.

Not thinking is not a problem for me apparently, my wife is always telling me that I NEVER think........who am I to argue?  :)

OK, John, take a breath.  Every time before you mount the gun.  And don't wear your eyes out watching the other targets.  Look at something close and non-involving.  Dis-involve your eyes and think of how something you like smells.  By the time that is up and running it will be your turn to shoot again.

And quit second guessing yourself .  JUST DO IT!    Just like several mo ago, you seem intent on flogging yourself.  STOP IT !

And here are a couple eye things that I know are about rifles but have worthwhile general info too and you can find the clues of what to search for more of

https://www.usashooting.org/library/Instructional/Rifle/Rifle_jan_feb_2011.pdf

http://www.usashooting.org/library/Instructional/General/general_nov_dec_2010.pdf

I agree with my learned friend on all but one thing.

its better Imo to have a soft gaze at something approx fifty yards away as that is the rough distance you will shoot the target. Looking at the floor or whatever means that the eyes have to re focus quickly which is harder the older we get.

549211_1737109193201830_8733277156881107451_n.jpg

I agree with my learned friend on all but one thing.

its better Imo to have a soft gaze at something approx fifty yards away as that is the rough distance you will shoot the target. Looking at the floor or whatever means that the eyes have to re focus quickly which is harder the older we get.
Of course.  I meant between shots to sorta flex the eye muscles in from the distance focus for a moment.  Long soft focus for the setup is def hot

When I used to shoot OT a lot at Garlands wierdly enough I used to look at the flowers on the bank in front...my first 25 straight was shot there but i had two shooters preceding me missing pretty much everything and getting the buzzer all the time.

Somehow I zoned out of it and the flowers on the bank that day looked like they were only a few feet away. Certainly in "the zone" and every shot was effortless.

I can tell when I'm out of the zone though because I'm not in my own world ignoring everything, I'm absorbing every noise, every cartridge going in the bin, spectators talking, etc.

To empty your brain completely, can only be achieved after 25 years of marriage! 

Ear plugs correctly fitted and muffs on top.

Concentrate on the job in hand , don't try and guess the next target, shoot what you see and to hell with the World for each layout .

Somehow I zoned out of it and the flowers on the bank that day looked like they were only a few feet away.
Works for me as long as the zone is static - then a bloody bumblebee flies in and spoil it all up - I try to overlook it and proceed regardless - dang a miss. (Note to myself - Should have stop straight away and start all over)

Back