Bogey birdtha

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crumstar

I heard that this year the most common missed dtl bird is dead straight peg 3 bird which got me thinking is it worth Using half choke if shoot early instead of common three quarter as the pattern cant be much bigger than a football?

It's prolly worth using half for DTL but not for that reason.

people wrongly assume peg 3 is easiest and are worried by perceived difficulty of 1 & 5 the reality is that 3 is the most difficult as on 1 you get a straight or a left on 5 you get a straight or a right on 3 you get a left a straight or a right therefore it is the most difficult however there are no hard targets at dtl it is the repetition and the need for a 100x300 that is difficult.

from my experience targets are missed at dtl due to complacency or a lack of commitment to the shot, one should always shoot to hit it rather than shoot not to miss.

missing a straight from peg 3 is inexcusable and a prime example of lack of commitment and therefore a failure to attack the target resulting in a miss underneath.

only my opinion based on my experience.

Ps

I do not believe there is any advantage using or not using half choke because at dtl distance the pattern will be relatively small whichever you use.

It could probably be said that the most missed target at any trap discipline would be a straight away target not just because of the complacency on the target but also because of the lack of shot string.

now you have done it "shot string"

any takers ?

:)

If they are proper registered DTL targets you don't get many chips with 3/8 in the 1st barrel, as long as your on em quick, you need to shoot em like you really want to mash em up,

If your the sort that likes to let em get out a bit then 1/2 is the way forward 

Modern cartridges have all but made the concept of traditional choking defunct....  .... .... oops!

"If they are proper registered DTL targets you don't get many chips with 3/8 in the 1st barrel, as long as your on em quick, you need to shoot em like you really want to mash em up,

If your the sort that likes to let em get out a bit then 1/2 is the way forward "

I shoot a fixed half / full choke Perazzi I shoot UT and OT when I am shooting well there is not discernible piece of the target left from a first barrel hit and I am one of those shooters who lets them fly a bit before moving the gun to shoot... its those new special trap cartridges... oops ! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern cartridges have all but made the concept of traditional choking defunct....  .... .... oops!

"If they are proper registered DTL targets you don't get many chips with 3/8 in the 1st barrel, as long as your on em quick, you need to shoot em like you really want to mash em up,

If your the sort that likes to let em get out a bit then 1/2 is the way forward "

I shoot a fixed half / full choke Perazzi I shoot UT and OT when I am shooting well there is not discernible piece of the target left from a first barrel hit and I am one of those shooters who lets them fly a bit before moving the gun to shoot... its those new special trap cartridges... oops ! :)
That's it John......shove some petrol on the fire!!!  :D

If they are proper registered DTL targets you don't get many chips with 3/8 in the 1st barrel, as long as your on em quick, you need to shoot em like you really want to mash em up,

If your the sort that likes to let em get out a bit then 1/2 is the way forward 
Yep them none regulation DTL targets are tricky little beggers.

Insert sarcastic but jovial I didn't mean to offend smiley things.

True story. I was shooting a practice session a UT at Capvern and got talking to a very good and well respected shot. Anyway I say to him "I am using these 24g mirage cartridges they seem to be very good my scores are just the same as with the 28g version". He looks at me and quite sternly and says no no  no! Those are only good for OT where the targets are always going away from you the have a much shorter shot string than the 28g version which is better for the crossing targets of UT... thing is though if you have that imprinted on you brain it becomes true and is a very important part of your "mental shooting".  I did not argue with him he is a regular 24 , 25 shooter :)

do autos effect shot string more than OU's ?

Latest posts

Back