Odd trap ground

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwpzx9r

Just shot a comp at what must one of the most bizarre trap grounds. The ground is in terms of facilities amazing and new too, however the fosses all face east. So this means that for nearly the entire shooting day you are shooting directly into the sun... and we are talking south of France sun. I personally could not cope in fact my eyes are still sore and I stopped shooting over four hours ago.  Nearly every shooter I spoke to said the same thing why? ... Would appear to be a planning thing so even here new grounds have planning issues! It was my first and last visit it is very difficult to shoot into the sun down here I am not even going to try that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
So this means that for nearly the entire shooting day you are shooting directly into the sun...
There's one or two like that here. One particular East Midlands ground is so bad the targets can't be seen at certain times of day.

There's plenty of grounds that don't have the ideal NE range orientation. The original A1 ranges were very difficult to shoot with right hand targets disappearing into the early morning sun. 

I've noticed that abroad local competitions were often shot in the afternoon as ranges were almost unshootable in the morning. Zaragoza and one near Venice, who's name escapes me, were like that and they both had UT World or European Championships. An 8.00 am start needed a long peaked cap and sun glasses.

Name and shame John.

DT
BTC Sore  Greg not too far from where you shot the Euro's at Ychoux. The shooting club is set up on similar lines to Ychoux but is totally unsuited to Trap shooting, in my opinion. They held the French CS championships there this year and it was a great success... don't they mind shooting into the sun? It has not been thought out for UT at all there many other factors that add to the suns effect . Having said all that it is the same for all and there were some good scores being made but I personally could not cope with the sun in my eyes. I have an average score of 86% on the first round I managed a 15 ! I was really just glad to get out of the place at the end of the day which is a shame because a lot of work has gone into the place. I do however get the impression that they shoot more CS there. Of course once something like that gets into your head the concentration levels drop and you spend too much time thinking about the conditions rather than seeing the target. In the afternoon I hit the first ten on each round but once I missed one I just started to fritter them away grumbling under my breath :)   Can I just say I would not return to that ground nor would I recommend it to anybody who was planning a shooting holiday and that is a real shame because the only fault with the ground is the orientation of the layouts nothing else.

I guess it works OK when the sun is high enough to be outside your eyeline but unless they don't start shooting until about 11.00AM your knackered.

Phil, is NE the ideal orientation? I would have thought N or NW was the ideal??

Granada is set up to shoot due North but with shooting starting at 8.30AM the sun was low right. Even with the covered layouts Pegs 4 and 5 were a bitch without a right blinder as I soon found out. As it was first round of the day there were no empty cartridge boxes in the bins to make a blinder so a hasty placement of a credit card clamped under my defenders soon cured the problem :)

DT

As an aside and talking about planning permission the Jarapalo Shooting range in Malaga faces NNE, directly towards a load of nearby houses!! The noise must be horrendous, let alone being peppered with shot!

I suspect the shooting club was there first?

DT

Cancha-1-2.jpg

Personally I would have thought that NW would be about right . The problem with this place is they have had the land but been a bit restricted in how they can use it. The other issues I had were with the fosse it self. The land is very sandy and they must have problems with is falling into the trap pit so what they have done is taken the sand away from the front of the pit and contour it down toward the pit and sort of fan shaped looking out, a bit like the top edge of a vortex. Now to stop the sand from shifting the have used a woven plastic tarp and pinned it down... which is shiny and reflects back to the shooter, the tops of the pits too a reflective finish. The other issue that was noticed by those who had , like me, not shot there before is that the layouts are bermmed fairly high with sand, I suspect to deaden the noise, so while you have sun in the eyes issues the clays are not actually lit, as it were, on the side of the clay you see because the sun is coming from the opposite direction then the go into shade because of the berm. Maybe the place is a work in progress I don't know but had the orientation been correct... perfect  and I would have been back for every comp there because it is that good. They even have big TV screens where you can watch the shooting in the club house as well as a bar and restaurant. The cost of shooting is good to at €5 or about £3.60 per round  but for me at least this is all totally negated but the layout problems.

As an aside and talking about planning permission the Jarapalo Shooting range in Malaga faces NNE, directly towards a load of nearby houses!! The noise must be horrendous, let alone being peppered with shot!

I suspect the shooting club was there first?

DT

View attachment 5148
The angle is deceiving. Those houses are quite far away when you are actually down there. You can walk out and look at the drop off from the edge of the ZZ/Pigeon ring and see that they are pretty far away. The noise would still be bad but the Spanish are shooting daft so it likely doesn't bother them at all or the people who own the homes are at work while the shooting hours are on. 

I have never had a problem with the sun being in my face or eyes when I was at Jarapalo, even shooting at 9am it is still fine. 

"I have never had a problem with the sun being in my face or eyes when I was at Jarapalo, even shooting at 9am it is still fine."

To be honest I think there were quite a few at Sore who had not too much of a problem. Unfortunately my eyes are very sensitive to glare and add to that I wear glasses to correct my eye dom problem and the whole thing turn out very bad. I am not the greatest shooter but normally I would be in the 85-90 % but I only scraped a 68% on Sunday. I found it very hard to see the targets and had I known the ground orientation I would not have gone there. To be honest I wasted a day plus €70 on fuel and entry fee.

I guess it works OK when the sun is high enough to be outside your eyeline but unless they don't start shooting until about 11.00AM your knackered.

Phil, is NE the ideal orientation? I would have thought N or NW was the ideal??

Granada is set up to shoot due North but with shooting starting at 8.30AM the sun was low right. Even with the covered layouts Pegs 4 and 5 were a bitch without a right blinder as I soon found out. As it was first round of the day there were no empty cartridge boxes in the bins to make a blinder so a hasty placement of a credit card clamped under my defenders soon cured the problem :)

DT
ISSF Rule 6.4.17.1 refers.

Latest posts

Back