joining CPSA

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stolly27

I want to join the CPSA so I can enter registered competitions . can any one tell me how it works when you join? what is the process? do you just go to a registered shoot and then your classed or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can join online, then they send you a membership car.  Take that with you to registered shoots and give them your number when you book in, shoot and hand your card in at the end.  You need to have shot 300 targets at a Registered shoot before you can get a classification.  Once you've done that you can apply for a temporary classification or you can wait until the end of the next period when you will be given one.

You can join online, then they send you a membership car.  Take that with you to registered shoots and give them your number when you book in, shoot and hand your card in at the end.  You need to have shot 300 targets at a Registered shoot before you can get a classification.  Once you've done that you can apply for a temporary classification or you can wait until the end of the next period when you will be given one.
Hi Bebo

Thanks for that then after I have been classed do you just go to a registered shoot and enter at that level? I shoot at the Doveridge a lot and how do you find out where the registered shoots are being held etc.

Once you've joined, shot your 300 targets unclassified and got your temporary classification, when you next go to shoot they will put you into the relevant class.  If you don't shoot birds only you'll then be eligible to win within your class.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/fixtures

That link will take you to the cpsa website fixtures list where you can search for shoots in your area.  Not sure that Doveridge do many registered shoots, so you may need to look elsewhere.

Don't forget, you can shoot any registered shoot on a birds only basis without being a cpsa member, but your scores won't start counting towards that first 300 that you need to get a classification until you've joined and got a CPSA number to give the ground when you enter.

Thanks Bebo what do you mean by birds only shoot? sorry I'm new to the competition world jus starting out.

If you shoot birds only it means that you shoot the same targets as everyone else and your scores get recorded by the cpsa if you are a member, but you don't qualify to win anything.  It's cheaper to enter birds only at most shoots.

Thank you for that so I would have to shoot birds only to get my 300 birds in first before I can enter to win prizes. I don't know if I'm good enough to win prizes but I'm really keen to give it ago and enjoy just entering and see what happens and hopefully meet some new people I can shoot with.

Get your membership in place and then go and shoot three 100 bird shoots birds only to get your classification.  Once you've done that you'll at least have an idea if it's worth your while for the prizes or just sticking to B/O.  There is a whole other debate to be had about whether or not shooting B/O is the right thing to do, but if you have a search around the forum you'll find plenty on that.

I made a Bo Bo at the weekend. Only have one score in and was shooting the inter-counties skeet. Entered comp then realised after I had no classification anyway so should have gone birds only ..

Thank you for that so I would have to shoot birds only to get my 300 birds in first before I can enter to win prizes. I don't know if I'm good enough to win prizes but I'm really keen to give it ago and enjoy just entering and see what happens and hopefully meet some new people I can shoot with.
You can enter full comp if you are feeling confident but you will be classified on the day. With trap they preselect which rounds will be utilised for classification of un-classified shooters (I assume with sporting they pre-select a few stands for the same purpose). What ever you shoot on those preselected rounds (which you will not know) is used to determine your classification for the whole comp. Unusual for an unclassified shooter to win class money but I have known an unclassified shooter win high gun.

Prolly best to go birds only until you get your temporary classification from CPSA.

DT

I made a Bo Bo at the weekend. Only have one score in and was shooting the inter-counties skeet. Entered comp then realised after I had no classification anyway so should have gone birds only ..
Cant you just go unclassified for this?

I didn't realise you could shoot birds only for your 300 to get your first classification, I thought you had to shoot it as a competition?

Would save me money when I shoot at SouthDowns this coming weekend for my 2nd 100 towards my classification

I didn't realise you could shoot birds only for your 300 to get your first classification, I thought you had to shoot it as a competition?

Would save me money when I shoot at SouthDowns this coming weekend for my 2nd 100 towards my classification
No whether you shoot B/O or comp - your score still gets recorded.

Latest posts

Back