Advice for a young shooter

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperShooter15

This is one of my first posts on here so I apologise if it is in the wrong place.

I am fifteen and this year has been my first competitive season at clays. I have tried a variety of disciplines including OS, OT and DTL but my favourite is by far FITASC. 

At the moment my averages are between 55 and 75 and have been since May. I really struggle to apply myself for each and every target -- I may hit the first two pairs but then drop the next pair through a lack of focus. 

I am happy with my gun (MK38) and cartridges (Sporting 100) and have a great coach who helps me with all aspects, even taking me to competitions.

I have been placed in a few events this year including the Colts in the Premier League, and the Schools Challenge at Oxford Gun Company. However, I would like to take it a step further over the winter and next year.

So, is there anything that anyone recommends I can try to raise my scores to reach 70-80 consistently? Is it a question of developing a pre shot routine? Or do I just need to shoot more?

Cheers 

Perhaps this question is best directed to your coach, as he will have seen your development and had input in its direction.He should have an insight as to what needs to be done in order to continue your development.

At your age you will learn quickly. The trouble is, with sporting clays, quickly means years rather than decades! You will not be a star overnight, there is just too much to learn. Be patient, stick at it, your scores will rise. I started shooting comps at 40 and it took me 8 years to make AA class!

Take note of your average as this will go up faster than you think, because you will have fewer bad scores,  rather than lots of big scores. That is progress

Last edited by a moderator:
As you have a coach I would direct this to him as all the well meaning advice in the world here is irrelevant unless people know the ins and outs of your shooting.

there are a lot of potential areas to look at and I'm sure you will have fun along the way!

good luck,

Ed

I am assuming that if you have a coach then you will be covering all the normal stuff and working through problems as they arise, and that you don't have a road-block issue, so your question is "how fast can I expect progress". Slow but sure is the answer. When I had been shooting about 3 years I asked a similar question on another forum. An experienced shot replied that if you hadn't made it within 5 years then your never would. Luckily he was talking utter b*ollocks..

I am assuming that if you have a coach then you will be covering all the normal stuff and working through problems as they arise, and that you don't have a road-block issue, so your question is "how fast can I expect progress". Slow but sure is the answer. When I had been shooting about 3 years I asked a similar question on another forum. An experienced shot replied that if you hadn't made it within 5 years then your never would. Luckily he was talking utter b*ollocks..
thank The Lord for that ?

wish I was 15  starting out shooting ,    you have a coach so at least your on the right track , fitasc is tough ,  do you think a year at esp would help first ,   walk before you can run . !  you have time on your side  just remember to enjoy .  :smile:

Ssecond guessing your coach is not going to help. Patience, practice, mental focus. It's part of what's called maturity.

As Yoda said 'you are young, learn you must' :)  

Latest posts

Back