6.5 SHOT

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Nash

What Cartridge make are in 6.5 Shot 28g 12gauge, as i was thinking i could use it for both Clay and also Game / Pigeon Etc. Thanks Joe.

Express make them. Can't see why you would want one cartridge to do all jobs though. Just buy others too? 6.5 shot is not ideal for clays, especially close ones.

I think the majority of clay grounds, certainly those in my area only allow up to shot size 7 and 28g

Hull Sovereign Parcours have an extreme range 6.5 size shot. 

I also have a box of EJC Hellfire 6.5 long range to test which are copper coated so should get some good breaks with those, but it would take a lot to convince me to feel the need to carry round a box on each round for longer stuff when I get perfectly good distance breaks with the 7.5 shot I used at the moment.

Shot Westfields yesterday seems these new clays ,which are deemed better for the environment, require more energy to kill and break them well, if on the out side of the pattern seen plenty yesterday with multiple holes in ( and yes 6-7 of mine with 8's) so I will be ordering a few more 6.5 -7's on the next order . In side 25-30m it seems fine but if edgy you could actually see chunks of clay splinter off !!, and day light appear in the clay ?

picked one up with 3 holes clean through it ????? and on many occasions you could actually see the clay being knocked off line but not break .....get some my tip 

I always have a box of Hull Parcours 6.5 in the bag. 

Learnt that from shooting edgey Fitasc targets in Scotland. 

Was Shooting a rangey target at Auchterhouse with 8s. Drew Christie was stood behind me, he said I was spot on the target. Borrowed some 6.5's for the doubles and yep target broke.

I nipped in the shop for some 6.5's for the rest of the round. Now I always carry them. 

Another vote for Sovereign Parcours, 6.5. Used these in 28g flavour at Essex Masters for some long edgy birds...does the job.  I wouldn't be without my 8's (Fiocchi F3 Piston, at the moment)...for anything else though.

Have always got a handful of Black Gold 6.5 in my pocket for anything a long way out and edgy - just gives me a bit more confidence. 

I shoot Fiocchi shells and use UK 7 shot for everything......except long edgy birds where I use 6.5 shot. I remember trying to shoot a fast quartering battue and missing it time and again with tight chokes....only to realise I had been shooting 9's!!!!! Dropping in 7's it broke everytime.  Not scientific but I prefer bigger balls now!!!!

I shoot Fiocchi shells and use UK 7 shot for everything......except long edgy birds where I use 6.5 shot. I remember trying to shoot a fast quartering battue and missing it time and again with tight chokes....only to realise I had been shooting 9's!!!!! Dropping in 7's it broke everytime.  Not scientific but I prefer bigger balls now!!!!
I can well believe that there is a definable difference in breaking ability of different shot sizes on various targets although in truth for 99%+ of the sort of birds and distances we get a 7.5 will cope no problem, we know this because some of the very best shots in the world stick to this no matter what. 

Having said that I firmly believe that if you kept failing to break a certain battue with 9's, that the reason will not be lack of kinetic energy. These are invariably the most brittle and thinnest of all targets so will not need a hammer to encourage them to disintegrate. I would say the shot getting blown off course at range is a more likely explanation. 

All joking apart , I find it very disheartening to think that anyone would use an illegally loaded cartridge to gain an advantage.

Although I am aware it does go on , but how much does it really happen??? Especially on Pool shoots.

I can well believe that there is a definable difference in breaking ability of different shot sizes on various targets although in truth for 99%+ of the sort of birds and distances we get a 7.5 will cope no problem, we know this because some of the very best shots in the world stick to this no matter what. 
Hamster, *99%+ of the targets YOU shoot don't need big shot to break them well...some of the shoots I've been at this year I've used a full box of 6.5's and wished I'd took two boxes!!! It's not a macho thing, it's not clever target setting, it's getting beat up with edge on at distance and some of us see far too much of it!!!

All joking apart , I find it very disheartening to think that anyone would use an illegally loaded cartridge to gain an advantage.

Although I am aware it does go on , but how much does it really happen??? Especially on Pool shoots.
I shot the English open at High Lodge, 4th squad on the first day. I was second up to shoot stand 15, l-r with tower bird on report...glanced down into the bin and something 'odd' caught my eye...green cartridge cases with low brass..."what the f*** are those" ran through my head...shot an 8 (with 8's) came off, job done. After all the squad had shot I asked the ref if I could take the one of the strange green empties out of the bin...there was 4 30g 6's that someone in the first 4 squads had obviously felt the tower bird needed to break it. The ironic thing is, that was only the second stand I shot straight at the English, I was supper confident of breaking that high driven crosser with 1/4 choke and 8's shooting at its belly I'd never have dreamed of using an illegal game load!??!

Hamster, *99%+ of the targets YOU shoot don't need big shot to break them well...some of the shoots I've been at this year I've used a full box of 6.5's and wished I'd took two boxes!!! It's not a macho thing, it's not clever target setting, it's getting beat up with edge on at distance and some of us see far too much of it!!!
Yawn,  :kiss:  still smarting I see, don't fret just put in the time and money and you too will be nearly as good as me one day.  :baby:

If you had read and absorbed the context of the post you'll have understood I meant the big boys and I'm sure they'll break your edge on aard clays with their normal fodder. There's nothing wrong with prepping your mental side with summat that makes you think it'll give you a mechanical advantage but very very few targets will need a 6.5 bearing in mind that you loose a bit of density.  :wink:

You occasionally see a few non regulation loads in the Pool stand, well we used to but I haven't seen any for yonks. In truth the vast majority of us are not silly enough to try that out and I personally don't much care for rummaging through empties. 

Back