OT technique

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone point me towards some online guidance or advise on how to shoot OT particuarly re foot position and gun hold/mount? i.e., how do you stand (feet pointing where?) and where best to point he gun pre-calling pull...?

with DTL i believe you orientate towards the left hand marker (for right handed accoriding to Batha) but not sure for OT (ABT or OT too come to think of it!)

Planning on doing some OT on sunday and no idea!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

There's a thread on here re OT coaching that I replied to - have a read of that. I think I remember you were heading to Griffin Lloyd. It's a steep learning curve you're on. http://www.shootclay...__fromsearch__1

OT is the purest form of the trap disciplines - the five stands are independant and you face directly forward each time [not towards the centre at all]

Etiquette to remember is never leave your peg before the gun on your right has shot and don't twitch until the gun on your left has finished his shot then no-one will know you're a newbie. Otherwise you'll look like a DTL escapee.

Your targets will crossover 12" above the marker ahead of you. Start by focus and gunhold there. When the target comes past you, swing through it and pull the trigger as you pass its back edge. Do not measure the leed on the target or you'll look like you spent a life in sporting. The hedgemonkeys take months to stop doing this.

For the rest have a look at the other thread. Good luck, the water is deep and I do advise you practice before you leap. Don't enter a golf comp. as soon as you've bought your clubs - get on the practice range first.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a thread on here re OT coaching that I replied to - have a read of that. I think I remember you were heading to Griffin Lloyd. It's a steep learning curve you're on.

OT is the purest form of the trap disciplines - the five stands are independant and you face directly forward each time [not towards the centre at all]

Etiquette to remember is never leave your peg before the gun on your right has shot and don't twitch until the gun on your left has finished his shot then no-one will know you're a newbie. Otherwise you'll look like a DTL escapee.

Your targets will crossover 12" above the marker ahead of you. Start by focus and gunhold there. When the target comes past you, swing through it and pull the trigger as you pass it's back edge. Do not measure the leed on the target or you'll look like you spent a life in sporting. The hedgemonkeys take months to stop doing this.

For the rest have a look at the other thread. Good luck, the water is deep and I do advise you practice before you leap. Don't enter a golf comp. as soon as you've bought your clubs - get on the practice range first.
My hero. Knew you would save the day (wink).

There's a thread on here re OT coaching that I replied to - have a read of that. I think I remember you were heading to Griffin Lloyd. It's a steep learning curve you're on. http://www.shootclay...__fromsearch__1

Your targets will crossover 12" above the marker ahead of you. Start by focus and gunhold there. When the target comes past you, swing through it and pull the trigger as you pass it's back edge. Do not measure the leed on the target or you'll look like you spent a life in sporting. The hedgemonkeys take months to stop doing this.

great thanks. I have shot OT but years ago and my mind is somewhat struggling to remember! Ok, so i'll hold the gun above the trap house height. IIRC birds come from any of the 3 traps and largely go anywhere i.e., a right hand or left hand bird from the left or right traps, low high variations etc?

I'm looking forward to it!

my advice NEWBIE is treat them all as going aways that way you wont go far wrong!!!

Your targets will crossover 12" above the marker ahead of you. Start by focus and gunhold there. When the target comes past you, swing through it and pull the trigger as you pass its back edge. Do not measure the leed on the target or you'll look like you spent a life in sporting. The hedgemonkeys take months to stop doing this.

excellent thanks! Off for some practice tomorrow so have a slab of 24gr and some a whole bag of excitement to keep me company.

so gun hold at the 12in cross point. does that imply that left hand traps throw right as well as left ....

lets hope they dont have a ginshop there with perazzis to try!

Newbie, remember that YOU can use 28gram as well, being a newbie to the discipline. But frankly, get some good 24gram and get used to them asap.

OT is the F1 of clayshooting and you wouldn't do F1 using the incorrect gear would you?

A word of warning though about OT and all the Trap disciplines, you will meet some very nice friendly people without bigheads or ego's, don't be put off by this, some of them DO shoot Sporting as well in moments of weakness. :smile:

Newbie, remember that YOU can use 28gram as well, being a newbie to the discipline. But frankly, get some good 24gram and get used to them asap.

OT is the F1 of clayshooting and you wouldn't do F1 using the incorrect gear would you?

A word of warning though about OT and all the Trap disciplines, you will meet some very nice friendly people without bigheads or ego's, don't be put off by this, some of them DO shoot Sporting as well in moments of weakness. :smile:
thank you. I was a bit confused re the 24 v 28gr thing, if i am unclassified and shot using 28s and end up in A or B by fluke then i'm scuppered.... :-(

I'm off in a mo for some practice to see how things go. I always used to love OT and really enjoy the faster targets so fingers crossed my next post isnt a wanted add for a perazzi MX8 trap!

well that was windy! Went to SW2000. Did 50 ABT and then 50 OT. I liked the ground but found the backdrop really hard to get to grips with glasses on. I use oakley M frames with various lenses. the backdrop was 1/3rd grass and fields and then bright sky. i found once i'd picked up the bird i then lost it in the whiteness. ripped the glasses off and much better!

did i mention it was windy, barrels were getting battered all over the place. Results ABT a 22 then 21. OT 2 x 20s. i loved the OT! the miroku seemed fine but i was struggling on the OT to find a place to pick the birds up. if i held at the clay on the trap house (OT) i felt behind many targets especially the wide ones. if i held high the angled low ones i was behind and chasing, that and high hold meant picking the birds up was hard too (wide rib?) i missed 2 hard right handers on OT and then one quartering high bird as the wind gusted and i almost fell over. Twinged my back too which really isnt in a good shape anyhow!

All in all, loved it. The fiocchi 24gr top ones seemed nails, smooth and thumped the clays. might be shopping for a perazzi next week......

If you do go Perazzi shopping next week, could you pick me up an MX2005 as well? Ta!!

Where'd you find the bright sky? I'd love to see bright sky, I remember when we had bright sky everywhere ,,,those were the days

Where'd you find the bright sky? I'd love to see bright sky, I remember when we had bright sky everywhere ,,,those were the days
well, when i say bright i mean stark contract to the dull green field and the clouds were at that stage deep white moving quickly left to right and going black! still managed to lose the clays in the transition.

Can anyone recommend any good glasses?

28gm was brought in for C and D class so newcomers could try the discipline with their usual cartridges. Unfortunately newcomers can only be in C or D when classified 6 months after they've started... :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
28gm was brought in for C and D class so newcomers could try the discipline with their usual cartridges. Unfortunately newcomers can only be in C or D when classified 6 months after they've started... :huh:
so i could be in any class based on random averages until then? bugger....

Latest posts

Back